Some (not-so-)dumb questions

OP ToastnButter

1st April 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rybnik/Kraków
Thanks Meter: 90

191 posts
So listen you cherry pies, I'm a flashoholic, just got my Moto G a few days ago, thought I'll never have to root but am already thinking about reflashing this mother****er.

For now, as CM11 seems to be miserably unstable, I'm leaning towards going GPE on my Tesco UK Moto G.
But, I like some of the motorola services: one so in particular - the remote wipe/lock/etc. in case of phone being stolen.

So the questions are:
  1. If I flash the GPE rom to my non-gpe Moto G, will I be able to receive OTA updates?
  2. Let's say I've flashed CM11. Now I want to go back to stock firmware. If I do so, will I be able to use Motorola apps such as Assist, and more importantly, use the remote wipe/lock feature?
  3. Is it possible to re-lock bootloader, like restoring the whole device's software to its OOB state?
Thanks!

Oh and just to clarify:
can I use this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2542219 guide to flash KOT49H (GPE) firmware on my Tesco UK Moto G?
Last edited by ToastnButter; 1st April 2014 at 05:02 PM.
1st April 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rybnik/Kraków

191 posts
Please, anyone?
2nd April 2014, 05:23 AM   |  #3  
Flag Vapi
Thanks Meter: 38

104 posts
More
1. If you flash gpe rom, your system files would be modified. You will further not receive any updates from Motorola moto G but will be eligible for updates from Google GPE.
2.Definitely yes, flashing a rom modifies only software not hardware so as soon as you will be back to stock moto OS, the moto apps will start supporting your device and most probably your rom.
3. You may be able to relock your boot loader but your warranty will be void. Whenever anyone unlock its boot loader it communicates with moto site to get unlock key and at very time loses its warranty.

You can try that method but maintain all precautions and do have a backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to forgotter For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rybnik/Kraków

191 posts
Thank you so much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread