Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Reverting Verizon HTC M8 to stock for phone return - Help needed

OP RageEho

1st June 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Desperate need of help.

I am trying to revert to stock so I can return the phone to Verizon.
I used WeakSauce to gain S-off
I have SuperSU installed

I went from stock to a "tether unlocked stock" version, then later I wanted to try CyogenMod before returning the phone. All went smoothly.

Now I want to revert back to Stock Verizon HTC Sense 6.0 - I found a ROM and flashed it with CWM
It looks good except every time it restarts or powers on I get a message in red at the bottom "This build is for development purposes only..." etc. (plus it's still unlocked with S-Off).

Obviously not wanting THIS I tried to revert to stock with an RUU obtained at androidmods dot com. (i'd post a link but I am prevented)

I couldn't find a pure stock ROM on XDA other than the one I flashed that gives me that red writing error

Anyway, I got to the bootloader and ran the code

Fastboot oem rebootRUU

When I went to flash the rom:

fastboot flash zip RUU_File_Name.zip

I got the below error

target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes
load_file: could not allocate 1610682630 bytes
error: cannot load '0P6BIMG.zip': Not enough space

(There is PLENTY of space btw)

Now I read that I can try with an SD card.
I've obtained an SD card from my old phone.
I know it has to be in FAT32 but I don't know how to format it. I don't have an SD reader on my PC and frankly time is running out. I need to return this phone in a day.

Can anyone help?

I'd really like to get this phone back to stock and then RELOCK and S-ON the phone before turning it in.
I don't know what kind of tests they are going to run when I go to return it and don't want to get caught here.

Also, before anyone asks, I did not back up my phone on day 1 like I should have. I did not have a complete understanding of how all of this worked and thought at ANY time I could "Reset to Factory Default" and I would magically go back to stock...

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by RageEho; 1st June 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: corrected a word
2nd June 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 435

1,792 posts
I will just say this... S-ON is the LAST step, not the first or second-last.

Even then reboot a few times to verify you don't get a Tampered text on bootloader

See my return to stock for Canadian M8 thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2710735 (see section Return to Warranty-able State (No guarentees)

Please use VERIZON STOCK recovery, instead of the rogers one from that section. but rest of steps should be same if you are on STOCK VERIZON OS.

3. Verify all is WORKING OK, then flash stock recovery, USE VERIZON RECOVERY

Rogers Recovery: STOCK RECOVERY 1.12.631.17 [Link]

4. Remove *Tempered* text from bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708565

5. Lock your bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708571

6. Unroot from SuperSU app.

7. S-On if you must, highly NOT suggested. command: fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

8. Reboot/factory reset a FEW TIMES to verify **Tampered** text doesn't come back in the bootloader menu. If it does, sorry no fix yet.
2nd June 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Solved
Thanks for the reply SaHiLzZ

I was in panic mode when I posted.
I took a break, walked the dog and had some time to clear my head, take a step back and start over with my research.

I'm replying to my own thread to see if I can help others who may come across this in the future.

Basically there were already instructions for going back to stock complied in one neat and tidy location.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2745257

Many thank you's to RBThompsonV, dottat, santod040 and scotty1223

The only issue I had was Flashing the RUU. It seems it can't be done via USB cable and requires an SD card.
The other real issue was formatting said SD Card to FAT32
I had to find someone with a micro SD card reader so I could format the card via my laptop.

Once that was complete things went pretty smoothly, until the last step. Didn't seem to do anything for me. So in order to re-lock my bootloader I followed the directions here which worked nicely

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708571
Last edited by RageEho; 2nd June 2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correct links
18th November 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

114 posts
(delete)
Last edited by TraderJack; 18th November 2014 at 01:31 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread