Fixing Roboto, Somewhat

OP noll5326

16th September 2013, 04:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

14 posts
I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original G2.jpg
Views:	2112
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2260658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galaxy Nexus.jpg
Views:	1918
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2260659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified G2.jpg
Views:	1813
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2260660  
Attached Files
File Type: zip system_fonts.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 400 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to noll5326 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 77

437 posts
If rooted, u can use jrummys font app, and install any font the app has, it replaces the roboto font in stock font settings....

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canecbr600 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2013, 12:24 AM   |  #3  
Flag north texas
Thanks Meter: 213

2,335 posts
More
@noll5326, thanks for sharing. I'm a fan of the 4.2 bold font hours/light font minutes clock and your tweak fixed this issue on my G2.

sent from my GN2 / GS4
27th September 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 381

40 posts
If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Assuming you put the roboto files at /sdcard/roboto
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/roboto/*.ttf /system/fonts
This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
Code:
mkdir /sdcard/roboto-stock
cp /system/fonts/Roboto* /sdcard/roboto-stock
After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sefnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th September 2013, 09:52 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4

76 posts
More
Thanks for posting this, this was (oddly?) one of my bigger concerns in researching this phone. Will give it a try when I get it.
24th November 2013, 12:38 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 39

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noll5326

I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefnap

If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Assuming you put the roboto files at /sdcard/roboto

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/roboto/*.ttf /system/fonts
This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
Code:
mkdir /sdcard/roboto-stock
cp /system/fonts/Roboto* /sdcard/roboto-stock
After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!

Thanks for this guys, much appreciated. I combined both of these procedures and now have all stock android roboto system fonts that render perfectly everywhere, most notably in the play store. FYI: I ended up just using root explorer to move both the xml file as well as all of the stock font files to the proper directories, changed permissions and rebooted. Good as gold
Last edited by slider112; 24th November 2013 at 10:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to slider112 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th November 2013, 09:38 PM   |  #7  
Flag Osijek
Thanks Meter: 487

1,464 posts
More
Followed the instructions and now everything looks as it's supposed to!

DashClock now looks great.
25th November 2013, 10:52 AM   |  #8  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 4

53 posts
Much appreciated indeed !! Thanks vm.
26th November 2013, 07:10 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 108

1,562 posts
can someone make a zip
thanks in advance
26th November 2013, 07:49 AM   |  #10  
Flag Osijek
Thanks Meter: 487

1,464 posts
More
Um... is pasting a couple of files really that big of a problem?

I reckon it can be made, yes... I might just give it a go.

EDIT: okay, here it is.

NOTE: I have not tested this and I don't know whether it works properly! I am not responsible if you mess up your system or your phone. Do a nandroid backup first!

Download from attachment or this link.
Attached Files
File Type: zip roboto_fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.19 MB, 87 views)
Last edited by robogo1982; 26th November 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg g2, roboto, root
Previous Thread Next Thread