OP Hiya Buddy

7th April 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 3

55 posts
More
Hi all,

I have some concerns about the quality of streaming video (Netflix, HBO Go, Max Go, Etc) from my phone. Every time I get home I connect my phone and charger to the MHL 2.0 adapter and then that to my TV. I purchased the adapter at a local Best Buy so I'm pretty sure it's not a fake adapter. I have a Samsung f8500 tv (phone doesn't charge even though I connect it to the port HDMI 4 that says MHL). The tv identifies the MHL cable and my phone as a 1080/60p source and the home screen kinda looks like 1080p. As soon as I start up Netflix there is a slight moment where the quality is poor (buffering I assume) then it stabilizes out. It does NOT look like 1080p not even 1080i it might be 720i because I know what 720p looks like from a PS3. I don't get what is wrong with the quality.

I think it might be the fact that I stream over my mobile network even though it is T-Mobile LTE (On average I get about 25 mbps down and 20 mbps up with less than 50ms latency). I don't, however, notice a difference in quality (on my phone) when I stream over wifi (Xfinity 50 mbps down etc) or over LTE. The problem I have is that I don't have a dedicated wifi connection at my house. The best thing I have is DSL from the first floor (I have an attic room) from my grandmother which is terribly slow and will fail horribly at streaming. Therefore, I use my unlimited data plan to stream shows to my TV. I only wish the quality of the MHL adapter was better.

There is a chromecast and the same model tv (f8500) at my place of work where I am nothing but amazed by the streaming quality when I'm on a lunch break. I understand there is a difference between my Note 3 and a chromecast and what networks they connect to, but both devices supposedly output 1080/60p. The chromecast absolutely whips my phone with the MHL adapter but alas, I can't use a chromecast at home because of my home internet limitations. If I got the allshare cast hub, would there be any difference in video streaming quality versus the MHL adapter? I'm not sure if there is some streaming quality limitation that Netflix or HBO impose on their apps when using the HDMI out ability.

P.S. If I could root my note 3 on kitkat (NB4 kernel) without tripping knox flags (T-Mobile Jump Reasons) and found a hotspot hack I would just connect the chromecast to my phone's hotspot and initiate the videos from my iPad and enjoy, but of course it's not a perfect world so I need a workaround.

Thanks for any help...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread