Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,530 Members 42,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ART vs Dalvik runtime

Tip us?

gtofan350
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] ART vs Dalvik runtime

Anyone enabled ART on their M8?

ryanjsoo
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Since speed was never really a problem with this phone, ART has little to no benefit, it takes up about a gig or so and has poor compatibility with many apps. From my testing, around a quarter of my apps fc, blinkfeed was maybe a tad smoother, the rest of the system was already butter smooth, so far, not worth the trouble, not to mention it breaks xposed, in the future it may be worth looking into as theoretically it is better than dalkvik.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanjsoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pyrres
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Art enabled from the get go. No problems for me. Have used it on my last Sgs4 and Nexus5 with only good effects.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Onem8
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Running and it works great. Not any problem but the speed is the same i think. Not any difference.

gtofan350
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
So doesn't sound line much of a reason to switch to it yet. I was just curious since I've haven't had a device that could run ART. My N7 2012 can't run ART.

Chartist
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I had one or two forced closes with no noticable change to performance. I'm going to wait till it Google make it the default.

c5satellite2
Old
Thanks Meter 759
ART is definitely smoother and snappier than dalvik. Apps load much faster because they are precompiled. Should be few issues if any. I have personally tested over 75 apps, all worked fine.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

weepatc
Old
Thanks Meter 22
ART Doesn't work nice with Rdio which is my music service. To be honest I didn't notice any great performance boost so I'm happy to wait until it comes out of beta & Google use it as default.

Devices:

Current: HTC Titan
HTC HD7
HTC HD2
Sony Ericsson X1i

cc999
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Question Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjsoo View Post
Since speed was never really a problem with this phone, ART has little to no benefit, it takes up about a gig or so and has poor compatibility with many apps. From my testing, around a quarter of my apps fc, blinkfeed was maybe a tad smoother, the rest of the system was already butter smooth, so far, not worth the trouble, not to mention it breaks xposed, in the future it may be worth looking into as theoretically it is better than dalkvik.
Can you go back and forth between Art and Dalvik with no issues?

CC

AndroidInsanity
Old
Thanks Meter 272

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5satellite2 View Post
ART is definitely smoother and snappier than dalvik. Apps load much faster because they are precompiled. Should be few issues if any. I have personally tested over 75 apps, all worked fine.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
That's news to me. When I had a nexus on ART Facebook took much longer to load. Strange.

Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out