OTG cable what works and doesn't work

OP cesar33

16th October 2013, 05:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39

102 posts
Donate to Me
More
I purchased some cheap OTG cables a while back off Amazon and don't remember them ever working on my Bionic, Thunderbolt, DroidX, LG Revo, Sero 7 Pro, or Nook Color. I plugged a USB stick into it and it worked great on my G2. Even found a way to record the HD 1080 60fps video directly to USB stick via OTG. Also mouse via hub and memory stick all worked together. No go for USB LAN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OTG G2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	2328051

I posted what I've gotten to work and what didn't work on my blog. I'd appreciate some feedback and let me know if you what you've gotten to work with OTG.

tabletuser.blogspot.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cesar33 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2013, 06:36 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

25 posts
Rohde and Schwarz NRP-Z21 and Z24 power sensors work (when used with an NRP-Z4 USB adaptor cable). Not a very common thing but it sure is convenient if you do need it.
16th October 2013, 12:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar33

I purchased some cheap OTG cables a while back off Amazon and don't remember them ever working on my Bionic, Thunderbolt, DroidX, LG Revo, Sero 7 Pro, or Nook Color. I plugged a USB stick into it and it worked great on my G2. Even found a way to record the HD 1080 60fps video directly to USB stick via OTG. Also mouse via hub and memory stick all worked together. No go for USB LAN.
I posted what I've gotten to work and what didn't work on my blog. I'd appreciate some feedback and let me know if you what you've gotten to work with OTG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think OTG works without USB host mode on the device. Special kernels were always required on the earlier devices to get anything connected via USB and not to a computer to transfer data. From what I've read, the G2 has USB host mode enabled, so all sorts of stuff should plug right in and work. USB LAN might work with kernel tweaks, but that is beyond my somewhat basic knowledge.

There is a great mini micro SD card reader on another thread that would skip the use of OTG cables for simple storage expansion, and has a USB pass-through for plugging in a stick rather than a card. I believe the cost was around $12. That is a fancy set-up you have there, but seems spendy in comparison.
3rd April 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisisTP

There is a great mini micro SD card reader on another thread that would skip the use of OTG cables for simple storage expansion, and has a USB pass-through for plugging in a stick rather than a card. I believe the cost was around $12. That is a fancy set-up you have there, but seems spendy in comparison.

Do you happen to have a link to the thread or the mini micro SD card reader?
3rd April 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #5  
Flag Chicago,IL
Thanks Meter: 50

228 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler510

Do you happen to have a link to the thread or the mini micro SD card reader?

It's called the meenova mini SD card reader. Here's a link http://www.meenova.com/ hope everyone likes it

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaaqoti For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
external usb, lg g2, otg
Previous Thread Next Thread