Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 41,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 all sensors stopped working?

Tip us?

quietperson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 4 all sensors stopped working?

The device is a Nexus 4, unlocked, unrooted. It is currently running stock jellybean 4.3
when purchased it was on jelly bean. sensors worked fine.

i have been using the device for 4 months
sometime after the kitkat OTA update (before any unlocking/flashing/rooting was done to the phone) the autorotate started malfunctioning.
till date i have flashed three kitkat aosp roms before returning to jellybean stock after the final rom crashed and i lost all data.
on the second kitkat rom autorotate stopped working completely.
after that irrespective of the rom it did not work. when i used the cpu-z app i saw that ALL sensors were unresponsive.

physical damage to the device so far:
dropped thrice from a height of about 2.5 ft. with protective case on.
dropped once in water (submerged) for two seconds. (the phone still functioned normally)

other problems: device has shown consistent issues with flashing -
phone freezes/switches off /
failure to boot successfully after flashing a new rom/ trying to restore backup/startup from fastboot mode/startup from recovery/
app crashes

is the sensor issue a software bug or an indicator of serious hardware damage?
and why is the device behaving so unstable after flashing

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 585

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietperson View Post
The device is a Nexus 4, unlocked, unrooted. It is currently running stock jellybean 4.3
when purchased it was on jelly bean. sensors worked fine.

i have been using the device for 4 months
sometime after the kitkat OTA update (before any unlocking/flashing/rooting was done to the phone) the autorotate started malfunctioning.
till date i have flashed three kitkat aosp roms before returning to jellybean stock after the final rom crashed and i lost all data.
on the second kitkat rom autorotate stopped working completely.
after that irrespective of the rom it did not work. when i used the cpu-z app i saw that ALL sensors were unresponsive.

physical damage to the device so far:
dropped thrice from a height of about 2.5 ft. with protective case on.
dropped once in water (submerged) for two seconds. (the phone still functioned normally)

other problems: device has shown consistent issues with flashing -
phone freezes/switches off /
failure to boot successfully after flashing a new rom/ trying to restore backup/startup from fastboot mode/startup from recovery/
app crashes

is the sensor issue a software bug or an indicator of serious hardware damage?
and why is the device behaving so unstable after flashing
Water is acting deadly to phones in most cases. Have you cleaned the phone after if fell in the water? You can try cleaning possible debris with pure alcohol. This would happen on your OWN RESPONSE of course!

Have you tried to FULL WIPE + flash stock firmware?
HTC One S @ PAC-man 4.4.2 [ALPHA1] [12/5/2014] + IceCode Kernel v4.0 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - NO "tampered & warning text" // TWRP mod 2.7.0.8

Samsung Galaxy W @ ParanoidAndroid 4.3 [BETA3] [6/5/2014] + KhaN Kernel v2.0 // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

"REVIVED" HTC Wildfire S @ CyanogenMod 11(AWESOME!!!) [6/5/2014] //HBoot 1.09 - unlocked BL // TWRP 2.7.0.0

It won't hurt you to press "thanks" if me or someone other helped you...

quietperson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD View Post
Water is acting deadly to phones in most cases. Have you cleaned the phone after if fell in the water? You can try cleaning possible debris with pure alcohol. This would happen on your OWN RESPONSE of course!

Have you tried to FULL WIPE + flash stock firmware?

tried full wipe+flash stock multiple times. the failure to boot problem is persistent
the phone red lights a lot when this happens
also after it fell into the water, i shook the phone repeatedly till not a single water droplet fell out of it. i wiped as much water off as i could.
switched off for about two hours. then it worked normally so i stopped worrying.
if it was water damage why did it take a month to show up? i was told if the device doesn't immediately fail, its fine.

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 585

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietperson View Post
tried full wipe+flash stock multiple times. the failure to boot problem is persistent
the phone red lights a lot when this happens
also after it fell into the water, i shook the phone repeatedly till not a single water droplet fell out of it. i wiped as much water off as i could.
switched off for about two hours. then it worked normally so i stopped worrying.
if it was water damage why did it take a month to show up? i was told if the device doesn't immediately fail, its fine.

I'm not a phone tachnician so you may be get some more questions. I service hearing aid technology and due to this i know that calcium oxide and other remainings on the boards often cause malfunctures :P
HTC One S @ PAC-man 4.4.2 [ALPHA1] [12/5/2014] + IceCode Kernel v4.0 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - NO "tampered & warning text" // TWRP mod 2.7.0.8

Samsung Galaxy W @ ParanoidAndroid 4.3 [BETA3] [6/5/2014] + KhaN Kernel v2.0 // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

"REVIVED" HTC Wildfire S @ CyanogenMod 11(AWESOME!!!) [6/5/2014] //HBoot 1.09 - unlocked BL // TWRP 2.7.0.0

It won't hurt you to press "thanks" if me or someone other helped you...

quietperson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
i went to the LG service centre and..

to anyone who has a "can't get past boot animation" problem, try taking your sim card out.
mine had a lot of moisture residue on it. the technician used an eraser to remove the residue, and then the sim was put back in, and after one or two tries, now, i dont have any bootloop issue.
so its probably working.