Root methods.

OP Frank Westlake

2nd April 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172

480 posts
More
I just bought a T-Mobile Note 3 (N-900T) with 4.4.2 out of the box and have been looking through a billion posts trying to figure out how to root it. Some of the things I read suggest that something else might have been done first, because I'm joining in the middle of the ball game. So far I think I've found four ways to root:

1. Root de la Vega (for 4.4.2?).
2. Install TWRP (Installs Recovery and su?).
3. CF Auto Root (trips Knox?).

See how confused I am? I lost the fourth way. I can't figure out if any actually work on a new 4.4.2.

My desire is root and Recovery, no custom ROM and no Kingo/Vroot.

Comments please.

Frank
3rd April 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #2  
MI
Thanks Meter: 14

460 posts
More
I agree with you. I have been researching this subject and still not sure what to use to ROOT. I rooted my Note 2 using Kingo Android Root and that was so simple.

Don't really know if I can use Kingo Android Root for 4.4.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake

I just bought a T-Mobile Note 3 (N-900T) with 4.4.2 out of the box and have been looking through a billion posts trying to figure out how to root it. Some of the things I read suggest that something else might have been done first, because I'm joining in the middle of the ball game. So far I think I've found four ways to root:

1. Root de la Vega (for 4.4.2?).
2. Install TWRP (Installs Recovery and su?).
3. CF Auto Root (trips Knox?).

See how confused I am? I lost the fourth way. I can't figure out if any actually work on a new 4.4.2.

My desire is root and Recovery, no custom ROM and no Kingo/Vroot.

Comments please.

Frank

3rd April 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
I used CF auto root. look into something called triangle away.

I plan to keep my phone regardless, and I take care of it. There's always odin if you screw up so...
3rd April 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #4  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 20

73 posts
More
I built this tread just because I have answered this question about 4 times in the last two days. It is a work in progress but I hope to help others with their rooting questions. Hope this helps and if you have questions please ask it in my thread so I can make updates. Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2704340
The Following User Says Thank You to FFTony For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 147

2,176 posts
To OP - why don't you want to use Kingosoft?

I use Kingosoft, no KNOX trip, work just fine for almost 1 month now. Also, I can unroot easily if I want to. In my past experience with Samsung phones, unrooting can be as complex as rooting it in the first place, so I appreciate the ability to unroot easily with Kingosoft.
3rd April 2014, 12:59 PM   |  #6  
Flag Taylors
Thanks Meter: 10

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

To OP - why don't you want to use Kingosoft?

I use Kingosoft, no KNOX trip, work just fine for almost 1 month now. Also, I can unroot easily if I want to. In my past experience with Samsung phones, unrooting can be as complex as rooting it in the first place, so I appreciate the ability to unroot easily with Kingosoft.

Just as a clarification:
You have 4.4.2, rooted with that method, and it didn't trip the Knox counter?
The Following User Says Thank You to tygerchylde For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 8

82 posts
As far as I understand it, there is currently no way to root a 4.4.2 Note 3 which doesn't trip Knox. There is some trickery where you can attain root on 4.4.2 without tripping Knox using Mobile Odin Pro, but that process requires that you to start on 4.3.
3rd April 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 147

2,176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerchylde

Just as a clarification:
You have 4.4.2, rooted with that method, and it didn't trip the Knox counter?

Oh crap, I didn't know you have 4.4.2. Sorry, Kingo won't work with Kit Kat.

I have 4.3.
3rd April 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 15

105 posts
Once your are on 4.4.2, there is currently no way to root it without tripping the KNOX. There are several ways to root but all will trigger the KNOX flag.
4th April 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #10  
MI
Thanks Meter: 14

460 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTony

I built this tread just because I have answered this question about 4 times in the last two days. It is a work in progress but I hope to help others with their rooting questions. Hope this helps and if you have questions please ask it in my thread so I can make updates. Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2704340

Thanks for your posting and info. Read it and you go into a lot of detail.
I guess I am too lazy to try to go through so many steps to root. I personally am looking for a program that will Root without all the additional things to download and install, etc. Until that program is identified, I will remain Stock and unRooted. Personally I am not worried about tripping Knox as I keep my phones for 1 year then pass them down to wife or kids when I upgrade.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaleecher

Once your are on 4.4.2, there is currently no way to root it without tripping the KNOX. There are several ways to root but all will trigger the KNOX flag.

I am not worried about tripping KNOX. Is there one program like Kingo Android Root that I used on my Note 2 to Root the Note 3? If so, please let us know what it is. Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread