Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,262 Members 44,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Different screen manufacturers?

Tip us?

Tangent_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Different screen manufacturers?

I noticed a weird difference between my m8 and my wife's. When I look at my screen wearing my sunglasses (polarized Maui Jim's) it looks fine. When I look at my wife's, it's virtually invisible. Rotate them both to landscape and mine still looks fine, and hers suddenly appears like magic. This is with the phones side by side in the same conditions... For what it's worth mine is the gunmetal and hers is the silver one.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

zounduser
Old
Thanks Meter 1469

DONATE TO ME
Hmmmmmm

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
AT&T HTC ONE
VERIZON HTC ONE max
AT&T Galaxy Note 3
BLACKOUT SQUAD MEMBER
TEAM DART TESTER
VIPER ROM TESTER

brn2dream
Old
Thanks Meter 5
LoL thought it was me.. I can see my screen perfectly fine as well with Bole polarized sunglasses. didn't know what the heck others were complaining of? Maybe more to do with manufacture date? I have a artic silver one

Sent from my HTC M8

NaziHunter85
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I noticed a weird difference between my m8 and my wife's. When I look at my screen wearing my sunglasses (polarized Maui Jim's) it looks fine. When I look at my wife's, it's virtually invisible. Rotate them both to landscape and mine still looks fine, and hers suddenly appears like magic. This is with the phones side by side in the same conditions... For what it's worth mine is the gunmetal and hers is the silver one.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app
Well that's just bizarre.

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 77
if you're really interested in how polarized glasses work and the effects, you can read http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/14/polaroid.htm

The short and sweet is that polarized lenses block light from differnet angles. The glass on the phone is also likely polarized a bit, maybe not even on purpose. If the polarization in the glasses on your head is not in line with the polarization of the glass on the phone it will get darker or even appear blank. You should be able to tilt either the phone or your head and see the display come into focus. Only way not to have an issue is to switch to non-polarized glasses.