Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HOT Watch smartwatch [UPDATE: VIDEO! JULY 31st 2014]

Tip us?

JarlSX
Old
(Last edited by JarlSX; 12th August 2014 at 12:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default HOT Watch smartwatch [UPDATE: VIDEO! JULY 31st 2014]

i think this watch deserves it's own topic (and no, i don't have shares or any ties with them )

original kickstarter project here

now that i have had the Sony Smartwatch 2 for a month or so, i'm glad i backed this project

yes, the SW2 has apps and a color screen, so?
it's not like many of the apps are useful anyway
no microphone, no speaker, no response from Sony on reported issues/wishes
and i really don't need a smartwatch to replace my phone, tasks like browsing, reading email, news, etc and playing games are perfect on the 5 inch screen of my Butterfly S, so i don't really need a big color screen

there are 5 things i want from a watch
-long battery life, 4-5 days minimum
-thin, about 8-9mm should be the max
-a lot of choice in watch faces, being able to design them myself would be the ultimate, all of them should show time+date, extra info like weather would be nice (like min/max temp for the day)
-handle calls
-show important mail/whatsapp/twitter/facebook notifications (from people i find important)

the HOT Watch does most of them, i especially like the way it handles calls

you can pre-order the watch since a couple of weeks

pics of the 4 models (Basic, Classic, Edge and Curve):

Features (copied from kickstarter):
-Private calls amplified by the palm of your hand
-Speakerphone
-Voice activated calling and other phone control using your phone’s native voice recognition such as iPhone SIRI
-Receive and reply to Messages (SMS, Email, Facebook and Twitter)
-Music player remote control (for your phone’s native player)
-Multiple dial faces
-Automatic fast contacts sync
-Caller ID
-Audible and silent vibrating alarms and alerts
-Pedometer: Record running, walking, steps climbed, calories burned
-Fall detection with automatic text to emergency number (unless cancelled in 30 seconds)
-LED illumination
-Note capture: captures your handwriting on the watch face
-Tactile vibration feedback
-HOT Proximity Alerts: Never leave your phone behind and prevent theft
-Find your phone with remote beep
-Built-in LED Flashlight (ONLY in Curve)
-Water Resistant
-Multi-touch projected capacitive screen (Skim finger above glass to change screens)

if any info is missing/incomplete, let me know and i'll add it

update may 2nd 2014:
Essential Functionality Android Phone App SDK is available.
https://www.hotsmartwatch.com/develo...s-android-sdk/

update july 31st
finally a decent video, showing an actual production model

also, the first kickstarters should be receiving their watches

finally!

edit: and the android app is available, in the play store

update august 12th
sdk is available here
LG G3 | Sony Smartwatch 2 | Galaxy Note 10.1 | Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to JarlSX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MarkBro
Old
(Last edited by MarkBro; 12th November 2013 at 08:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Hot watch

[QUOTE=JarlSX;47355068]i think this watch deserves it's own topic (and no, i don't have shares or any ties with them )

original kickstarter project here

now that i have had the Sony Smartwatch 2 for a month or so, i'm glad i backed this project

yes, the SW2 has apps and a color screen, so?
it's not like many of the apps are useful anyway
no microphone, no speaker, no response from Sony on reported issues/wishes
and i really don't need a smartwatch to replace my phone, tasks like browsing, reading email, news, etc and playing games are perfect on the 5 inch screen of my Butterfly S, so i don't really need a big color screen

there are 5 things i want from a watch
-long battery life, 4-5 days minimum
-thin, about 8-9mm should be the max
-a lot of choice in watch faces, being able to design them myself would be the ultimate, all of them should show time+date, extra info like weather would be nice (like min/max temp for the day)
-handle calls
-show important mail/whatsapp/twitter/facebook notifications (from people i find important)

the HOT Watch does most of them, i especially like the way it handles calls

I too have backed this Kickstarter project, I think this watch will be great for formal occasions. Nice looking sleek and thin unlike Omates true smart watch ,that I backed also,but will only use for outdoorsy stuff,kayaking ,swimming ,beach,etc.
TBO it does sound like you have a vested interest in the Hot watch. I agree , great looking watch but it does not have that much more on the competition except looks. I really doubt if there will as many Apps as there is available for the Pebble, only due to the popularity of Pebble compared to Hot,first to the starting line I guess

