Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android 4.3/4.4

Tip us?

gerhardo
Old
(Last edited by gerhardo; 8th March 2014 at 10:58 PM.) Reason: More info from G+
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default Android 4.3/4.4

Any information on an Android upgrade?
My primary interest is getting BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I just found that 4.3 has some limitations (max 4 notifications, supposedly 7 in 4.4), so 4.4 may be what is needed. (I am playing with a TI SensorTag that has 7 sensors and I want to use them all.)

Omate said during KS that 4.3 dev was to be started "soon after KS, when 4.2 was ready". I do not consider Mediatek/Umeox/Omate being ready with 4.2 though, there are a lot of missing pieces.
Kurt Huwig indicated a couple of weeks ago on G+ that a 4.3 upgrade was to be available "soon". (Needed for increased BT stability?)
Laurent Le Pen said on G+ that 4.4 was to be ready in March, but I believe he meant that MediaTek was to be ready then. Omate answered on Facebook that Android 4.4 was to be released in August(required to support iOS companion they said).

Loki mentioned that there are work ongoing with CM and OmniRom, but without kernel sources, the work is hard and not rewarding. I would say this is the "easy"* solution otherwise, there are a number of other MT6572 phones that could share the work. LePen has endorsed CM several times, which may not be a contributor, but it is at least not working against the cause.
There has supposedly been some discussions between LePen an Mediatek (involving Daniel Ortiz) in the beginning of March.

* It is not easy to port to CM in a complete way even if you "boot in a day", but CM devs and kangers seem to succeed better on their spare time than many phone manufacturers. I have 4.4 on my 3.5 year old ZTE Blade, with ARMv6 and 512MB. That setup has not been supported by even Google and even less by Qualcom, since 4.0, yet it is working OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to gerhardo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BenjaminM
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same here. I'm waiting for the 4.3/4.4 to get BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I'm a runner and would use my TS for tracking my runs, that is GPS+BLTE Heart Rate Monitor+BT Headphones.
Lets cross fingers for this will not take so long and will be delivered...

porzerwolle
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminM View Post
Same here. I'm waiting for the 4.3/4.4 to get BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I'm a runner and would use my TS for tracking my runs, that is GPS+BLTE Heart Rate Monitor+BT Headphones.
Lets cross fingers for this will not take so long and will be delivered...
I m in good hope , too. Need a stable bt function cause want to have a companion mode for my phone. still, none of them are working...

rhineymac
Old
Thanks Meter 8
BT stack issues are being fixed now at omate. Two to four weeks and there releasing an update for companion mode to resolve the issue.

kuronosan
Old
Thanks Meter 338
June is what I hear. Skipping 4.3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Click here to donate.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuronosan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]