Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,021 Members 46,343 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Get rid of these on screen buttons?

Tip us?

PhilPan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
Default Get rid of these on screen buttons?

I hope someone out there figures out how to get rid of these on screen buttons, what a waste of space.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nugzo
Old
Thanks Meter 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilPan View Post
I hope someone out there figures out how to get rid of these on screen buttons, what a waste of space.

if they remove the buttons how will you operate it? It does not have capacitive buttons like the previous one, they were removed.
Current Devices...
AT&T HTC One 64GB
AT&T HTC One X+
AT&T HTC One (M7) 64GB
AT&T HTC One (M8) 32GB + 64GB SD

PhilPan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugzo View Post
if they remove the buttons how will you operate it? It does not have capacitive buttons like the previous one, they were removed.
LMT. Usually one of the first apps I install, once we get root.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilPan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stu5797
Old
Thanks Meter 193
I just couldn't buy this phone after seeing all that wasted screen space I am so sad
OnePlus One = Good

meest
Old
Thanks Meter 17
wow I"m suprised by the hate for the soft keys. They were the big reason I upgraded from the M7.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stu5797
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by meest View Post
wow I"m suprised by the hate for the soft keys. They were the big reason I upgraded from the M7.
It's not a hate for soft keys. It's a complete hate on HTC for basically putting a huge space for capacitive buttons but saying F you and just leaving empty valuable screen space
OnePlus One = Good
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stu5797 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nugzo
Old
Thanks Meter 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
It's not a hate for soft keys. It's a complete hate on HTC for basically putting a huge space for capacitive buttons but saying F you and just leaving empty valuable screen space
the thing you are missing here is... that area is not wasted screen space. it was never screen space, it isnt the screen down there. Yes it is black and looks like the screen but the screen ends right below the on screen buttons, above the HTC logo. If they painted it silver would that make you happy? You've posted 20 times about how mad you are and that this phone is a disaster etc... Why? it is by no means a disaster and your mis understanding of the display is causing you grief. Just buy the phone and enjoy it. There is no wasted screen space, that isnt a screen down there, its just a black bezel.
Current Devices...
AT&T HTC One 64GB
AT&T HTC One X+
AT&T HTC One (M7) 64GB
AT&T HTC One (M8) 32GB + 64GB SD
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nugzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matt95
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2331

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilPan View Post

You can't completely remove them, the reasons are obvious but you could hide them while you're not using them... This will probably be implemented in some ROMs

Donate and support my studies at the MIT University! Unruu HTC RUUs | Setup Android Development Environment on Ubuntu | Decrypt HTC RUUs

stu5797
Old
(Last edited by stu5797; 26th March 2014 at 10:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 193
Nugzo, that's nice of you to try and stick up for HTC. How come on the beautiful HTC one there is not bezel on the bottom? The truth is you don't know why so don't try and defend. I own many phones and enjoy them. Please don't let my opinion make you come up with fake explanations. Relax and enjoy your phone
FYI... IT IS completely wasted valuable screen real estate
OnePlus One = Good
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stu5797 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hlxanthus
Old
Thanks Meter 611
There are very simply edits to framework-res that can change the navbar height. Stock height is 48dpi. 42 dpi on most devices is about as short as you want to go and have them still function. Set it to zero to remove it for that matter. Just make sure you have some other way to control your device. I know there are apps to give you that control.

Of course this will require root at the very least.

Sent from my Galaxy S4