Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 40,609 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]How to recover deleted video. Not rooted S3.

Tip us?

fakematt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q]How to recover deleted video. Not rooted S3.

Hey guys,

A friend of mine got a video on his phone deleted by another friend and was just wondering what options are there to recover it. I did a bit of research and found out that the new OS 4.0+ changed the USB mass storage system and is not letting windows manage it anymore. I've looked at multiple data recovery softwares already but I don't think its the software that I need help with, more like I need help with certain configurations or work arounds to be able to mount the phone's internal memory. Thanks ahead of time.

Nexii
Old
Thanks Meter 92
It's gone yo. You cant recover it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

greenflaw
Old
(Last edited by greenflaw; 8th October 2012 at 12:58 PM.) Reason: didnt notice you mention not rooted
Thanks Meter 1
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apps.undelete

Try using this, no guarantee it will recover your file but worth a try.

No way to recover unless you are rooted.

I recovered some pictures but never tried videos

fakematt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
dang.. i'll do some more research and give that app a try. thanks for your input guys and if i find a solution.

mnkhzrg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Have you ever heard about sgh i747 unlock? My friend can not use at&t i747 unless removing network lock from AT&T?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fakematt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry I have no idea what that is. I've tried my other option with trying to run the software on a mac instead but no luck. If anyone finds anything please feel free to drop a message here. Thanks!!

dntesinfrno
Old
(Last edited by dntesinfrno; 17th October 2012 at 08:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 72
I am afraid i don't remember where i saw the thread but i have seen where some dev's have managed to create methods to mount the internal flash memory through the external flash bus and also mount them as mass storage devices in windows, i'm pretty sure they were in the development sub-forum. As far as the actual recovery if you can get the internal memory mounted in such a way that data recovery software is able to see it (MTP or Mass Storage) from windows you are still looking at a crap shoot. Given the fact that people have been able to recover deleted software tells us pretty conclusively that when a file is deleted in android it is simply allocated as free, the same as a conventional hard drive. As long as all the sectors the file(s) in question occupy have not been over written then a recovery is possible (still not guaranteed).

EDIT - Here is the thread i was talking about regarding mass storage.
SGS3 i747 sporting Task650 AOKP(Jellybean 4.3) backed by KT747 kernel
If I have helped you a THANKS is appreciated but not expected, and if a problem was solved a [SOLVED] tag in your post title helps better the community
Samsung Moment>Samsung Galaxy S Captivate>Samsung Galaxy SII i777>Samsung Galaxy SIII i747

milleralexis768
Old
(Last edited by milleralexis768; 7th April 2014 at 08:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
You can recover deleted videos from non rooted S3 with android data recovery software, see this solution: non rooted android phone data recovery

It helped me before. hope this helps you too.