Post Reply

ATT insurance question

OP jayjayjoker2

5th April 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #1  
jayjayjoker2's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 96
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
I broke my s3 screen the screen is black i know the lcd is gone. I want to do the insurance but im worried. They said i'd get a galaxy s4 if i do it. Im rooted though so would they notice or will I be ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app
6th April 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
307 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjoker2

I broke my s3 screen the screen is black i know the lcd is gone. I want to do the insurance but im worried. They said i'd get a galaxy s4 if i do it. Im rooted though so would they notice or will I be ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

it shouldnt matter broken screen as notihing to do with rooted phone they just want it back so they know its really broken i broke mine im with telus sent it back no prob
The Following User Says Thank You to ron31 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th April 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjoker2

I broke my s3 screen the screen is black i know the lcd is gone. I want to do the insurance but im worried. They said i'd get a galaxy s4 if i do it. Im rooted though so would they notice or will I be ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

Flashing a stock 4.3 restore will return your phone to original (stock) ROM and kernel, un-root, reset your flash counter and install stock recovery. Once your warranty bit is tripped, however, there is no known method of resetting this. Unfortunately, with your LCD bust, you wouldn't be able to see what you are doing. You can only hope that since they wouldn't be able to see either ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Flashing a stock 4.3 restore will return your phone to original (stock) ROM and kernel, un-root, reset your flash counter and install stock recovery. Once your warranty bit is tripped, however, there is no known method of resetting this. Unfortunately, with your LCD bust, you wouldn't be able to see what you are doing. You can only hope that since they wouldn't be able to see either ....

Looks like they are hardly consistent wit the warranty thing. I just saw a post from another guy who had exactly the same problem. Sent it to Telus and they declined claiming it was a physical damage not covered by warranty. I guess insurance works separately from the standard warranty. To be on the safe side, however, I just remembered I sometimes connect my i747 to an LED TV using a micro-USB to HDMI adapter. The adapter can be bought cheaply online and lets you use your TV or PC with HDMI as an image screen for your phone.
7th April 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #5  
vbetts's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toledo Ohio
Thanks Meter: 54
 
992 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Flashing a stock 4.3 restore will return your phone to original (stock) ROM and kernel, un-root, reset your flash counter and install stock recovery. Once your warranty bit is tripped, however, there is no known method of resetting this. Unfortunately, with your LCD bust, you wouldn't be able to see what you are doing. You can only hope that since they wouldn't be able to see either ....

You should be able to adb into your phone though to see information. There are ways of doing this.
7th April 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #6  
codemonkey98's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pensacola, FL
Thanks Meter: 60
 
316 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts

You should be able to adb into your phone though to see information. There are ways of doing this.

If I am not mistaken, you should be able to use the fastboot commands using ADB to flash things. He or she will need to have the packages he or she is needed to flash the 'fastboot' folder. He or she will also need the packages in order to do fastboot as well.
8th April 2014, 04:31 AM   |  #7  
jayjayjoker2's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 96
 
542 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Where is that one I cant find 4.3 i already did triangle away so i think ill be ok and i have the HDMI adapter. Touch screen is dead though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app
9th April 2014, 09:11 PM   |  #8  
Greycloak42's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
299 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
I was running cm10.2 on my original at&t s3 when the screen broke. I sent it back as-is and had no issues at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greycloak42 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes