Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,803 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S Calendar and Google Calendar notifications reset on power off

Tip us?
 
cristobalwong
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default [Q] S Calendar and Google Calendar notifications reset on power off

Hi XDA Developers Community!

Recently I noticed calendar notification settings (of both S Calendar and Google Calendar app) cleared upon power off of my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I'm trying to turn off all S Calendar notifications while leaving on all Google Calendar notifications (prefer this app).

Main questions:
-Has anyone else experienced this?
-Does anyone know if S Calendar and Google Calendar notification settings are tied to one another?

Samsung technical support is suggesting a factory reset**. As I want to avoid a hard reset, I tried to troubleshoot on my own and noted the below scenario highlighting notification setting status of both S Calendar and Google Calendar before/after power off:


Quote:
S Calendar:
Before powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
Under "Event notification"
>Set alerts & notifications
>"Off" (radio button selected)

After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
Under "Event notification"
>Set alerts & notifications
>"Status bar notification" (radio button selected)

Google Calendar app
Before powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (checked)
>Pop-up notification (checked)

After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (unchecked)
>Pop-up notification (unchecked)


Would appreciate if anyone has any insight into this!

**After contacting Samsung technical support, this is what I was told:
-Tech support initially said that it has to do with removing the battery and said that Google Calendar + S Calendar notification settings are linked to one another.
-(After telling tech support it happened w/o removing the battery and just powering off), technician rescinded original statement
-Then said, should not be happening and suggested a factory reset.

Thanks,
cristobalwong
 
herpi
Old
(Last edited by herpi; 31st October 2012 at 07:26 AM.)
#2  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 413
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucharest
Same problem here.

Identical as written above, but :
After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SII:
Google calendar:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (checked) typo?
>Pop-up notification (unchecked)

S Calendar:
Notifications sounds are reset to "On time" sound after a reboot.

Google calendar:
The notification sound is unchanged.
But after a second reboot the Google Calendar sound has set itself the same as the S Calendar ("On time").



so, after each reboot/power off:

S Calendar:
I should manually set the status bar notifications to off to prevent double view in the status view.

Google Calendar:
I have to redo my sound settings because Google calendar takes over the S Calendar settings.

My Google calendar Status bar notifications looks like off but they appear on the staus bar.
I do not change/check them.

Huib
HTC SHIFT --TytnII--MacBook Air--Qosmio WMCE--Wii--Xbox--TouchPro--TouchPro 2-Galaxy sII
 
cristobalwong
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Huib, so it seems like it's not an isolated issue to my device and a factory reset may not be the solution. May just be the interference between S Calendar and Google Calendar perhaps? I wonder if deleting/reinstalling Google Calendar might help the cause.

It's just a hassle to turn off notifications on S Calendar after a reboot. I have multiple batteries so usually after recharging one, I'll switch to another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpi View Post
Same problem here.

Identical as written above, but :
After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SII:
Google calendar:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (checked) typo?
>Pop-up notification (unchecked)

S Calendar:
Notifications sounds are reset to "On time" sound after a reboot.

Google calendar:
The notification sound is unchanged.
But after a second reboot the Google Calendar sound has set itself the same as the S Calendar ("On time").



so, after each reboot/power off:

S Calendar:
I should manually set the status bar notifications to off to prevent double view in the status view.

Google Calendar:
I have to redo my sound settings because Google calendar takes over the S Calendar settings.

My Google calendar Status bar notifications looks like off but they appear on the staus bar.
I do not change/check them.

Huib
 
herpi
Old
(Last edited by herpi; 2nd November 2012 at 07:18 AM.)
#4  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 413
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucharest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobalwong View Post
Huib, so it seems like it's not an isolated issue to my device and a factory reset may not be the solution. May just be the interference between S Calendar and Google Calendar perhaps? I wonder if deleting/reinstalling Google Calendar might help the cause.

It's just a hassle to turn off notifications on S Calendar after a reboot. I have multiple batteries so usually after recharging one, I'll switch to another...
I already did a delete/reinstall. no difference.
After that had some problems with sync settings: S calendar was empty. But maybe I should have waited.
Played with the sync settings, reinstalled Google but do not remember what I did to make it working again.

So, sound settings not solved.

It must have to do with the samsung/google combi.

Strange that there are few complaints.

Huib
HTC SHIFT --TytnII--MacBook Air--Qosmio WMCE--Wii--Xbox--TouchPro--TouchPro 2-Galaxy sII
 
cristobalwong
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2012
I will have to see if my sounds are effected--to date, have not noticed it. Hopefully others will see this thread and contribute their experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpi View Post
I already did a delete/reinstall. no difference.
After that had some problems with sync settings: S calendar was empty. But maybe I should have waited.
Played with the sync settings, reinstalled Google but do not remember what I did to make it working again.

So, sound settings not solved.

It must have to do with the samsung/google combi.

Strange that there are few complaints.

Huib
 
mwoo
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have the same issue here. I hoped the JB 4.1 update would fix, but it didn't. I did factory reset, and that didn't fix it either.

* Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint
 
WePlay
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 59
Join Date: Feb 2011
Any news on this ? I have the same problem and it is annoying.
 
herpi
Old
#8  
herpi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 413
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucharest
New version of Google Calendar didn't solve it eiher.
HTC SHIFT --TytnII--MacBook Air--Qosmio WMCE--Wii--Xbox--TouchPro--TouchPro 2-Galaxy sII
 
DanG82
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Same exact issue here. I have the Sprint Galaxy S III with Jelly Bean and both S Calendar and Google Calendar installed. Hopefully Samsung or Google will address this in a future update.
 
InternetKing
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jun 2012
I'm seeing the exact same issue here on an I9300.

The google calendar/S Planner "default reminder time" changes from "off" to "15 mins" every time I reboot the phone.

Does anyone have solution yet?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Sony PS4 Remote Play Ported to All Android Devices

Im pretty sure that every informed gamer out there perked their ears up when Sony came out … more

Change Your Samsung Galaxy S2’s Dialer Background in Real Time

As with anything, if youve looked at something long enough, things can … more

Increase Your Multitasking Workflow with C-Floating Windows

Technology has put life on the fast track. Lazy, relaxed days have turned into … more

Compile Your Own Kernel From Source with Comprehensive Tutorial

One glance at any developer section of any device forum on XDA and youll find … more