Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 47,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Custom SMS/Messaging Themes

Tip us?

UberSlackr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] Custom SMS/Messaging Themes

How would I go about making/adding my own themes (color styles) for the HTC Messaging app? Preferably without root...

The ones that HTC has providing are crappy, and 90% for females.
Plus its kinda stupid that only the incoming messages are placed inside a "box/bubble." If you set a custom background then the senders (mine) messages are hard to read no matter the color you choose from the given options.
HTC One m8 (In Use)
LG G2
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Chromecast
Quote:
I called Google Device Support the other day, and asked about the possibility of Modem/Radio within the Nexus 7 3G.. and The CSR answer was "No you can not plug a Phone Cord or Ethernet cable into the device, and if you want to listen to the radio you must download a 3rd Party App or Try our Google Music service, but it's not a radio" - Couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably for 10min straight. ~UberSlackr
The Following User Says Thank You to UberSlackr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mmmajor
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSlackr View Post
How would I go about making/adding my own themes (color styles) for the HTC Messaging app? Preferably without root...

The ones that HTC has providing are crappy, and 90% for females.
Plus its kinda stupid that only the incoming messages are placed inside a "box/bubble." If you set a custom background then the senders (mine) messages are hard to read no matter the color you choose from the given options.
Would like to know also..

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Mr Hofs
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 8134

DONATE TO ME
Think it cant be done without root, as it's a system app and to access the system you need root permission.

To edit the messaging app you need to decompile it and edit the png files and colors in xml files. Not sure if it affects the whole messaging app because it could be that the app uses resources from other framework apk files !

I haven't checked out sense 6 yet so deeply so cant say for sure !