Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] nano sim question

Tip us?

boxermansr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] nano sim question

I'm (hopefully) going to be getting the M8 today/tomorrow. I presently have an iPhone 5s. Question is, can I use my current nano sim with the M8 or do I need to use the one that it comes with? I know the new SIM has to be used if I want to use NFC or whatever, but Verizon tells me if I activate the new SIM my old one (in my 5s) will expire. I am sure I'll want to swap back and forth quite a bit, so having 900 sims on hand won't be convenient. One rep says I can use my 5s sim, another says no -- so big question is, can I, or can't I? I don't care if NFC won't work, and IDK what the M8 sim would do (if anything) if I tried it in my 5s.

Thanks.

Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermansr View Post
I'm (hopefully) going to be getting the M8 today/tomorrow. I presently have an iPhone 5s. Question is, can I use my current nano sim with the M8 or do I need to use the one that it comes with? I know the new SIM has to be used if I want to use NFC or whatever, but Verizon tells me if I activate the new SIM my old one (in my 5s) will expire. I am sure I'll want to swap back and forth quite a bit, so having 900 sims on hand won't be convenient. One rep says I can use my 5s sim, another says no -- so big question is, can I, or can't I? I don't care if NFC won't work, and IDK what the M8 sim would do (if anything) if I tried it in my 5s.

Thanks.
The way verizon works, I think the sim is sort of tied to the account. You still need to have the ESN on your account as verizon is not purely sim based. Therefore, I do not think you can switch sims, and if you do you MIGHT get purely LTE service, but no cdma.

Frankie1588
Old
Thanks Meter 99
You shouldn't have any problems swapping Sims. I had no problem putting the micro SIM in my HTC one m7 into my droid bionic. I did have to use an adapter since Bionic uses standard SIM but I had no problem.
Current Devices:
HTC One M8 (Verizon): ViperOne
Nexus 7 (1st Gen): VanirAOSP

Previous Devices:
HTC One M7 (Sold)
Motorola Droid Bionic

boxermansr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post
You shouldn't have any problems swapping Sims. I had no problem putting the micro SIM in my HTC one m7 into my droid bionic. I did have to use an adapter since Bionic uses standard SIM but I had no problem.
Did you have to call in, or were you just able to swap the SIM and everything was working? I recall when I had my Razr, and swapped to the Razr Maxx all I had to do was swap the SIM, and I was good to go. Verizon has confirmed with me that the SIM will work, but I guess I won't have NFC, which again I don't care about either way. Just want to make it as simple as possible, and not have Verizon fiddle with my plan.

Frankie1588
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermansr View Post
Did you have to call in, or were you just able to swap the SIM and everything was working? I recall when I had my Razr, and swapped to the Razr Maxx all I had to do was swap the SIM, and I was good to go. Verizon has confirmed with me that the SIM will work, but I guess I won't have NFC, which again I don't care about either way. Just want to make it as simple as possible, and not have Verizon fiddle with my plan.
Nope I never had to call. I even noticed that it changed my phone on the My Verizon website which was neat.
Current Devices:
HTC One M8 (Verizon): ViperOne
Nexus 7 (1st Gen): VanirAOSP

Previous Devices:
HTC One M7 (Sold)
Motorola Droid Bionic

mcp2009
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
You shouldn't have any issues and no you don't have to call. I have a micro sim cut to a nano and I switch it between my M7 and 5S every now and then. If I plan on switching between my 5S and M8 it'll be easier since they both use nano.
Surface Pro 128GB-Love It
Note 2-Passed Down
HTC One-Back Up
iPhone 5S-Back Up
HTC M8-Loving It Can't Wait For Root

Nilius17
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'm using my nano Sim from my 5s in my new M8 now. Didn't call VZW, did nothing on line, just popped it out of the iPhone and into the One.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PhantomApollyon
Old
(Last edited by PhantomApollyon; 28th March 2014 at 02:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 98
Assuming you're switching between devices that have like provisioning(which the two phones will) you will for sure be fine, no need to call. The devices will check in with the platform when they first boot up and the device ID on the account will change on it's own after a short while without you needing to do anything.
--HTC One M8--
HTC Droid DNA - retired & sold | Nexus 7 -retired & sold | HTC Rezound -retired & sold | HP Touchpad -retired & sold | HTC Thunderbolt -retired & sold | HTC EVO -retired & sold

Old
Thanks Meter 243
Well it is good to be corrected then. I take my statement back, I had no idea verizon started making sense.

meest
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123421342 View Post
Well it is good to be corrected then. I take my statement back, I had no idea verizon started making sense.
They did as soon as they switched to 4g sim cards.

As long as devices you swap between are 4g I haven't had an issue. The problem is when you go from 4g to 3g back in the gnex to iPhone 4s days. Every time you did that you'd burn a sim card on Verizon.

Now iI can swap from my m8 to my iPhone 5 with a quick sim swap.