Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] CM11 Gyroscope Problem

OP MrKrunch

8th January 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
More
I love this forum! For the first time, I can't find an answer to my problem here, so I am hoping someone can help.

Like the title says, I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 VILLUMINATI 12-7-13, and it's great. I have everything working, except for the gyroscope! When I flashed back to a 4.1.2 ROM, "Touched by an S4" the gyroscope worked perfectly. Then I bring it back to 4.4, and the gyroscope acts crazy. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, I'm running ART and I don't get any FCs at this point.

Any advice? Hope? Thanks.
8th January 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #2  

4 posts
Have you tried the basic, Factory reset, reflashing the rom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrunch

I love this forum! For the first time, I can't find an answer to my problem here, so I am hoping someone can help.

Like the title says, I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 VILLUMINATI 12-7-13, and it's great. I have everything working, except for the gyroscope! When I flashed back to a 4.1.2 ROM, "Touched by an S4" the gyroscope worked perfectly. Then I bring it back to 4.4, and the gyroscope acts crazy. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, I'm running ART and I don't get any FCs at this point.

Any advice? Hope? Thanks.

I have used this rom before with no problems.. hmmm..... what was the process of you getting to villuminati? and what recovery?
10th January 2014, 02:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOz

I have used this rom before with no problems.. hmmm..... what was the process of you getting to villuminati? and what recovery?

Thanks for the reply. Here's basically what I did: Flashed CM10.2 nightly, booted the phone, rebooted to recover, wiped everything in mounts and davlik, Flashed CM11, gapps-kk-11192013, booted the phone, turned on ART, rebooted to recovery, flashed Linux Guy's Camera Fix, cleared cache and davlik, and rebooted the phone.

Had problems with Google Text to Voice force closing constantly, so I used Root Explorer to delete the apk, then re-installed it from the Play Store. I still get some random screen touches from the system, or the 3g will stop completely (fix by turning airplane mode on and off), or the panel buttons will be unresponsive (fixed by turning the screen on and off). Weird.

Now, when I use Android Sensor Box to see the Gyroscope Sensor, the box displayed doesn't rotate exactly with the motion of the phone. I'll flash back to another ROM and try the app there again. I tried flashing back to EL29 stock rooted to calibrate the gyroscope, but I don't think it helped... Is there a better app for looking at this?

Does anyone know where the gyroscope is physically located inside the unit? Maybe mine is defective, and I can just replace it?
10th January 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 28,573

15,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
The only way to tell if it is a hardware issue is to Odin back to a stock ROM, or at the very least flash a TouchWiz ROM and see if the problem persists

Last edited by bilgerryan; 10th January 2014 at 08:57 PM.
10th January 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #5  

4 posts
You did everything right..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrunch

Thanks for the reply. Here's basically what I did: Flashed CM10.2 nightly, booted the phone, rebooted to recover, wiped everything in mounts and davlik, Flashed CM11, gapps-kk-11192013, booted the phone, turned on ART, rebooted to recovery, flashed Linux Guy's Camera Fix, cleared cache and davlik, and rebooted the phone.

Had problems with Google Text to Voice force closing constantly, so I used Root Explorer to delete the apk, then re-installed it from the Play Store. I still get some random screen touches from the system, or the 3g will stop completely (fix by turning airplane mode on and off), or the panel buttons will be unresponsive (fixed by turning the screen on and off). Weird.

Now, when I use Android Sensor Box to see the Gyroscope Sensor, the box displayed doesn't rotate exactly with the motion of the phone. I'll flash back to another ROM and try the app there again. I tried flashing back to EL29 stock rooted to calibrate the gyroscope, but I don't think it helped... Is there a better app for looking at this?

Does anyone know where the gyroscope is physically located inside the unit? Maybe mine is defective, and I can just replace it?

I dont think this is a hardware problem if what you stated was true (When I flashed back to a 4.1.2 ROM, "Touched by an S4" the gyroscope worked perfectly)..... the only culprit i can think of would be the "Linux Guy's camera fix" ....try flashing the ROM without it..and see how it goes
12th January 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOz

I dont think this is a hardware problem if what you stated was true (When I flashed back to a 4.1.2 ROM, "Touched by an S4" the gyroscope worked perfectly)..... the only culprit i can think of would be the "Linux Guy's camera fix" ....try flashing the ROM without it..and see how it goes

You're right, it's not a hardware problem.. I'm no expert, but the orientation sensor is not set up correctly. It only works with the phone is screen facing down! Haha Also I discovered that Google Glass cannot take phone calls with either KitKat ROM, but it works in JB. What's really strange is that my car and jawbone both have no problem with bluetooth phone calls.

I tried clearing everything and flashed Mokee's KitKat 4.4.2 and the current gapps, and I still had the same issues. I tried a couple of different sensor testing apps, and it's actually the orientation that is the most messed up. The gyroscope seems to mix up the X and Y axis on a few of the tests, but not all. Of course, back in JB the sensors are all functioning just fine.

For now I'm going back to a JB TouchWiz ROM... Bummed because I really like the way KitKat works, so unbelievably smooth and low memory use.
12th January 2014, 12:35 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN

15,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
Try calibrating the Gyro while you're on TouchWiz and then flash KK again. That's the only other thing I can think of. It's in Settings/Motion/Sensitivity Settings/Calibrate Gyro.

12th January 2014, 01:28 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN

15,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
Also maybe try this-http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2405849

13th January 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

10 posts
More
Convinced these are bugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan

Try calibrating the Gyro while you're on TouchWiz and then flash KK again. That's the only other thing I can think of. It's in Settings/Motion/Sensitivity Settings/Calibrate Gyro.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried going back to TW calibrating it, and returning to KitKat as I explained above.

BUT Calibration can't correct the X and Y axis. The KitKat ROMS (VILLUMINATI and Mokee) are both switching the axis, so motion is behaving unexpectedly. If I tilt the phone back and forth the software interprets that as tilting right and left, and when I tilt it right and left the phone thinks it's tilting back and forth. This is probably why I couldn't get Photosphere to function correctly, even though I could get it to load.

Perhaps this will get fixed in a future release..
Last edited by MrKrunch; 13th January 2014 at 07:35 AM.
13th January 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #10  
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 73

104 posts
More
I'm having the exact same problem in VILLUMINATTI , I noticed it when I tried to use sky maps. It's Definitely a KitKat issue with our phones.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread