Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] extSDCard problems

Tip us?
 
metafizik
Old
(Last edited by metafizik; 3rd April 2014 at 10:09 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default [Q] extSDCard problems

I am having problems with my external SD card. It is a 32GB Sandisk card. I can create directories under /extSDCard and copy files to those directories. However if I reboot my phone all of the directories and files are gone. I went to setting/storage and select the external sdcard. The system tells me it is blank. I see in the notifications something about a blank sd card and something about unsupported files. I then tap that and it gives me the option to format it which I select. When I do that it immediately reboots and I am in the same boat as before I started. Basically I have an unusable SD Card. This card used to work but some time ago I accidentally formatted it in TWRP and sort quit using it for a while until today. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I am running AOKP if it makes any difference.
 
Bajanman
Old
#2  
Bajanman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4738
Posts: 5,437
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles Ca.

 
DONATE TO ME
Might have a bad SD card on your hands. But you didn't mention trying to format it on a PC instead of the phone. Then try transferring some stuff over to it again too see it it's ok. Just use the pc to drop a few files on it b4 placing it back in the phone...
If no quirky then possible dead sd. What size? Anything under 64 very inexpensive to replace on Amazon.com
Just my 2¢®™

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.


Rom I'm using with zero issues...
[4.4.2]DN3 V5(Ditto Note 3)

 
metafizik
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman View Post
Might have a bad SD card on your hands. But you didn't mention trying to format it on a PC instead of the phone. Then try transferring some stuff over to it again too see it it's ok. Just use the pc to drop a few files on it b4 placing it back in the phone...
If no quirky then possible dead sd. What size? Anything under 64 very inexpensive to replace on Amazon.com
Just my 2¢®™

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Thanks you Bajanman I will try to format it with a PC. I can't imagine that the thing shouldn't still work. At one time I had 20GB of music, movies, etc copied to it before I mistakenly formatted it while in TWRP.

~metafizik
 
Bajanman
Old
#4  
Bajanman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4738
Posts: 5,437
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles Ca.

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by metafizik View Post
Thanks you Bajanman I will try to format it with a PC. I can't imagine that the thing shouldn't still work. At one time I had 20GB of music, movies, etc copied to it before I mistakenly formatted it while in TWRP.

~metafizik
Ok Lmk if it works out for you...[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.


Rom I'm using with zero issues...
[4.4.2]DN3 V5(Ditto Note 3)

 
metafizik
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman View Post
Ok Lmk if it works out for you...[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I think the card is damaged. I formatted it on a PC and put it back in my phone and still see the same behavior. I then put it in another phone and although the format went as one would expect that phone reports the card as damaged.
 
tube517
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 366
Join Date: Jun 2010
Sandisk cards have issues with the Note 2. My Sandisk card went crazy after being in my Note 2. I just bought a Samsung card and haven't had issues at all.
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7.0
ROM • The Deleterious ROM 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 2 (i317)
ROM • EzKat (4.4.2) Touchwiz KitKat

Samsung Galaxy S3 (i747) Wife's phone on Tmobile
ROM • DanKang Slim 4.3.1

TOSHIBA THRIVE• US 10.1"
ROM • Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE (i717) Unlocked to T-Mobile
ROM • CM 11 (p12) 4.4.2 KitKat

Azpen 701 (7" tablet)
ROM • Stock Unrooted JB 4.1.2
 
metafizik
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
Sandisk cards have issues with the Note 2. My Sandisk card went crazy after being in my Note 2. I just bought a Samsung card and haven't had issues at all.
Yes I just found out the card does work. It was actually a 64GB card. I put it in my tablet and it worked fine so I took the exact same model of Sandisk card that was in the tablet and put it in the Note 2 and I see the exact same behavior as the other card(blank sd and reboots if I try to format).

The card worked before I installed AOKP on the phone. I wonder if it is AOKP or the Note 2? This weekend I guess I will restore the backup I took before I installed AOKP to find out.
 
tube517
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 366
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metafizik View Post
Yes I just found out the card does work. It was actually a 64GB card. I put it in my tablet and it worked fine so I took the exact same model of Sandisk card that was in the tablet and put it in the Note 2 and I see the exact same behavior as the other card(blank sd and reboots if I try to format).

The card worked before I installed AOKP on the phone. I wonder if it is AOKP or the Note 2? This weekend I guess I will restore the backup I took before I installed AOKP to find out.
Good luck!

I just put that Sandisk card that freaked out in my Note 2, in my Note 1 and it works fine. I think it's the Note 2. If you google the issue, you'll see a whole bunch of forum posts here and other forums talking about it.
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7.0
ROM • The Deleterious ROM 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 2 (i317)
ROM • EzKat (4.4.2) Touchwiz KitKat

Samsung Galaxy S3 (i747) Wife's phone on Tmobile
ROM • DanKang Slim 4.3.1

TOSHIBA THRIVE• US 10.1"
ROM • Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE (i717) Unlocked to T-Mobile
ROM • CM 11 (p12) 4.4.2 KitKat

Azpen 701 (7" tablet)
ROM • Stock Unrooted JB 4.1.2
 
metafizik
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
Good luck!

I just put that Sandisk card that freaked out in my Note 2, in my Note 1 and it works fine. I think it's the Note 2. If you google the issue, you'll see a whole bunch of forum posts here and other forums talking about it.
I took your advice and ordered a Samsung card. I really don't want to restore back to stock and get the KNOX update so I will stick with AOKP. I agree I don't think AOKP is the problem.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more