Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,241 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Previously Rooted t999 Now Can't Update OTA

Tip us?

johnathanamber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Talking Previously Rooted t999 Now Can't Update OTA

Hey everyone,

I previously had the UVUEMJC stock ROM from tmo. This was an OTA upgrade from 4.1.2. If I would have known about the new KNOX counter when I upgraded, I probably would not have. Now this counter is showing a '1' which voids my warranty (Check this XDA thread). Oh well, no fix thus far so I can't worry about that.

Anyway, I've recently flashed with the sammobile latest 4.3 ROM. When I attempt to check for a software update, it takes forever and finally tells me that my system was modified and I can't update. Checking the Device Status under settings, it shows it as 'Custom'. So, is there a reliable ROM that I can get that would fix the OTA upgrade procedure? Am I just screwed, for lack of a better term, and stuck with flashing to upgrade?

Currently looking at the deodexed ROM from Doc (Link to thread) to reflash my device so I can at least work on other things without KNOX being in the way.

Anyone have any suggestions if I should go for this ROM or another? Can I even restore this ability to update OTA?

Lastly, as long as I am sticking with a 'stock-revised' ROM, will I retain all my apps, settings, and user data?

Thanks guys,
Johnathan

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5145

DONATE TO ME
You can only update via ota if you are 100% full stock. If you must have this back, you have to flash the official firmware via Odin.
Check out saranhi's StockMod rom too. But if you just want stock, rooted, with no knox, flash the root66 firmware with odin. (With root66 you MIGHT get notified of an ota, but it will fail if you try to use it)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

johnathanamber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
You can only update via ota if you are 100% full stock. If you must have this back, you have to flash the official firmware via Odin.
Check out saranhi's StockMod rom too. But if you just want stock, rooted, with no knox, flash the root66 firmware with odin. (With root66 you MIGHT get notified of an ota, but it will fail if you try to use it)

Thanks Doc!

I attempted to unroot my phone via downloading the SAMMOBILE 4.3 ROM and flashing it via Odin, and that didn't work. Do I need to do something else other than flashing the ROM?

BTW, thanks for your work, etc. on this forum. Is there a deoxed ROM for the t999? If I can't get back to original, might as well get this thing as slim as possible, etc. Lastly, if I use another ROM other then a stock one, will I need to save data, reinstall apps, etc?

Thanks,
Johnathan

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5145

DONATE TO ME
First, go to my firmware thread. Stickied in development and linked in my sig. You can get all firmware there and the download should be much faster.
Im not sure why odin didnt work, what firmware build are you on now, and what did you try to flash?
You can find the deodexed stock roms in development section. They're there, you just may have to dig back a few pages.
Check out saranhi's StockMod and enewmans S3RX if you want a modded stock. If you go to a cm/aosp based rom, you will have to wipe data. Not always needed when just updating, but it is recommended for best stability.

johnathanamber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
First, go to my firmware thread. Stickied in development and linked in my sig. You can get all firmware there and the download should be much faster.
Im not sure why odin didnt work, what firmware build are you on now, and what did you try to flash?
You can find the deodexed stock roms in development section. They're there, you just may have to dig back a few pages.
Check out saranhi's StockMod and enewmans S3RX if you want a modded stock. If you go to a cm/aosp based rom, you will have to wipe data. Not always needed when just updating, but it is recommended for best stability.

Thanks Doc!

I'm downloading the root66 latest and the stock ROM as well (both from here).

Build number: jss15j.t999uvuenc2

I flashed the latest ROM from SAMMOBILE with Odin 3.09.

Thanks again,
Johnathan
Tags
flash, rom, stock, t999