Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,628 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to I use twrp to flash a new rom (adb sideload not working)

Tip us?

abreu6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to I use twrp to flash a new rom (adb sideload not working)

I bricked my HTC One, totally not my fault I received a prompt to upgrade and then the thing crashed. Its stuck on the htc screen.
I tried finding a RUU file for my phone, couldnt get one that matched. Now I have installed TWRP, which works. My Bootloader is unblocked and says tampered also s-on. there is no os in the phone now so its ready for flashing a new rom.

I want to get my phone back in order. I've downloaded a custom rom I could use, wanted to ask if this is the same as using a ota file from the htcdev website ?

When I try to use twrp i cant use sideboot to push the roms, it just says trying to connect and doesnt, so I think adb doesnt work.

Can someone put me in the right direction or help out ?

I'm a complete newbie and have come far by unlocking the bootloader and installing twrp, would really appreciate it if someone can help.

Also tried using the option to find the file on my computer from twrp on my phone but it doesnt connect.

Everything is all set up I just need to flash a new rom and get going.

Thanks !

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 884

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by abreu6 View Post
I bricked my HTC One, totally not my fault I received a prompt to upgrade and then the thing crashed. Its stuck on the htc screen.
I tried finding a RUU file for my phone, couldnt get one that matched. Now I have installed TWRP, which works. My Bootloader is unblocked and says tampered also s-on. there is no os in the phone now so its ready for flashing a new rom.

I want to get my phone back in order. I've downloaded a custom rom I could use, wanted to ask if this is the same as using a ota file from the htcdev website ?

When I try to use twrp i cant use sideboot to push the roms, it just says trying to connect and doesnt, so I think adb doesnt work.

Can someone put me in the right direction or help out ?

I'm a complete newbie and have come far by unlocking the bootloader and installing twrp, would really appreciate it if someone can help.

Also tried using the option to find the file on my computer from twrp on my phone but it doesnt connect.

Everything is all set up I just need to flash a new rom and get going.

Thanks !

The rest of the steps after you have unlocked bootloader

flash custom recovery TWRP 2.6.3.3 from here
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

rename your rom to rom.zip
then in TWRP / Advanced /Sideload - Slide to sideload

Then from PC - adb / fastboot folder ...shift+right click /command prompt here
then it's
adb sideload rom.zip

at the end of sideload install will begin

just be sure the files you flash and sideload are all in the same folder as fastboot and adb
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

abreu6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
The rest of the steps after you have unlocked bootloader

flash custom recovery TWRP 2.6.3.3 from here
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

rename your rom to rom.zip
then in TWRP / Advanced /Sideload - Slide to sideload

Then from PC - adb / fastboot folder ...shift+right click /command prompt here
then it's
adb sideload rom.zip

at the end of sideload install will begin

just be sure the files you flash and sideload are all in the same folder as fastboot and adb
in cmd prompt says 'device not found' when using adb and on twrp on the device says starting adb sideload and does nothing, also shall i use the ota file on the htcdev website ? is that better than the cutsom roms i've downloaded, - do i need s-off ?

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10982

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by abreu6 View Post
in cmd prompt says 'device not found' when using adb and on twrp on the device says starting adb sideload and does nothing, also shall i use the ota file on the htcdev website ? is that better than the cutsom roms i've downloaded, - do i need s-off ?

Please stop right here and spend a few hours doing research before you brick your device for good.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

shukyuen
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I have same thing happened before, adb not working, I don't know why, try use a USB OTG, put the rom zip on it, then connected to your phone, flash from OTG, it will be OK!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

abreu6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shukyuen View Post
I have same thing happened before, adb not working, I don't know why, try use a USB OTG, put the rom zip on it, then connected to your phone, flash from OTG, it will be OK!

I dont have a USB OTG Cable, are there any other options ?

Is there a way of getting files on to the sdcard using fastboot ? tried using adb but dont know where I'm going wrong. It connects 'starting on port...etc' then when i run push commands says 'device not connected'.

Updated all the drivers and everything still no luck. Sideloader from twrp doesnt seem to work either.

I have the rom I want to use and a ruu file which i have tried to flash, its comes back with something like ' remote failed: 24 parshing etc'

Any help would be great !

shukyuen
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Sorry, I face the same problem, l am not skilled enough to solve it, if you want flash a rom buy a USB OTG!