Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[IMPORTANT]How to backup large size apps for non rooted phones!!

Tip us?

Abdelrahman.Kh.B
Old
(Last edited by Abdelrahman.Kh.B; 17th July 2014 at 08:02 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [IMPORTANT]How to backup large size apps for non rooted phones!!

Howdy, everyone

*I think that you guys might have been trying to backup an app with a higher size than 50 Megabytes, you may have noticed that you will get an .apk file that is lower than 50 Megabytes even if this app consumes 1 gigabyte of your device storage!

*The reason of this concern is that the Google Play store doesn't allow developers to upload an .apk file >50 Megabytes, so for the apps that is higher they have to develop additional files with .obb extension to contain all of the remaining data in it then upload it to the store!

Let's get into the easy steps to backup the required app:

#Head to the following directory in your mobile: /sdcard/Android/obb
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402755467063.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2797782

#You will find a folder named as following in general: com."developer name"."app name" with no spaces.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402755815506.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2797789

#Locate the file of the chosen app then open it you will find an .obb files/file.

#Copy all the files you can see to your computer or any safe place, you may copy the whole folder.

#Get any app that could backup your installed apps into an .apk file, for example ES File Explorer available on Google Play.

#Backup the required app and you're done. Click image for larger version

Name:	1402755427170.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2797780

#All you have to do now when you are ready to restore the app is to create a folder in obb folder with the same name format and put the files you copied from there before, or simply copy the whole folder again.

#Install the .apk file you have created ordinarily, and open the app while you have an Internet connection just to verify the setup.

Now your app is ready again to be used exactly like the old days!

Tell me if this was useful and if I have said something wrong.

Best Regards
Abdelrahman Khalid Bannora

Sent from Egypt!!

pshashikant
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Very useful Tip

This is indeed very useful tip. You can easily backup your large game apps using this technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdelrahman.Kh.B View Post
Howdy, everyone

*I think that you guys might have been trying to backup an app with a higher size than 50 Megabytes, you may have noticed that you will get an .apk file that is lower than 50 Megabytes even if this app consumes 1 gigabyte of your device storage!

*The reason of this concern is that the Google Play store doesn't allow developers to upload an .apk file >50 Megabytes, so for the apps that is higher they have to develop additional files with .obb extension to contain all of the remaining data in it then upload it to the store!

Let's get into the easy steps to backup the required app:

#Head to the following directory in your mobile: /sdcard/Android/obb
Attachment 2797782

#You will find a folder named as following in general: com."developer name"."app name" with no spaces.
Attachment 2797789

#Locate the file of the chosen app then open it you will find an .obb files/file.

#Copy all the files you can see to your computer or any safe place, you may copy the whole folder.

#Get any app that could backup your installed apps into an .apk file, for example ES File Explorer available on Google Play.

#Backup the required app and you're done. Attachment 2797780

#All you have to do now when you are ready to restore the app is to create a folder in obb folder with the same name format and put the files you copied from there before, or simply copy the whole folder again.

#Install the .apk file you have created ordinarily, and open the app while you have an Internet connection just to verify the setup.

Now your app is ready again to be used exactly like the old days!

Tell me if this was useful and if I have said something wrong.

Best Regards
Abdelrahman Khalid Bannora

Sent from Egypt!!

Abdelrahman.Kh.B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your feedback, you're greatly appreciated.

eddyhall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mobogenie let's you download from your PC,move ALL apps to SD, download YouTube videos, backup data, and one click for root. Let me know how it works for you. Move KNOX to SD? I did.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Abdelrahman.Kh.B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't use Mobegenie!
However backing up with it won't let you get an .apk file format with higher size than 50 Megabytes!!

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Free mobile app

DemoCloud
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If you have a rooted phone just use titanium backup. Works awesome. If you have a stock phone... use this method.
The Following User Says Thank You to DemoCloud For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Abdelrahman.Kh.B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You're right, this method is for non rooted users!

Abdelrahman.Kh.B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The topic has been modified!

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Free mobile app