Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 51,860 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BASEBANDS][TUTORIAL] Freedom! Choose your baseband.

Tip us?

Newbleeto
Old
(Last edited by Newbleeto; 14th January 2014 at 10:51 PM.) Reason: Added 20D-AME Baseband
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Post [BASEBANDS][TUTORIAL] Freedom! Choose your baseband.

Up until now, this topic has largely remained in the dark. Not anymore however!
I have figured out how to flash different basebands onto our phone. Unfortunately, at the moment, doing so requires a "factory reset" of sorts, and you will have to re-flash the recovery image and restore your nandroid backup afterwards.

I look forward to finding a better way, but this will suffice, I think, if you, like me, have had terrible GPS problems.

The main use for replacing the baseband is bad GPS signal. Best results have been reported using the ICS basebands for people with trouble getting a signal / finding satellites.

!!DISCLAIMER!!
This is probably not for the uninitiated. It will most likely be fine, but I give no guarantees whatsoever. I paid attention when putting this together, but the only baseband I have tested myself is the V10H - EUR, that is currently running on my phone.
If you end up without IMEI, unable to make phone calls, your phone doesn't boot, I am not responsible and might not be able to help you.
I HIGHLY recommend you have your bootloader unlocked before you try this. I don't know if it will work with a locked one, it might, but I wouldn't try it.

However if you pay attention, are careful and follow instructions, you should be fine.

Pre-requesites:
Tutorial:
  • Download and extract the "Model firmware" and the baseband you mean to flash and place them under a folder named Baseband
  • Open the Hex Editor
  • With the Hex Editor, open the baseband file.
  • You will see a bunch of numbers and letters, nevermind them. Just make sure the first four blocks of the file are numbered 30 12 95 78, they should be, if not STOP and use another baseband. Also warn me so I can correct it,
  • Now that you have all selected, right click, select all and copy.
  • DO NOT CLOSE THE HEX EDITOR.
  • Now open the model firmware file (it ends in .dz)
  • Open the search dialog box. You want to search for "INSERT" and datatype "text string" - should be in a drop box somewhere.
  • Now you will see on the left a bunch of Fs with INSERT FLS HERE in the middle. Select everything between and INCLUDING the first and last F on the block. (the first and last block should be addressed 2484 and 24D3, respectively).
  • Right-click and paste
  • If it warns you the file size will change, say you're okay with it.
  • Now save the file and call it "Flash.dz"
  • MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS WELL ABOVE 50% BEFORE PROCEDING!!
  • Now flash the .dz file you just created with the X3_v0.0.7.4.dll using the LG Flash Tool as per instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2179126
  • Congratulations! You are now running the baseband of your choice. Let it boot, root it, flash the recovery, restore your nandroid and presto!

Tools:
Model firmware: https://mega.co.nz/#!kQMG1CSB!GFvbEw...CVU2s_QUrZ8CmY

ICS Basebands:
V10A - EUR (Europe)
V10B - 262-000 (Europe , Portugal)
V10B - 525-01 (Singapore)
V10B - 714 (Panama)
V10B - AMX (Puerto Rico)
V10C - HKG (Hong Kong)
V10D - EUR (Europe)
V10E - ESA (Thailand)
V10E - TMO (Germany\T-Mobile)
V10F - EUR (Europe)
V10H - EUR (Europe)

JB Basebands:
20A-232-01 (Austria)
20C-232-10 (Austria)
20A-262-000 (UK , Portugal)
20A-525-05 (Singapore)
20A-ESA (Thailand)
20A-EUR (Europe)
20B-EUR (Europe)
20B-466-92 (Taiwan)
20B-BUM (China)
20B-CIS (CIS)
20B-HKG (Hong Kong)
20C-AME (Nigeria)
20D-AME (Turkey)

!!ALTERNATE METHOD FOR JB BASEBANDS!!
The tutorial above is the only method available to flash ICS basebands at the moment. To flash JB basebands, however, if you prefer, you can grab the full roms from here (the corresponding countries are between parentesis above):
http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=15
and flash the .kdz file with LG PC Suite hacker or KDZ flasher. You can find more information about that here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2134192
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2069723
Then just proceed to root and flash your nandroid backup as usual, The baseband will be kept.
Thanks to Flying_Bear for reminding me to include this method!