JarlSX
Old
(Last edited by JarlSX; 11th November 2013 at 09:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
i don't care for apps, really. like i said, it doesn't need to replace my smartphone at all, i just want a watch with some additional functionality

the HOT Watch doesn't even run apps, does it? or very limited
i just hope there will be plenty watch faces to choose from or have the ability to design/add them myself

ps: would you mind removing the quoted part? don't need all those pics twice... thanks

Ryan Cordero
Old
Thanks Meter 4
A sdk is coming out. I was hoping more excitement and buzz for this watch..can't wait to get mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JarlSX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
i don't get it either, maybe once it's available in stores that people will start noticing?

i also don't understand why people prefer those clunky things on their wrists

i think it's too early for those mini-smartphone-on-your-wrist things, they need to make them (a lot) smaller/thinner first, use flexible displays, way better batteries, that kind of stuff

in the meantime, watches like the HOT Watch are ideal

IMHO ofcourse

Ryan Cordero
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I was close to getting the Omate. But I can't imagine charging twice or three times a day. Plus the private is pretty cool.. We need tasker support out the box or early on.

slim_thumb
Old
(Last edited by slim_thumb; 24th December 2013 at 04:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Default Two more e-paper watches

Two more e-paper watches from China:

(1) Sonostar - http://www.sonostar.com/Smartwatch/Specificaion

(2) Tomoon - http://www.tomoon.cn/index (No English)

Dunno what processor these two watches use.

E-paper watches should be more battery frugal because power is only used when the screen is refreshed. However, e-paper screen refresh rate is low (< 15 fps) so don't expect fluid youtube video or game playing (if these are ever possible), and there is "ghost" problem during refresh. Also the older e-ink / e-paper devices don't have night light, but the latest models eg. Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Glo have front light (e-paper is opaque and doesn't use back lighting).

vectron
Old
Thanks Meter 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cordero View Post
I was close to getting the Omate. But I can't imagine charging twice or three times a day. Plus the private is pretty cool.. We need tasker support out the box or early on.

If you are talking about Omate, the correct statement would be charging every 2-3 days, NOT 2-3 times a day. I think you mixed it up with Gear (which btw last more than 24hr on a single charge)

Regarding HOT Watch, I can tell you from experience of owning MetaWatch and Omate TS, as well as reading plenty about Pebble at the time of the release - when it comes to KS projects, their focus is to deliver hardware first with unfinished software/apps. After all the delays and final release of hardware, all users become beta testers of software, and often they rely on XDA and other developers to release custom ROMs and write their own software. I don't expect HOT to be any different, although would love to be proven wrong. Even big guys like Sammy and Sony can't get fully functionality software out of the door with hardware release. As I said, every company just wants to get to a final hardware production to start shipping the units. Then, software will follow up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

Ryan Cordero
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Two to three days sounds good but what kind of use are you doing? Screen on times ect.

I was hoping the hot will get the support level the pebble did as I like the ts a lot but not quite sold on it yet.

hoping Google will announce something this coming year.

vectron
Old
Thanks Meter 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cordero View Post
Two to three days sounds good but what kind of use are you doing? Screen on times ect.

I was hoping the hot will get the support level the pebble did as I like the ts a lot but not quite sold on it yet.

hoping Google will announce something this coming year.

Not as much use yet, with heavy use realistically it will probably be a day considering this is a real android "smartphone" on your wrist

Regarding Pebble, it only took them what, 8-9 months, million$ of investment, and being sold in Best Buy, Amazon, AT&T stores, etc.

I do agree with you, once Google will release something, it will be at a reasonable price (obviously subsidized) and will have a working native android software from get-go.
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE