Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,794 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kenwood DNN990HD - Android 4.0.4 car stereo - How to get started with rooting?

Tip us?

sofakng
Old
(Last edited by sofakng; 7th May 2013 at 07:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Kenwood DNN990HD - Android 4.0.4 car stereo - How to get started with rooting?

There is a new line of Kenwood car stereos ("DNN" series) including the DNN990HD and DNN790HD.

They are running Android and another thread suggests it's running the following version:
Code:
Kernal version
3.0.8-tcc
Root@prominence #2
Mon apr 22 16:36:28 jst 2013

Build number
Binks_v8-userdebug 4.0.4 IMM76D eng.root.20130422 test-keys
How can I get started with trying to install the Play Store and/or root the device?

There are two female USB ports on the back but I don't think it has any other ports.

Should I purchase a USB male-to-male cable and try to connect both ports to my PC? ...and then run "adb devices" ?

Can anybody give me any other tips?

siralsmooth
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I did notice that there're is a 4 pin connector hidden under a clear plactic tab on the right side of the unit. It is either a J-tag or a proprietary USB connector. The older models with WindowsCE core had a 6 pin connector under the same plastic tab. I have a feeling that's a clue to adb access. On a side note, I tried almosst every possible button press/hold combo upon reset/boot to try to find recovery with no success. And while the android version is build 8 the Kenwood build is version is 1.0. I have a feeling that the only other way in will involve modifying an update file.

-Sent from a secret place in an unknown location.
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB/64GB SD - 4.3 TW Jellybean
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB
Nexus 7 Grouper - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
Tronsmart MK908 Mini PC - Finless ROM

Old Devices

HP Touchpad 64GB/1.8OC - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
HP Touchpad 32GB -CM9
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 -Boeffla 4.4 - KitKat
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc - Jellybean
Motorola MPx220 * Sony Ericsson W800i * Sony Ericsson W810
Sony Ericsson K790i - Brown * Nokia N82 * Nokia N96 * Apple iPhone 3GS - Red

sofakng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by siralsmooth View Post
I did notice that there're is a 4 pin connector hidden under a clear plactic tab on the right side of the unit. It is either a J-tag or a proprietary USB connector. The older models with WindowsCE core had a 6 pin connector under the same plastic tab. I have a feeling that's a clue to adb access. On a side note, I tried almosst every possible button press/hold combo upon reset/boot to try to find recovery with no success. And while the android version is build 8 the Kenwood build is version is 1.0. I have a feeling that the only other way in will involve modifying an update file.

-Sent from a secret place in an unknown location.
Thanks for the information!

Do you have a picture of the connector?

USB is 4 pins so maybe it's just a different connector on one side of the cable? (to prevent people from "easily" plugging in a USB A-to-B cable)

...or maybe it's a serial port requiring a USB-to-RS232 cable? (like what is used to update the Metra Axxess ASWX-1 steering wheel adapter)

siralsmooth
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Here is a photo of the connector as well as a couple of other photos. If it is a rs232 like the flashlogic or xk loader, then it's essentially J-tag. Been a while since I did any J-tag modding though. I also tried plugging in the flashlogic/idatalink loader to the back plug and got nowhere as well. So far, I've found that you can plug in a usb keyboard and mouse for full easy control. I tried to use the browser for a file tree listing but it returns nothing. I was unable to figure out the mount path for the usb flash when connected, or I otherwise would have tried to run/install an apk directly. I also accessed gmail via the web window, changed the UA string for desktop, and tried to download an apk I sent myself with no luck, download showed up, but never started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130507_192300[1].jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1950098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130507_192307[1].jpg
Views:	1793
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	1950099   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130507_200214[1].jpg
Views:	2433
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1950100  
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB/64GB SD - 4.3 TW Jellybean
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB
Nexus 7 Grouper - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
Tronsmart MK908 Mini PC - Finless ROM

Old Devices

HP Touchpad 64GB/1.8OC - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
HP Touchpad 32GB -CM9
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 -Boeffla 4.4 - KitKat
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc - Jellybean
Motorola MPx220 * Sony Ericsson W800i * Sony Ericsson W810
Sony Ericsson K790i - Brown * Nokia N82 * Nokia N96 * Apple iPhone 3GS - Red

enalborno
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So I just downloaded the Google play store.apk file online (did a google search and downloaded the APK) and then uploaded the apk to my dropbox account. I then opened the browser in the DNN990HD and went to the dropbox.com website, logged in, and downloaded the apk file. It downloaded fine and I then launched it. I then got an error message saying "Install Blocked For security, your tablet is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market."

Normally this is no big deal because you just go to applications and allow unknown sources to be installed on your device but Kenwood has hidden or gotten rid of that menu item so I can't access it. It looks like the next step is to figure out some sort of update.zip file but I haven't figured out if there's a way to get into the android bootloader on this thing.

Any other ideas out there yet?

sofakng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I don't have anything to contribute, but I really, really hope some of the XDA guys can figure this out...

2003vstrom
Old
Thanks Meter 28
yeah this is a sweet radio, Installed it last weekend and love it,I used the Idatalink Maestro RR and i have all of my vehicle info on the radio screen it a sweet set-up, would be nice to install a regular gmail app and the play store, i`m wonder how much processor it has to run all of this stuff already. I wish I could figure out how to keep the Sirius replay off permanently.

sshams95
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Need to find a developer and probably enough donations raised to accomplish this.

Sim-X
Old
Thanks Meter 126
I just put one of these in my car, it's pretty nice. I already noticed a force close on the launcher, lol. It only happened once I have since updated the BT firmware & software. What pisses me off it was suppose to have spotify support out of the box and I can't find any information on it really. I'm hoping this gets added with an update.I also wish they would have included OTA update support, you have to download it manually from kenwood & use a flashdrive.

IGO2UA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default DNN990HD Bluetooth Pairing

Has anyone had problems pairing their device with the DNN990HD? After installing the Kenwood firmware update I can't get the Pandora app on the head unit to connect to my Galaxy S4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.