Commentary and what to expect:
Using the 10H baseband did wonders for my GPS. It might do for you to if you had great GPS on ICS but not on JB. Different region basebands might make a difference too, I'm not sure how they differ from each other.
I am not a developer, just a user like you who had a problem and decided to tackle it in the ways he knew. If you want to help or have any relevant input, please don't be shy, I will listen and be greatful for it.
You might have noticed there is a short list on the ICS baseband side. That is because there are many more left to add but I didn't want to delay making this guide any longer.
Also, I will try to make an executable to automate this byte replacing process, but make no promisses. My coding skills are limited and so is my time - if you'd like to do it, feel free to do so. I'll put your work here and give you full credit!
If you're an advanced user or developer, wondering about RILs and whatnot, don't change the RIL. I'm not sure it'll work for every single baseband here, but for the 10H - EUR, the 20A - EUR and the 20B - HKG it works fine. Changing the RIL breaks the phone and you have to restore a backup.
The basebands were extracted from .dz file of stock firmwares downloaded from the LG website. The name is that which is in the .dz file after extraction from the .kdz and the basebands listed differ in md5 checksum from each other. How they are different, I have no idea.
I'll put a FAQ up with the most asked questions, if there are any.

Cheers!
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Newbleeto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Newbleeto
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Reserved 1
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbleeto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Newbleeto
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Reserved 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbleeto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flying_Bear
Old
Thanks Meter 713
thanks for this, i have pretty crappy gps on any of 20x variations, so i'll try ICS baseband either tonight or tomorrow. thanks again!
To install custom roms on O4x:

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
4. flash custom recovery (cwm)
5. flash roms
6. if you encounter any issues, search, they've been answered already.

Got issues with RIL/IMEI/BASEBAND on custom 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 ROMs on p880? Click me for possible solution!

brunek
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Will flashing a different baseband resolve baseband wakelock which is a big battery drainer on my LG?

Flying_Bear
Old
Thanks Meter 713
also, a tip - you dont need to use lgflashtool to change basebands between 20x versions - you can flash kdz trough lg pc suite hacker or kdz flasher, then restore your nandroid backup. the method described here is useful to get 10x basebands, since you cant just flash kdz to rollback to ics.

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
5. flash roms

Got issues with RIL/IMEI/BASEBAND on custom 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 ROMs on p880? Click me for possible solution!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flying_Bear For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Newbleeto
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunek View Post
Will flashing a different baseband resolve baseband wakelock which is a big battery drainer on my LG?
I'm not sure, give it a shot. But I believe that is a different issue that is kernel related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Bear View Post
also, a tip - you dont need to use lgflashtool to change basebands between 20x versions - you can flash kdz trough lg pc suite hacker or kdz flasher, then restore your nandroid backup. the method described here is useful to get 10x basebands, since you cant just flash kdz to rollback to ics.
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I am aware of that. It's just that I really like LGFlashTool better. Also, thought it would be a good idea to systematize the different basebands availible under one flashing method, to be less confusing, and to save the good people downloading some bandwith (5 mbs baseband vs. 500 mb full rom). Also, it's a complex method, but at least it's just one!

Flying_Bear
Old
(Last edited by Flying_Bear; 19th June 2013 at 01:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbleeto View Post
Thanks for the tip! Actually, I am aware of that. It's just that I really like LGFlashTool better. Also, thought it would be a good idea to systematize the different basebands availible under one flashing method, to be less confusing, and to save the good people downloading some bandwith (5 mbs baseband vs. 500 mb full rom). Also, it's a complex method, but at least it's just one!
^^

for me, lgflashtool seems like a hit and miss, i had some issues gettting it to work right now. flashing the modified .dz with 10h bb atm. i agree it's better to have unified method, the kdz one can stay as an alternative to people who have bunch of kdzs lying around (like me, had 20a & 20b leaks, 20a eu, 20a esa & 20b hk, tried all of their basebands and gps locator was slower than what i remember on ics) or dont feel comfortable working with flashtool, or have issues with it etc.

edit:
flashed modified .dz, no issues as of yet, gonna restore nandroid backup now (first root & recovery setup, /yawn), and we'll see how it goes

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
5. flash roms

The Following User Says Thank You to Flying_Bear For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Newbleeto
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Bear View Post
^^

for me, lgflashtool seems like a hit and miss, i had some issues gettting it to work right now. flashing the modified .dz with 10h bb atm. i agree it's better to have unified method, the kdz one can stay as an alternative to people who have bunch of kdzs lying around (like me, had 20a & 20b leaks, 20a eu, 20a esa & 20b hk, tried all of their basebands and gps locator was slower than what i remember on ics) or dont feel comfortable working with flashtool, or have issues with it etc.

edit:
flashed modified .dz, no issues as of yet, gonna restore nandroid backup now (first root & recovery setup, /yawn), and we'll see how it goes
Let me know if it works for you! I had some luck with the HK 20A baseband, but the 10H really fixed it for me. Also, added your method to the original post

Flying_Bear
Old
(Last edited by Flying_Bear; 19th June 2013 at 02:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 713
A proof it works I'll test gps tomorrow to see if i have improvements. Thank you!

edit:
actually, just went to my windows to test it lol, got a signal in under than a minute, while it took over 10 on JB baseband. thank you again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371603585033.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2053316  

1. upgrade to jb
2. root
3. unlock bootloader
5. flash roms

Tags
baseband, gps, lg optimus 4x hd, radio