Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

Tip us?

pettigrew95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default Anyone get the M8 using Edge program?

I picked mine up on March 25th and since I'm not due for an upgrade until this September I decided to purchase via the edge program. I'm still on the fence about the edge program and supposedly I have 6 more days to return the phone and cancel the edge upgrade. Anyone else get their M8 using Edge and if so what are your feelings about it? Also if anyone's been using Edge for a while now your input is appreciated too. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One M8 32 GB
64 GB Class 10 Sandisk MicroSD
Rooted and S-Off

Old Phones: Galaxy S3 | Galaxy S2 | HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE | Samsung Fascinate | HTC Sensation | LG G2x | HTC MyTouch 3G Slide | HTC MyTouch 3G | HTC G1

whirl08
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I've been using it since the m7 came out, no qualms with it. Raises your bill a bit. Got this on edge as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Mike02z
Old
Thanks Meter 328
Got mine on Edge. Was planning to buy it but when I added the 14.99 x12 +40 something initial it works out to me about 20 more overall. For me it was worth knowing I can turn my phone in after a year as I always want the newest phone.
HTC One (M8)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3

afinita
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl08 View Post
I've been using it since the m7 came out, no qualms with it. Raises your bill a bit. Got this on edge as well.

My bill went down by 2 dollars by going with edge, so it's a win in my book. Did you get the 10 or 25(if over 10gigs) bill credit? That makes it a no brainer for me.

pettigrew95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
I had 8 GB of data they upped me to 10 and said my bill would be the same

Verizon HTC One M8 32 GB
Rooted and S-Off

Old Phones: Galaxy S3 | Galaxy S2 | HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE | Samsung Fascinate | HTC Sensation | LG G2x | HTC MyTouch 3G Slide | HTC MyTouch 3G | HTC G1

steven6282
Old
Thanks Meter 1
IMO, the edge is only good to get on if you are either getting a cheaper phone and want to stay off contract, really want to stay off contract with a more expensive phone and not have to pay the large off contract price up front, or you like to upgrade phones a lot and have the money to throw around for it.

For the M8, if they did it correctly, it would be like an extra 25 dollars a month for 2 years. It's supposed to be the off contract price broken out and financed basically over a 2 year period. You can upgrade at any time however, without renewing your contract by paying for at least half the cost off the phone and turning the phone in. Meaning for the M8, you'd have to pay at least 300 dollars totaly (either by 25 dollars a month or whatever the difference is between 300 and what you've paid so far when you want to upgrade).

Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. But then again, I still have unlimited data If I was forced to give up my unlimited data for some reason, I might would consider the edge, but most likely I'd just buy an off contract more reasonable cost phone like a nexus line phone or something. The amount price of off contract phones is mostly ridiculous and way higher than they should be. These things could be sold for 300 - 350 dollars and the companies would still probably be making a profit, you can look at the Nexus 5 to tell that.

whskytango
Old
Thanks Meter 35
It really isn't a bad deal, you get a credit for $25 if on a 10gb or more plan, so your bill actually goes down just a little and you don't get locked in, I feel the edge program is a win win really

mchief298
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by whskytango View Post
It really isn't a bad deal, you get a credit for $25 if on a 10gb or more plan, so your bill actually goes down just a little and you don't get locked in, I feel the edge program is a win win really

If you want out you have to pay off the phone and the etf... So, yeah... You're locked in.

M8, nuff said.
My philosophy is that if your "contribution" to the community has a giant DONATE button in the center of the page? It isn't worth the download.

Devices - Verizon
  • Galaxy S3 (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy S4 MDK (Rooted, Unlocked) - Traded Up
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Traded for M7
  • HTC M7 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Sold
  • Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted, Safestrap) - Sold
  • Galaxy S3 (Unrooted, Stock) - Edged Up
  • HTC M8 (S-Off'd, Rooted, Unlocked) - Current Device

whskytango
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Well I guess I mean locked down for upgrades, (where I live Verizon is the only carrier that gets great service so in my eyes I will always be with them) but it's nice to be able to upgrade when you want

The Following User Says Thank You to whskytango For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pettigrew95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
How does it lock you in? My contract still expires this September.

Verizon HTC One M8 32 GB
Rooted and S-Off