Prompt [Q] New TN7 - what to do first: root or upgrade?

OP freeekbert

30th March 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

55 posts
More
Hello guys,

my TN7 is nagging me to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 via OTA. I've read that with the upgrade the bootloader will be locked and if I tried to root afterwards a full wipe will be neccessary to unlock the bootloader.
So here's my question: if I root first and upgrade then will root access persist or do I have to suffer a full reset anyway? What would you suggest?

Any hints are appreciated!
30th March 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 7

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeekbert

Hello guys,

my TN7 is nagging me to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.3 via OTA. I've read that with the upgrade the bootloader will be locked and if I tried to root afterwards a full wipe will be neccessary to unlock the bootloader.
So here's my question: if I root first and upgrade then will root access persist or do I have to suffer a full reset anyway? What would you suggest?

Any hints are appreciated!

I have not rooted my device but after you upgrade to 4.3, within 5-10 minutes it will ask you again to upgrade to 4.4.2. I think you should consider this also before rooting. ( I am having 4.4.2. )
What is the advantage of rooting TN7?
31st March 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asratxda

I have not rooted my device but after you upgrade to 4.3, within 5-10 minutes it will ask you again to upgrade to 4.4.2. I think you should consider this also before rooting.

Thanks for the info. Up to now I'm not a big fan of KitKat...
Quote:

What is the advantage of rooting TN7?

All my Android devices are rooted, because in general I don't like the idea that there is a lot of potential hidden from the customer. For example if you want to make Nandroid backups you need root access. And I'm using Nandroids excessively
Other apps like Tasker need root access to use their full potential.

So the question remains: will root stick through the upgrade(s) or not? And if it doesn't, what can I do make it persist?
Last edited by freeekbert; 31st March 2014 at 09:09 AM.
2nd April 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 12

112 posts
no, you will need to root after each update. So you might as well do the updates, then the root. many here are wishing they would have just stayed on 4.3 and not rooted (IMHO) The only thing I like about KK is the gamepad mapper.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsbrewers For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #5  
Flag York, UK
Thanks Meter: 32

378 posts
More
I did the two updates (4.3 and then 4.4.2) then I unlocked the boot loader and rooted using the tool as it supports the 4.4.3 update.

Was plain sailing and no problems.

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to philje123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd April 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Thanks guys, so I'm going to root on current version to backup all apps and settings. Then I can do both updates and unlock the boot loader without worrying about data loss.
I'll give feedback how it went :thumbsup:
6th April 2014, 06:59 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Thumbs up
So, I promised to report back. Coming from Android 4.2.2 I did the following:
  1. Root like described in here:
    HTML Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47810386&postcount=1
    I used the Chinese method, but please be aware that this way there is strange software installed on your device.
  2. Then I grabbed Titanium Backup Pro and created a backup of all my installed apps. Those backups and important data from internal storage were pushed to a remote FTP server, because I read that unlocking the boot loader also wipes sdcard0.
  3. Next step is installing all three OTA updates. Please be patient, because that this (especially the update to 4.4.2) may take some time.
  4. Unlock boot loader. CAUTION: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! Follow the instructions of Super Tool:
    HTML Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2627654
  5. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery with Super Tool or manually via fastboot. I recommend Super Tool, because it's very handy to use.
  6. Boot to CWM and flash SuperSU.zip by Chainfire and you should be good to go. Now you can reinstall Titanium Backup and restore your previously backed up apps and data from your remote location!

I hope this could come in handy for someone!
6th April 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #8  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 7

85 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeekbert

So, I promised to report back. Coming from Android 4.2.2 I did the following:

1. Root like described in here:
    HTML Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47810386&postcount=1
    I used the Chinese method, but please be aware that this way there is strange software installed on your device.
  2. Then I grabbed Titanium Backup Pro and created a backup of all my installed apps. Those backups and important data from internal storage were pushed to a remote FTP server, because I read that unlocking the boot loader also wipes sdcard0.
  3. Next step is installing all three OTA updates. Please be patient, because that this (especially the update to 4.4.2) may take some time.
  4. Unlock boot loader. CAUTION: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST! Follow the instructions of Super Tool:
    HTML Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2627654
  5. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery with Super Tool or manually via fastboot. I recommend Super Tool, because it's very handy to use.
  6. Boot to CWM and flash SuperSU.zip by Chainfire and you should be good to go. Now you can reinstall Titanium Backup and restore your previously backed up apps and data from your remote location!

I hope this could come in handy for someone!

GREAT!!!! you finally rooted your device!!! I just want to ask you, is it possible to flash "SuperSU.zip" from "STOCK recovery" after unlocking the bootloader? i.e
1) Unlock bootloader 2) Flash SuperSU.zip from stock recovery ; thats all, now your are rooted. ???
I am going to root , but after at least 3-4 month's of usage. In the past I had rooted LG O1, CUBE U9GT4, iBall Andi4.3a. I also love taking BKPs with TB, very useful for game progress.
Have you tried "viper4android audio mod" and "GLTools"(for maximizing graphics performance for any app)?
7th April 2014, 06:07 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

55 posts
More
Quote:

I just want to ask you, is it possible to flash "SuperSU.zip" from "STOCK recovery" after unlocking the bootloader? i.e
1) Unlock bootloader 2) Flash SuperSU.zip from stock recovery ; thats all, now your are rooted. ???

Nope, unfortunately it won't work this way, because the stock recovery system looks for a special signature which is not present in the zip file.

Quote:

Have you tried "viper4android audio mod" and "GLTools"(for maximizing graphics performance for any app)?

Neither one of them. But this is possibly because I don't play games on my tablet usually

Quote:

I am going to root , but after at least 3-4 month's of usage.

Personally I'd do it as soon as possible, because you will lose all your saved data. So the earlier you root, the less you have to restore

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread