Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Custom ROMs with Credo Mobile?

OP wakko310

30th April 2012, 01:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
I looked and could not find a good answer to this. I am the proud new owner of a Galaxy Epic 4G Touch through Credo Mobile (the progressive Sprint reseller). I would like to install a custom ROM (CM9), but before I do, I need to know:

1) Will I have a problem activating my phone on Credo (I assume that most ROMs assume you're with Sprint proper)?

2) Once I have managed to activate it, will there be features -- calling, SMS, MMS, etc. -- that won't work?

3) Will I have a problem activating Google Voice (haven't tried on stock yet, but I have a sense of how it should go)?

4) Is there anything else I should know about the Credo / Custom ROM combination that I don't have the good sense to ask here (as a longtime CM user, I've got the basic principles of ROM-flashing down)?

Thanks all, ahead of time, for your answers!
The Following User Says Thank You to wakko310 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2012, 05:24 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
(Sorry to even do this, but ...)
*bump*
1st May 2012, 06:59 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 56

700 posts
Flashing roms do not affect the modem(which is where your service programming is stored), unless you flash a new modem of course.

I an on boost and i never have problems with any ROM, roms only affect the system partition. The modem is completely different.

If you flash a new modem, you may need to do a profile update to keep your 3g profile up to date.

I haven't heard of that so idk if a profile update will work (only with Sprint service and plans can you do an ota profile update). I am not on Sprint so i have to manually update my data profile through qpst service programming.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Last edited by kenfly; 1st May 2012 at 07:01 PM.
15th February 2013, 10:38 AM   |  #4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 132

636 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakko310

I looked and could not find a good answer to this. I am the proud new owner of a Galaxy Epic 4G Touch through Credo Mobile (the progressive Sprint reseller). I would like to install a custom ROM (CM9), but before I do, I need to know:

1) Will I have a problem activating my phone on Credo (I assume that most ROMs assume you're with Sprint proper)?

2) Once I have managed to activate it, will there be features -- calling, SMS, MMS, etc. -- that won't work?

3) Will I have a problem activating Google Voice (haven't tried on stock yet, but I have a sense of how it should go)?

4) Is there anything else I should know about the Credo / Custom ROM combination that I don't have the good sense to ask here (as a longtime CM user, I've got the basic principles of ROM-flashing down)?

Thanks all, ahead of time, for your answers!

1. I had no problems rooting and running Blazer & Paranoid Android ROMs as if it was a Sprint phone.

2. I have a weird issue where when I get voicemails they send me an SMS, or txt (I didn't know there was a difference...), and a number to dial to choose between the 2. Then after a few minutes I sometimes get the voicemail in the Voicemail app as well. As far as MMS, I don't use them, I use email for sending pictures and videos, but if you needed that, there are instructions for changing your MMSC URL. It didn't work for me, but I don't use them anyways so I didn't bother struggling with it. Also I learned that for CM based ROMs, the ##3282## is #*#*3282*#*# or *#*#3282#*#* one or the other I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosez.315

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchannel9

Saw your post on the closed PA thread:

"Hey all! I'm upset to see Kbizz go NOW that I try it! I love it all, it runs very nice. Two qualms though. It didn't install with a camera, is that in the gapps I can't remember; and we use jb gapps, correct? also, how do we use dialer codes? I've got to edit a mscurl so I can accept and send pictures. I have a third party (Credo) phone carrier through Sprint."

I have Credo too, what extra things do we have to do to get full functionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn

There's the problem - you're on an MVNO.

1) Go to phone and enter ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Go to Edit and enter MSL
3) Go to Others and then MMSC URL
4) Change from mms.sprintpcs.com to mms.plspictures.com

This should restore MMS.

3. I'm about to set up Google Voice, but I can't figure out if the Sprint/GV combo works with CREDO, it seems to not recognize the number as a Sprint number, so that may be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzbob701

Treat your phone just like a Sprint phone. I've had mine for over a year now and rooted since day one. Mijjz Goodness Roms have been my favorites.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Hope that's somewhat helpful
15th February 2013, 01:54 PM   |  #5  
Flag California

636 posts
More
Here's another thread dealing with the MMS issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1824916
The Following User Says Thank You to kchannel9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 06:12 AM   |  #6  
Flag California

636 posts
More
Audio
In case anyone is interested, I dropped Credo like a hot rock and am happily now on Ting saving like $150 a month, no joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to kchannel9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 28,661

15,678 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchannel9

In case anyone is interested, I dropped Credo like a hot rock and am happily now on Ting saving like $150 a month, no joke.

I'm on Ting too, love it. I get LTE at home with my S3. And I have a low bill cuz I'm always on Wi-Fi.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread