Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,594 Members 53,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IKWEAR IK8 MTK6577 Smart Phone Watch 1.54 Inch Android 4.0

Tip us?

dcrisis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default IKWEAR IK8 MTK6577 Smart Phone Watch 1.54 Inch Android 4.0

This IK8 Watch Phone looks a lot like a ZGPAX or EC-309, but the camera points across the band instead of from the front and I think it has a faster processor.

I haven't seen any other mention of it here on XDA.

Does anyone know if it is a rebrand of something else that I'm missing here?

It's fast. I've been able to use Google Hangouts on it, even with video. Zello works with no problems and even sounds good. I'm going to get a SIM for it and see how well the phone works.

Biggest drawbacks are lack of support for Google Voice and Voice Search. I've been able to workaround most of the other issues. This appears to be a common issue for this type of phone, and it's a big disappointment here. I'd love to find a way to get those messages. Has anyone solved this?

I got mine at http://www.geekbuying.com/item/IK8-D...FI-325392.html but you'll likely find a place that ships more quickly than Geekbuying.

Thanks!

DC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3734.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2676980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	2676981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2676982  
The Following User Says Thank You to dcrisis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kofy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the small review! Runkeeper or other runner's app work on it?

hlcheng
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrisis View Post
This IK8 Watch Phone looks a lot like a ZGPAX or EC-309, but the camera points across the band instead of from the front and I think it has a faster processor.

It's fast. I've been able to use Google Hangouts on it, even with video. Zello works with no problems and even sounds good. I'm going to get a SIM for it and see how well the phone works.

Biggest drawbacks are lack of support for Google Voice and Voice Search. I've been able to workaround most of the other issues. This appears to be a common issue for this type of phone, and it's a big disappointment here. I'd love to find a way to get those messages. Has anyone solved this?

I got mine at http://www.geekbuying.com/item/IK8-D...FI-325392.html but you'll likely find a place that ships more quickly than Geekbuying.

Thanks!

DC
I own a ZGPAX s5 and I see this watch on ebay as well.
For the processor they are the same :MTK6577 1GHz Dual Core
Both IK8 and s5 actually run the same system as well (android 4.0.4)
They look different just because of different default launchers.
I just root mine and use Launcher 8 instead.
The real difference should be the position of the camera.
Both camera are 2MP and 5MP interpolated.
s5 is better for selfies and Skype while IK8 is better for taking photo shots.
Both are 2G as well.
They even share the same battery!!! ZGPAX s5 got 500mAH and 700mAH and IK8 should be 700mAH
You can take a look of this
http://www.ikwear.com/wangzhanjianshe/1.html

It should be a rebrand product.
The best solution is to mix the two products' camera into one LOL
Then I can selfie and take normal shot!!!

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:

Thanks!

DC
For the Google Now, Just refer to the last two pages in [GUIDE] ZGPAX SmartWatch::1/22::Embedded more Videos/ OP
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=764
Device 1: ZGPAX s5
Device 2: Nexus 7 2013

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ZGPAX...67006566747239

sny11
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:

Thanks!

DC

Got a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. I find some interest in this smartwatch

1 How do you like this smartwatch now?

2 I noticed on a youtube video that this smartwatch seems to have a sort of hidden menu button and back button located at the bottom of display. Am I correct?

Any thing else you would like to comment on would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zwatch
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sny11 View Post
Got a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. I find some interest in this smartwatch

1 How do you like this smartwatch now?

2 I noticed on a youtube video that this smartwatch seems to have a sort of hidden menu button and back button located at the bottom of display. Am I correct?

Any thing else you would like to comment on would be appreciated.

Thanks
1. It is stand-alone watch phone, android v4.04 system, high definition touch screen, high resolution camera, you can use it smoothly and freely like a smartphone.

2. There is menu button and back button on the side of the watch, not at the bottom of display. And you can touch the screen to get what you want...

See more @ watchphonechina.com/watch-phone-china/

UntoldStories
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwatch View Post
2. There is menu button and back button on the side of the watch, not at the bottom of display. And you can touch the screen to get what you want...
I've been using the IK8 for a few days now, and I discovered that there is definitely a menu- and back-button located directly underneath the display. In fact, they often get in the way while trying to touch lower areas of the screen .

simple1i
Old
(Last edited by simple1i; 7th June 2014 at 07:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Is this $120 the same one on AliExpress?

it gives notifications when connected to a phone?

It says 700mah battery. .. many days use do you get from it?

hlcheng
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I got mine from Aliexpress It's super fast for me just two days to arrive to Hong Kong! I ordered another one earlier before from Chinavasion to Scotland and it takes me four days.

Sent from my PadFone using XDA Premium HD app
Device 1: ZGPAX s5
Device 2: Nexus 7 2013

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ZGPAX...67006566747239

UntoldStories
Old
(Last edited by UntoldStories; 11th June 2014 at 08:00 PM.) Reason: Added some new info
Thanks Meter 2
Default IK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1i View Post
Is this $120 the same one on aliexpress.com/item/IK8-Smart-Watch-Phone-154-Inch-Screen-MTK6577-Dual-Core-50MP-Front-Camera-OGS/1851182462.html ?

it gives notifications when connected to a phone?

It says 700mah battery. .. many days use do you get from it?
Looks like the same device to me. Just be cautious since this seller has only received feedback once. I'm not sure if this deal is legit, especially since the price is incredibly low. The IK8 usually sells for about $135 - $145.

Since it's a standalone Android device, you don't need any additional phone running a companion app in order to receive notifications. Just insert your SIM card (regular SIM) and you're ready to go. If you'd like to pair the IK8 to your smartphone and receive notifications over Bluetooth, maybe it is possible to install the Osmart app which is originally developed for the Omate Truesmart. I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth giving it a try. XDA user 'KOAO' already had some success using this app with his ZGPAX S5, which is not that different from the IK8;

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOAO View Post
I am successfully able to receive notifications from Emails, and texts. i haven't tried to reject a call yet. However, i used the Osmart Companion app from the omate truesmart. You download the companion app to you watch by loading the Ostore app on your watch(i might ....might link the APK file i extracted from the Truesmart OS)Then you go to the post at the bottom, join the group and then download the master app to your Andriod based smartphone. Then you pair them up and test. If successful, WIN if not then try again.

Osmart Master app:
plus.google.com/109641424466258907138/posts/8PrkrDdUsR4
The original battery supplied with the IK8 is 500mAh in contrary to what is promised on most websites/shops, it's exactly the same type of battery as used in the ZGPAX S5, but I'm not sure if they are interchangeable since the plastic 'mounting clips' look a bit different. With WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS turned off and the screen set at the lowest brightness I get about 7 - 8 hours of battery life. But I haven't been using the device a lot yet, so I think battery life will probably increase.

I ordered my IK8 from Aurabuy and received it within 1,5 week (to the Netherlands with SingPost).

Edit: I came across several 'relabeled' versions of this watch lately. They are all exactly the same, but simply indicate different brand-names. For as far as I know, the IK8 Smartwatch is originally known as the TCW-006 and is being manufactured by Tecomax Electronics. This also explains the build-number visible in Android; TECO_V2.0_20140420.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UntoldStories For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Robson
Old
(Last edited by Robson; 8th July 2014 at 10:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
haven't posted in xda for a while..let alone in the smartwatch section...but here we go. was in hong kong for a conference and decided to drop by the it shop. came across a host of smartwatches and just for fun picked up the ik8 for $90. haggled it down to $80 and figured i'd ditch it sooner or later. didn't play around with it until like 5 days later after i got back to melbourne. lo and behold, was actually quite surprised and impressed with it. my 2 cents worth:

display/interface
- not bad, quite responsive though i replaced the screen protector with a matte (anti-glare) one
- the small keyboard takes some getting used to but once you've used it you'll get around the limitations. i still make the occassional mistake but that's only when i'm using playstore

hardware
- camera is quite good though i have no plans of using it as i have my note 2
- speaker is surprisingly loud for such a small device
- one con i have is the lack of a 3.5mm jack. the built-in micro usb (for data transfer and charging) is also the plug for the earphones which comes with the watch. thus you can't really plug your own set of earphones...unless of course you use bluetooth
- quite light, watch strap is quite sturdy
- took in my 32gb microsd with no problem. pretty easy and straightforward in mounting the card
- same with the sim, but no plans on using the phone function
- don't think its "water proof" as some smart watches that claim to be (e.g. omate). but i'm not complaining.

internals
- i installed adw launcher which spiced up the homescreen (better than the default launcher). no hangs or whatever
- installed a bunch of widgets, just have to be careful as some are obviously built for larger screens. example, clokr (time widget) tends to not fit due to the length
- installed button savior to avoid using the hardware buttons. no need for root as i only need home, back and power off
- mx player works well, can actually watch a movie on it. no plans though as i have my note 2
- not planning on using this for music but poweramp works well on it. though there is sometimes a tendency for some icon labels to overlap given the small screen

gps
- i had to put a separate review on gps as i'm quite impressed with it
- installed navigon, apk had no problems loading. through wifi, the additional data and maps were installed
- also installed gps tester as well as other apps for cycling
verdict: gps signal takes around 1-2 minutes to get a good fix. the watch is able to lock on 4 satellites. accuracy is quite good but tends to be a little off when it's cloudy. the gps is not as spiffy as the one in my note but i'm not complaining. for a device this small, i was quite impressed how good the gps works
- strapped on the watch on my bike, used bikemate app. speed was quite accurate as well as keeping it locked on the satellites. didn't lose a signal as i cycled away
- had no issues with navigon. plotted home and the watch took me back to my house with no problems

haven't really tried out the full extent of the battery but without using wifi and gps, i was able to use it for 3 days before having the charge. with gps, battery went down to like 50% after riding for an hour or so. not bad in my opinion. overall, quite happy with it and i've now removed the speedo on my bike. no more wires and no more replacing batteries. this watch has now taken over the speed indicator duties for my cycling.

cheers
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Xperia Play, iPhone 4 (office phone) and the same Nokia 8850 from 1999
HTC HD2 (T-Mobile), HTC Desire
HTC Touch Pro 2
Dopod U1000
Nokia N95 (remind me never to go back to Symbian)
Mio A701
XDA2
XDA1
Ericsson - something
Motorola - something
Trium Mondo
Nokia 8850 - 1999
Nokia 8810