Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 52,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downgrade (Strawmetal Guide) - I'm stuck - pls help

Tip us?

veiwoo
Old
(Last edited by veiwoo; 16th March 2014 at 07:11 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Downgrade (Strawmetal Guide) - I'm stuck - pls help

Hy,

today I tried rooting my HTC Desire Z. Until today I didn't modify anything, it was like shipped three years ago when I bought it (no root, S-ON, but officially updated to stock Gingerbread).

So why I decided to root? I had a problem after updating all apps at once: the update process got stuck, I had to pull the battery. After turning it back on, it resulted in bootloop - no good. Tried a lot of things - nothing worked. Finnally I had to do a hard reset. Worked, but all data was lost.
So I decided to now root the phone in order to have the possibility to backup everything with nandroid - to be prepared for the next time

OK, so I searched the net found a lot of infos and the wonderful downgrading guide by strawmetal as described on this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1178912

I followed all the steps, download all the files. Everything worked fine like described in the guide (I skipped the backup thing, as it is optional and I had nothing to backup). The problem occured in the last step: downgrading (page 10). I chosed method B: "fastboot downgrade". but finally I got stuck when flashing the StockRom.zip: everything seemed to work, but the process stopped with the line: " INFO[RUU]WP,radio,95 " (output of my cmd-window here: http://pastebin.com/7n11dXJx). My HTC Screen showed a grey HTC Logo and green process bar which was about 95% I guess.

I waited about an hour or so, nothing happend. I had to interrupt the command-window by "ctrl+c", pulled the lead and finally had to pull the battery too as the power button did not work either.

Tried to switch it on afterwards - but nothing, really nothing happens. Screen stays black, no LEDs, no vibrations, no bootscreen. Argh!

Did I kill it? Is there anything I can do? What did I do wrong? I don't get it...

I'm using Windows Pro 64bit and used the StockRom linked in the thread above (see post from 1st March 2014): http://cmw.cmfs.me/vision/stock/1.34.707.3/PC10IMG.zip. It was upped again after the original links did not work anymore. It says it is for Desire Z, but now I see it's another version (and has other checksum too): it's 1.34.707.3 instead of 1.34.405.5 which is linked in strawmetals guide. Maybe this is the problem? Unfortunately I can not post to developement section as I'm new to XDA...

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

linoskoczek
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Maybe a stupid question, but is your battery charged?

And after you insert USB into computer and phone, does your computer detects a device? For me device manager shows: http://i.imgur.com/7HDDPzo.png

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
Unfortunately it is very possible that your phone is bricked. When flashing firmware, particularly the bootloader or radio, you need to be sure they successfully and completely flash or your phone will not boot. This is why the warnings are there as there is risk, the fastboot method is the safest but a battery pull is a sure way to never have your phone wake again, that is if there was an error or any form of incomplete flash you cannot do a battery pull
So I'm sorry to say that if your phone shows no sign of life you likely will not be able to resurrect it without JTAG

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

veiwoo
Old
(Last edited by veiwoo; 3rd April 2014 at 12:13 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation G2 / Desire Z bricked - wrong ROM !?!?!?

Thanks a lot for your answers and sorry for answering so late. OK, I bricked it - that's for sure.

As everything worked fine until the flashing process stopped I suppose that it was kind of a conflict with the ROM I used. In the original thread it says: "use 1.34.405.5_PC10IMG.zip". The Version which was provided by a user after the original link died was "1.34.707.3_PC10IMG.zip" (MD5 is different!). Maybe this is the issue? I cannot post to developer section until now - so if you think this could have caused the bricking issue, please warn users in the original thread and help saving some G2/Desire Z from bricking. Thanks!

I will buy a new phone now. But this time no HTC !!!

KÚno40
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by veiwoo View Post
Thanks a lot for your answers and sorry for answering so late. OK, I bricked it - that's for sure.

As everything worked fine until the flashing process stopped I suppose that it was kind of a conflict with the ROM I used. In the original thread it says: "use 1.34.405.5_PC10IMG.zip". The Version which was provided by a user after the original link died was "1.34.707.3_PC10IMG.zip" (MD5 is different!). Maybe this is the issue? I cannot post to developer section until now - so if you think this could have caused the bricking issue, please warn users in the original thread and help saving some G2/Desire Z from bricking. Thanks!

I will buy a new phone now. But this time no HTC !!!

It should work with both 1.34 ROMs.
But maybe, it was a step before that which make it fail...

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2599
It wasn't so much the stock ROM that bricked the device it was the battery pull of an incomplete radio flash. Bootloader needs to run a radio check in order to boot, no radio - no boot.
If something like this happens to you in the future just run the fastboot commands again, do not reboot, there are many reasons it can get stuck but no damage will occur until reboot
The good news is desire z has become cheap, you can buy an old broken one of eBay for probably less than $40 and just swap logic boards
Either way, best of luck in the future!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

veiwoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your answers. I think I won't have any HTC devices because the original problem (updating caused bootloop) is not acceptable for me. Had to do a hard reset to get this solved and had a lot of problems after this issue. Anyway:

thanks and closed!