Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted 4.2 can't update ota?

Tip us?

silvscorp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Rooted 4.2 can't update ota?

My rooted 4.2 c5502 started showing ota for 4.3 (file size is 307.1Mb), I was hoping update via ota would retain the root. Unfortunately, after many tries, the update keep on failing.

When click on update, system will reboot and screen showing android icon with a progress bar. The progress bar will run for about 3 or 4 second and system just rebootsback to lockscreen and show a msg saying "could not install".

I assume this might be due to the dual recovery I installed? Before I try restore the recovery, anyone else able to update via ota and still got root?

Current Devices:
Sony Xperia ZR, Google Nexus 7

Previous:
HTC (Amaze 4G, Sensation 4G, Desire HD, HD2, Diamond 2, P3600), Oppo Find 5

Claim your free cloud storage @ Dropbox so we both get free storage

soorajskn
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I too rooted my phone nd tried to update the phone via OTA. But I was getting error message.

I didnt install any recovery. I just rooted my phone via vroot.

Sent from my C5502 using xda app-developers app

silvscorp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by soorajskn View Post
I too rooted my phone nd tried to update the phone via OTA. But I was getting error message.

I didnt install any recovery. I just rooted my phone via vroot.

Sent from my C5502 using xda app-developers app
Thanks for the confirmation. I know for sure you can update through PCC as I did for another phone. I too rooted using vroot. Anyone else with other rooting method pls share the result.

Current Devices:
Sony Xperia ZR, Google Nexus 7

Previous:
HTC (Amaze 4G, Sensation 4G, Desire HD, HD2, Diamond 2, P3600), Oppo Find 5

Claim your free cloud storage @ Dropbox so we both get free storage

wihushae
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I had the same problem! (Got root via bootloader unlock)

ujangns
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Mine also got problem cannot update my ZR. my ZR also root and boatloader still lock. If hard reset can solve the problem or not?

Dany MID Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Just try this

Hi, sorry for my bad english
You should try this, you can get root and the latest version (locked/unlocked bootloader)
I got my with this metod, really working and no bug (only the original bugs from Sony
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2655893

wihushae
Old
Thanks Meter 4
In another thread a possible solution for this problem was mentioned: if you have renamed or deleted some original files (like system apk's or some other protected files) the upgrade routine recognizes it and stops the upgrade process.

In my case the problems were caused by removed apps, when I restored them, everything worked flawlessly.

ujangns
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wihushae View Post
In another thread a possible solution for this problem was mentioned: if you have renamed or deleted some original files (like system apk's or some other protected files) the upgrade routine recognizes it and stops the upgrade process.

In my case the problems were caused by removed apps, when I restored them, everything worked flawlessly.
Well did hard reset and remove the root yesterday on my zr then update thru Ota still fail.