Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,628 Members 41,226 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

One M8 keeps rebooting after 15-20sec

Tip us?

orphe0
Old
(Last edited by orphe0; 26th June 2014 at 10:14 AM.) Reason: solution
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default One M8 keeps rebooting after 15-20sec

Hey guys,

Iīm quite new in this area. I rooted my phone a couple of days ago, and today an update for HTC something came up. I updated right away, muscle reflex, and not thinking about that it was rooted. Right after the update was finished downloading and installing, it required a reboot to finalize the installation. Rebooted, and started to use the phone again. After about 15-20 seconds (I can do whatever I want in this time), it starts to reboot again and again and again. No idea idea why, but I guess it could be the update that is trying to finish.

I guess I can do a factory reset to remove the update, but is there anything else I can do?

edit: Since so many people are experiencing the same problem, I'll post the solution here and AnDruid's reply which explains the process.

"I solved it by clicking the Supersu app, which then asked me what kind of recovery i used. I didnīt have time to read through it all, so don't know what it specifically said, but I chose TWRP and it had to reboot and start installing some kind of script (God I feel like a noob saying some kind).

Booted up again, no restarts."

AnDruid - "The SuperSu app asked about recovery and the option to chose was TWRP/CWM (I am on TWRP). SuperSu itself seemed to reboot the phone and invoked the "OpenrRcoveryScript" installs the "update.zip" (which I am not sure but could be the HTC Update file? Or it could be something related to supersu itself)."
The Following User Says Thank You to orphe0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lazydesi
Old
Thanks Meter 28
This thing happened to my Moto G couple of months back,
the rebooting is happening mainly due to root. before taking OTA you need to remove the root completely.
try to delete the super su or chainfire in that 20 sec interval.

Jyotirdeb
Old
Thanks Meter 246
I don't think deleting Supersu will stop ota.You can choose survive mode in supersu which will allow you to take ota and you will have root access.As long as you don't change/modify system you will be able to take ota.
Don't say thanks hit thanks if I have helped.

Current Device:

S-OFF-Yes
Recovery:TWRP
Kernel:ElementalX
Rom:Android Revolution HD by Mike!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jyotirdeb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Black Antitoon
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I don't think he got an OTA, a software update was released recently that is installed directly within Android, but still requires s reboot.

No idea about the question though...
Current phone: HTC One (M8)

Previous phones:
HTC HD2 (Dec 2010 - Apr 2014; thank you Leo!)
HTC Touch HD (Dec 2008 - Dec 2010)
HTC Touch Cruise (May 2008 - Sep 2008 [stolen])
Previously: Nokia 6630, Nokia 3510

orphe0
Old
(Last edited by orphe0; 22nd June 2014 at 10:08 AM.) Reason: words
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Cheers for the answers guys.

I solved it by clicking the Supersu app, which then asked me what kind of recovery i used. I didnīt have time to read through it all, so no what it specifically said, but I chose TWRP and it had to reboot and start installing some kind of script (God I feel like a noob saying some kind).

Booted up again, no restarts.

Thanks again!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to orphe0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AnDruid
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by orphe0 View Post

I solved it by clicking the Supersu app, which then asked me what kind of recovery i used. I didnīt have time to read through it all, so no what it specifically said, but I chose TWRP and it had to reboot and start installing some kind of script (God I feel like a noob saying some kind).

Thanks again!
I was in the same boat as you, phone out of order for the whole morning today. I followed the same steps as you and phone is stable after the reboot (Thanks!).

In case someone wants to dig deeper, the SuperSu app asked about recovery and the option to chose was TWRP/CWM (I am on TWRP). SuperSu itself seemed to reboot the phone and invoked the "OpenrRcoveryScript" installs the "update.zip" (which I am not sure but could be the HTC Update file? Or it could be something related to supersu itself).
HTC One M8 Dev Ed.
Previous Devices: Nexus 4 | Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | Galaxy Tab2 GT-P3100 | HTC Magic EBI1 32A NR
The Following User Says Thank You to AnDruid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orphe0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnDruid View Post
I was in the same boat as you, phone out of order for the whole morning today. I followed the same steps as you and phone is stable after the reboot (Thanks!).

In case someone wants to dig deeper, the SuperSu app asked about recovery and the option to chose was TWRP/CWM (I am on TWRP). SuperSu itself seemed to reboot the phone and invoked the "OpenrRcoveryScript" installs the "update.zip" (which I am not sure but could be the HTC Update file? Or it could be something related to supersu itself).
Yeah that's exactly it! Glad I could help with my vaguely described solution Could someone briefly describe what the update.zip file updates?

Film Doctor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Thanks again!
You're a life saver! Here I was thinking I messed it all up, and would need to do a factory reset

oatring
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Thanks again!
This worked for me! Was just about to do a full restore, so this saved me a bunch of time

Jotamide
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:

Thanks again!
Thank you so much for sharing this. Made my day!