Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,706 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT OTA 4.3 rooted, but still need unlock

Tip us?

aznatama
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ATT OTA 4.3 rooted, but still need unlock

I swtiched to t-mobile from ATT, expecting that I can call ATT and get an unlock code fast. However, they moved to some stupid online unlock code request method, which after 5 days, has not resulted in any more than "we are currently working on it."

So after reading more and more about unlocking my S3, it seems like everyone is having problems unlocking 4.3, and there's talk about how a firmware downgrade or root will brick a OTA 4.3 phone.

My phone is now rooted with a custom bootloader, all done AFTER upgrading to OTA 4.3. not sure if it'll help anyone out, but here's what I did:

1. started with official att 4.2 rom installed, completely stock phone.
2. tried the debug menu sim unlock method, did not have the appropriate menu, someone suggested to upgrade to latest firmware.
3. upgraded to OTA 4.3
4. tried debug sim unlock, still no initializ option
5. Installed custom recovery via odin
6. Did not install due to recovery/bootloader override files in 4.3 rom, also could not rename/delete these files
7. Used CF-auto-root to root phone, using the latest odin, NOT 1.85 as linked in the CF-auto-root thread
8. Used the samsung toolbox and flashed touch recovery
9. Updated SuperSU to latest version using apk file, backed up relevant data using Titanium, disabled KNOX, etc.
10. Loaded StockMOD ROM | AT&T 4.3 UCUEMJ2 onto SD card, and flashed new rom using touch recovery

*I was trying a ton of things last night, so there may have been an omitted step here, but this is essentially what I did.

Phone now rooted and running StockMOD 4.3 with no problems.

BUT IT'S STILL SIM LOCKED!! <- need help with this

aircooledbusses
Old
(Last edited by aircooledbusses; 28th March 2014 at 10:56 PM.) Reason: updated response/link added
Thanks Meter 121
my experience is only unlocking from 4.1.1 stock, then updating. after re-reading your post this method may not work, and it sounds like you already tried it.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/unlock...-devices-free/
sgh i747 Pwn's latest kernel
GT-I9070 Vanir
Nexus 7 Carbon ROM Glitched
ADR6300 Touch of Blue
Nexus S handed down to my son
sgh i500 Parandroid -handed down

us my referral code for COPY please 5gig bonus for you and me!
https://copy.com?r=iBySZk

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
I swtiched to t-mobile from ATT, expecting that I can call ATT and get an unlock code fast. However, they moved to some stupid online unlock code request method, which after 5 days, has not resulted in any more than "we are currently working on it."

So after reading more and more about unlocking my S3, it seems like everyone is having problems unlocking 4.3, and there's talk about how a firmware downgrade or root will brick a OTA 4.3 phone.

My phone is now rooted with a custom bootloader, all done AFTER upgrading to OTA 4.3. not sure if it'll help anyone out, but here's what I did:

1. started with official att 4.2 rom installed, completely stock phone.
2. tried the debug menu sim unlock method, did not have the appropriate menu, someone suggested to upgrade to latest firmware.
3. upgraded to OTA 4.3
4. tried debug sim unlock, still no initializ option
5. Installed custom recovery via odin
6. Did not install due to recovery/bootloader override files in 4.3 rom, also could not rename/delete these files
7. Used CF-auto-root to root phone, using the latest odin, NOT 1.85 as linked in the CF-auto-root thread
8. Used the samsung toolbox and flashed touch recovery
9. Updated SuperSU to latest version using apk file, backed up relevant data using Titanium, disabled KNOX, etc.
10. Loaded StockMOD ROM | AT&T 4.3 UCUEMJ2 onto SD card, and flashed new rom using touch recovery

*I was trying a ton of things last night, so there may have been an omitted step here, but this is essentially what I did.

Phone now rooted and running StockMOD 4.3 with no problems.

BUT IT'S STILL SIM LOCKED!! <- need help with this
Afraid it may remain locked until you actually have the unlock code. So far, nobody has posted a (credible) report of being able to unlock for free once you've taken the 4.3 update. Unfortunately, the advice you got on upgrading to 4.3 was wrong because you could have safely downgraded from 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 where the free unlock option would have been available.

Your best bet would, therefore, to put more pressure on AT&T for the unlock code. If you are eligible, they should oblige.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 352
In order to enter the unlock code, you need to be running and stock ROM.

aznatama
Old
(Last edited by aznatama; 2nd April 2014 at 05:07 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
^ I was just about to ask that... I'll need to get the stock ROM again now...

So I got the stock rom, and I used touch recovery to install the zip... but it said it failed??

So I tried this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

Forgot which one I used.. I think the CWM version. Flashed w/ Touch Recovery, and the unlock code worked! woo hoo!!

Now to re-root my phone and install all my apps again... T_T

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
^ I was just about to ask that... I'll need to get the stock ROM again now...

So I got the stock rom, and I used touch recovery to install the zip... but it said it failed??

So I tried this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

Forgot which one I used.. I think the CWM version. Flashed w/ Touch Recovery, and the unlock code worked! woo hoo!!

Now to re-root my phone and install all my apps again... T_T

Now that you have stock 4.3, try Method 2 in the thread below to root ....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538991

aznatama
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I was able to root just fine. Thanks though.

Actually, the touch recovery asked if I wanted to install supersu right after I flashed the original 4.3 recovery, and I said yes. This still allowed me to unlock since it was still stock att rom. I'm now running OSE 4.4. =)