Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 43,853 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root methods.

Tip us?

Frank Westlake
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Default Root methods.

I just bought a T-Mobile Note 3 (N-900T) with 4.4.2 out of the box and have been looking through a billion posts trying to figure out how to root it. Some of the things I read suggest that something else might have been done first, because I'm joining in the middle of the ball game. So far I think I've found four ways to root:

1. Root de la Vega (for 4.4.2?).
2. Install TWRP (Installs Recovery and su?).
3. CF Auto Root (trips Knox?).

See how confused I am? I lost the fourth way. I can't figure out if any actually work on a new 4.4.2.

My desire is root and Recovery, no custom ROM and no Kingo/Vroot.

Comments please.

Frank

asctony
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I agree with you. I have been researching this subject and still not sure what to use to ROOT. I rooted my Note 2 using Kingo Android Root and that was so simple.

Don't really know if I can use Kingo Android Root for 4.4.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake View Post
I just bought a T-Mobile Note 3 (N-900T) with 4.4.2 out of the box and have been looking through a billion posts trying to figure out how to root it. Some of the things I read suggest that something else might have been done first, because I'm joining in the middle of the ball game. So far I think I've found four ways to root:

1. Root de la Vega (for 4.4.2?).
2. Install TWRP (Installs Recovery and su?).
3. CF Auto Root (trips Knox?).

See how confused I am? I lost the fourth way. I can't figure out if any actually work on a new 4.4.2.

My desire is root and Recovery, no custom ROM and no Kingo/Vroot.

Comments please.

Frank

PhantomBrave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I used CF auto root. look into something called triangle away.

I plan to keep my phone regardless, and I take care of it. There's always odin if you screw up so...

FFTony
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I built this tread just because I have answered this question about 4 times in the last two days. It is a work in progress but I hope to help others with their rooting questions. Hope this helps and if you have questions please ask it in my thread so I can make updates. Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2704340
SM-N900T Powered by X-Note V13/CivZ-SnapKat 2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to FFTony For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 137
To OP - why don't you want to use Kingosoft?

I use Kingosoft, no KNOX trip, work just fine for almost 1 month now. Also, I can unroot easily if I want to. In my past experience with Samsung phones, unrooting can be as complex as rooting it in the first place, so I appreciate the ability to unroot easily with Kingosoft.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

tygerchylde
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
To OP - why don't you want to use Kingosoft?

I use Kingosoft, no KNOX trip, work just fine for almost 1 month now. Also, I can unroot easily if I want to. In my past experience with Samsung phones, unrooting can be as complex as rooting it in the first place, so I appreciate the ability to unroot easily with Kingosoft.
Just as a clarification:
You have 4.4.2, rooted with that method, and it didn't trip the Knox counter?
The Following User Says Thank You to tygerchylde For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sardonik
Old
Thanks Meter 8
As far as I understand it, there is currently no way to root a 4.4.2 Note 3 which doesn't trip Knox. There is some trickery where you can attain root on 4.4.2 without tripping Knox using Mobile Odin Pro, but that process requires that you to start on 4.3.

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerchylde View Post
Just as a clarification:
You have 4.4.2, rooted with that method, and it didn't trip the Knox counter?
Oh crap, I didn't know you have 4.4.2. Sorry, Kingo won't work with Kit Kat.

I have 4.3.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

imaleecher
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Once your are on 4.4.2, there is currently no way to root it without tripping the KNOX. There are several ways to root but all will trigger the KNOX flag.

asctony
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTony View Post
I built this tread just because I have answered this question about 4 times in the last two days. It is a work in progress but I hope to help others with their rooting questions. Hope this helps and if you have questions please ask it in my thread so I can make updates. Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2704340
Thanks for your posting and info. Read it and you go into a lot of detail.
I guess I am too lazy to try to go through so many steps to root. I personally am looking for a program that will Root without all the additional things to download and install, etc. Until that program is identified, I will remain Stock and unRooted. Personally I am not worried about tripping Knox as I keep my phones for 1 year then pass them down to wife or kids when I upgrade.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaleecher View Post
Once your are on 4.4.2, there is currently no way to root it without tripping the KNOX. There are several ways to root but all will trigger the KNOX flag.
I am not worried about tripping KNOX. Is there one program like Kingo Android Root that I used on my Note 2 to Root the Note 3? If so, please let us know what it is. Thanks!