Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlocked bootloaders, DRM keys, and warranties

Tip us?

kornfan71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unlocked bootloaders, DRM keys, and warranties

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering buying an HTC One M8 (Dev Edition), but I have a couple of questions.

First off, HTC's site says:
Quote:
Special note about the unlocked bootloader: With an unlocked bootloader, some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed anymore because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC.
Should I really expect issues accessing copy-protected content? I saw this thread pertaining to the M7 Dev Edition possibly having issues accessing movies purchased through Google Play.
Can anyone on here who has unlocked their M8's bootloader give a little insight on this matter?

Second, since the bootloader comes unlocked on the Dev Edition, how does the warranty work? Is it voided once I flash something? Or do they not even care about that? I couldn't really find a good answer on HTC's website.

Thanks in advance!

nugzo
Old
Thanks Meter 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfan71 View Post
Hello all,

I'm seriously considering buying an HTC One M8 (Dev Edition), but I have a couple of questions.

First off, HTC's site says:

Should I really expect issues accessing copy-protected content? I saw this thread pertaining to the M7 Dev Edition possibly having issues accessing movies purchased through Google Play.
Can anyone on here who has unlocked their M8's bootloader give a little insight on this matter?

Second, since the bootloader comes unlocked on the Dev Edition, how does the warranty work? Is it voided once I flash something? Or do they not even care about that? I couldn't really find a good answer on HTC's website.

Thanks in advance!

Really only issues ive seen was TWC Mobile TV app wouldn't work when rooted. They finally just made it that you couldnt use it with USB debugging enabled, so was an easy enough fix (a check box) when i wanted to use it. So there is the rare chance that some specialty app you may or may not use might not work in a rooted state, but it has never effected me or anyone i know. If you have some special app that you rely on, research the app first to make sure. If that scenario isnt you, dont worry about unlocking and rooting, wont be an issue.
Current Devices...
AT&T HTC One 64GB
AT&T HTC One X+
AT&T HTC One (M7) 64GB
AT&T HTC One (M8) 32GB + 64GB SD
The Following User Says Thank You to nugzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]