XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Smile [Q] ROM support?

OP Devzz

15th May 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

175 posts
More
Hey guys, I recently got the xperia Z2 over the HTC One M8 to test out before I commit to buying it and having looked on XDA, I can't help but get feeling his phone won't have a great ammount of ROM support from most developers, at least not for a while. Am I wrong in thinking so? I also read somewhere that rooting or unlocking triggers some DRM stuff and things like x-reality stop working. Is this true? If so, what's the point? I though Sony was trying to be more developer friendly? If anyone could answer some of these questions I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not asking for an ETA on ROMs just that I don't see a massive Sony market in the US and so I feel like it will be lacking in terms of choice. If that is the case and especially if i cannot convert to a GPE equvialent or something then at this point would the HTC one M8 be a better choice?
15th May 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 72

323 posts
More
I also got the Z2 because i liked the phone way better then S5 and M8 but am also worried about developer support. I also got Z which now has quit some support but still not as much as i was used to have on my HTC's.
15th May 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 93

336 posts
Phone had a lot of dificulties at launch, late release and stuff, its not even worldwide available yet, but yeah, development wont be as active as s5 or m8, but i prefer quality over quantity, so what if s5 has 10 exactly same roms with different name, you will get all major roms since its one of the currently big 3 phones.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to feis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer / Themer
Flag Enghien
Thanks Meter: 36,627

7,056 posts
Donate to Me
More
Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devzz

Hey guys, I recently got the xperia Z2 over the HTC One M8 to test out before I commit to buying it and having looked on XDA, I can't help but get feeling his phone won't have a great ammount of ROM support from most developers, at least not for a while. Am I wrong in thinking so? I also read somewhere that rooting or unlocking triggers some DRM stuff and things like x-reality stop working. Is this true? If so, what's the point? I though Sony was trying to be more developer friendly? If anyone could answer some of these questions I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not asking for an ETA on ROMs just that I don't see a massive Sony market in the US and so I feel like it will be lacking in terms of choice. If that is the case and especially if i cannot convert to a GPE equvialent or something then at this point would the HTC one M8 be a better choice?

You're wrong, I will soon build a rom for the Xperia Z2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niaboc79 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

175 posts
More
Yeah exactly. I am more worried about the DRM stuff and the fact that I do like stock android so I may want to convert to GPE; in your opinion, is the ROM scene for the M8 worth swapping this phone for?
15th May 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

175 posts
More
Thanks niaboc! :P but do you truthfully think I should wait and do you think there will be a good enough amount of mods etc? Also what about the DRM stuff?
15th May 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 15

49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaboc79

You're wrong, I will soon build a rom for the Xperia Z2

This is great news! I've been missing your Existenz Roms from my Z!
15th May 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

175 posts
More
No argument there, the phone did have launch issues definitely. I understand your quality over quantity issue but 3 ROMs I need without fail are PA, Slimkat and a Google play edition; especially the GPE. Do you think that will happen truthfully? On the M8 it already has and its a matter of flashing it now really. I feel like if I choose the Z2 and wait and the experience isn't good then I may be disappointed quite a lot no matter how great the phone is and I'm worried about that seeing as it is an expensive investment!
15th May 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 93

336 posts
Drm seems to be a problem of past. I unlocked bootloader, lost drm keys, and only thing i lost is music and video unlimitted service, which i wasnt using anyways. Its your choice, we cannot see future and tell how many roms gonna be here compared to m8, but im sure its gonna be plenty for my needs. I bought z2 and m8, and they both are briliant, but as you can see im using z2 now, while my father got m8. Only real advantage in m8 for me was feeling you get holding it, that shape is amazingly comfortable.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2
15th May 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer / Themer
Flag Enghien
Thanks Meter: 36,627

7,056 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devzz

Yeah exactly. I am more worried about the DRM stuff and the fact that I do like stock android so I may want to convert to GPE; in your opinion, is the ROM scene for the M8 worth swapping this phone for?

I am choosing a phone for his design and hardware...

What's the point to have 300 roms who are nearly identicals.

Envoyé de mon D6503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread