Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Radio Performance

Tip us?

zim2704
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Radio Performance

I am curious as to how the phones signal has been for those that own it. I currently have the S3 and have had it since launch but don't like how it gets stuck in 3g or 1x when losing 4g temporarily even though I know i'm back into a good 4g area. Overall signal is good but the transfer between 1x/3g back to 4g is terrible and my next phone i'm hoping to avoid all the frustration.

I have thought of buying the moto x just because its motorola and they're known for good radios. I have some time and am thinking of waiting until the moto x2 or g3 but its one of those things where why wait if it's good.

Thanks in advance.

lucky_strike33
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2704 View Post
I am curious as to how the phones signal has been for those that own it. I currently have the S3 and have had it since launch but don't like how it gets stuck in 3g or 1x when losing 4g temporarily even though I know i'm back into a good 4g area. Overall signal is good but the transfer between 1x/3g back to 4g is terrible and my next phone i'm hoping to avoid all the frustration.

I have thought of buying the moto x just because its motorola and they're known for good radios. I have some time and am thinking of waiting until the moto x2 or g3 but its one of those things where why wait if it's good.

Thanks in advance.
To be honest with you. Samsung has the worst radios. I had an s3 and it dropped signal too many times. I then got the HTC DNA and it was so much better. I believe HTC has a way better radio than Samsung.

My All New One

robocuff
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I was kind of concerned about this too before I bought mine. I come from a long list of Moto phones. The only non Moto phone I've had was a Rezound. I had it for all of one day. The darn thing would only ring probably 1 out of 4 calls I received. 1 out of 3 if I was lucky. I took it back the day after I bought it and they looked at it and told me there was nothing wrong with it. Well, I've never had a problem like that in my house with any Moto phone. So, I told them to keep it and went home with a Razr Maxx. You can see why I was concerned.

Anyway, I have to say, this phone has the best radio or at least the best reception of any phone I've owned. I work in an area that is quite iffy as far as a signal goes and my Moto phones would hold a pretty good signal there but depending on where I was at any given time, I would lose the signal and have to walk around a bit to get it back. In the shop there, forget it. I pretty much had nothing. The signal on this phone shows it's slightly weaker at work than my Maxx but it's worked flawlessly for me out there. I can even take it in the shop and it works great. Signal is weak but somehow it seems to hang onto it. Listened to Tune In Radio for 5 hours in there today and never lost the signal once.

I also went to a town today where it's worse than at work. My Moto phones there would work but constantly on and off. I was listening to Tune In there today too and it did have one hiccup for 10 seconds or so but that was it in a half hour's time. But, that doesn't surprise me in that location. What does surprise me is that it only stopped once. No way any of my Moto phones would do that well there. Anyway, maybe I'm just lucky but I'm extremely pleased with mine and don't regret buying it at all.

bakemcbride21
Old
Thanks Meter 99
The old faithful LTE ON/OFF FOR thunderbolt app still works like a charm to control the radio bands on an HTC phone.

Highly recommend to install to force lte or 3g when needed.

broprah
Old
Thanks Meter 61
The S3 in particular had a wretched radio, I couldn't get signal for the life of me in my house. Verizon ended up replacing it for me with a Note 2 which was better in many regards. The radio so far on the M8 has blown the note 2 out of the water, it doesn't even compare. I get a steady 10-20 asu improvement over what I used to get with the note 2 in most situations.

zim2704
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Liking what I've read so far.

deeznuts
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Been so so for me. I've always had ATT and personally only had bad reception in my home. Almost anywhere else I had 4g LTE everywhere. Never saw Edge connection, worst was 3G.

I just switched to Verizon for this device when it came out so first time with Verizon. I get better 4g LTE connection at home but I've noticed in stores I get only 1x (is this Edge type of network compared to AT&T?) Or maybe 1-2 bars of 3G. Only get 4G LTE when outdoors. Even inside huge Target, Wal-Mart, whatever get cfao reception when on AT&T this was never an issue. This might be a carrier thing though, nothing to do with this device but again nothing to compare to, first device and time on Verizon network. Surprising too living in southern California where LTE is literally everywhere here. Actually had much higher hopes for Verizon network, feeling let done here.
Device: Verizon HTC One (M8)
Current Rom: Stock