any completely stable finished roms available?

Search This thread

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
hi, just wondering if there are any roms available that are completely stable and finished for this phone?
if not, (as i have not found any), is the original stock rom (rojers) available to download anymore?
thanks guys..

lasuazo

Aug 10, 2013
hi, just wondering if there are any roms available that are completely stable and finished for this phone?
if not, (as i have not found any), is the original stock rom (rojers) available to download anymore?
thanks guys..

After reading a lot, I believe I can confirm that only GB, and stock ICS are stable, as with no issues, some little glitches but no deal breakers. As for Rogers, there's only Osimod GB ROM based of Rogers. The rest are based of UCLJ3

I guess omni and cm11

thanks guys..

I may be off base here but I guess the [4.4] cyanogenmod 11 and omni ROM are pretty much stable ...
Though the pretty much is still a while away from complete the following are the general bugs with bubor's amazing Roms:

There is an audio bug when making VoIP calls which gives audio latency ..
There is fixed camera rotation which means all the pictures are in landscape
There is no Wi-Fi direct
Google experience launcher is not that Good looking (I know I am complaining)
Google maps 7 has issues but can be dual loaded with maps 6 so they work
Backlight,PPI, lag all have fixes :) though
Battery drain is a bit more

But as far as performance goes... They are pretty smooth..
So I guess make your choice

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
I may be off base here but I guess the [4.4] cyanogenmod 11 and omni ROM are pretty much stable ...
Though the pretty much is still a while away from complete the following are the general bugs with bubor's amazing Roms:

There is an audio bug when making VoIP calls which gives audio latency ..
There is fixed camera rotation which means all the pictures are in landscape
There is no Wi-Fi direct
Google experience launcher is not that Good looking (I know I am complaining)
Google maps 7 has issues but can be dual loaded with maps 6 so they work
Backlight,PPI, lag all have fixes :) though
Battery drain is a bit more

But as far as performance goes... They are pretty smooth..
So I guess make your choice

i wish i could agree with you.. im running kitkat crdroid, and like every rom i have flashed over the years, has plenty of bugs that make it very annoying as a daily rom. phone switching off twice a day, icons/widgets dissapearing after rebooting, becomes laggy after a week or so of usig the rom, laggy browsing on all browsers, trebucket crashing regurly etc etc, thats on top of the bugs you list.. the only roms that are stable are completely finished official cm or miui roms (which there are none for this fone..). the stock rom is the only one that has not given me trouble. with the greatest respect to those that put their time i to make these roms, im sure people who flash them make them out to be more stable than they really are unfortunatelly.

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
Maybe we have developer aura or something like that? I'm sure I just used 4.4 PAC ROM for a week without reboot or any crashes. Bluetooth, fixed camera rotation and VoIP - yes, these are issues we can't fix, the same is with google maps v.7 (we just have no hardware NEON support that uses v.7 of maps). There is also issue with wi-fi: if you turn it off, it sometimes don't turns on until reboot. As for myself, I just never turn it off. :)
Besides of these issues, everything is smooth and stable. Really is. But I got sometimes trebuchet crashes - this was a time when I flashed dirty and didn't make a factory reset - the new trebuchet version sometimes conflicts with the data from old version. I just went to Settings - Apps, found Trebuchet (or Launcher3 if old version) and tapped Erase Data. And the issue was gone! But I recommend to always make a factory reset with new ROM. That's really important.
And even if you have those constant trebuchet bugs whatever you do (icons disappearing is also a trebuchet bug, I never encountered it though), just install a different launcher. Google now launcher is the basic, and is like trebuchet in many ways, miui one is also good, and others, they are many!

Last edited:

linuxguy42

Apr 5, 2014
I had problems with some icons disappearing when the system reboots. I found that the icons that disappeared were for applications which were installed on the SD card. When I moved them to the system, they stopped disappearing.

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
Maybe we have developer aura or something like that? I'm sure I just used 4.4 PAC ROM for a week without reboot or any crashes. Bluetooth, fixed camera rotation and VoIP - yes, these are issues we can't fix, the same is with google maps v.7 (we just have no hardware NEON support that uses v.7 of maps). There is also issue with wi-fi: if you turn it off, it sometimes don't turns on until reboot. As for myself, I just never turn it off. :)
Besides of these issues, everything is smooth and stable. Really is. But I got sometimes trebuchet crashes - this was a time when I flashed dirty and didn't make a factory reset - the new trebuchet version sometimes conflicts with the data from old version. I just went to Settings - Apps, found Trebuchet (or Launcher3 if old version) and tapped Erase Data. And the issue was gone! But I recommend to always make a factory reset with new ROM. That's really important.
And even if you have those constant trebuchet bugs whatever you do (icons disappearing is also a trebuchet bug, I never encountered it though), just install a different launcher. Google now launcher is the basic, and is like trebuchet in many ways, miui one is also good, and others, they are many!

like i said in my first post, i do really appriciate the fact that people spend Alot of time cooking theese roms, and it easy for me to come along and moan about them, but i have found over the years that after using a custom rom for a couple of weeks or so, its like the ram seems to gradually get eaten away, the device gradually slows down, becomes laggy and ultimately unuseable (not just this fone, and not just me that says this). im not saying all are like this, just many i have used, mainly because they never get finished.
i am very open though to people suggesting that i am doing something wrong, and maybe you have picked up on that something.. you say you do a factory reset, can i ask, do you mean a factory reset in the fone settings, or are you referring to a full wipe using cwm/twrp? as when i flash, i wipe everything accept what i dont want wiped on the external sd.. i dont factory reset, is this after you have flashed the new rom? or before you flash a new rom?
also thank you for the erase data tip for trebucket, i will try that.. i have not used the google now launcher yet, but i tried using miui launcher but when i went back to trebucket the lockscreen stayed as the miui lockscreen, which has happened on past cm roms, so i just deleted it.
just gets a bit frustrating when you spend hours getting everything working/setting up personalisation, then the phone just seems to start getting worse day by day, but maybe like you say, its cos i "dirty flashed"?

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
I had problems with some icons disappearing when the system reboots. I found that the icons that disappeared were for applications which were installed on the SD card. When I moved them to the system, they stopped disappearing.

i did think that, and im sure you are right, but i have had every app/folder/widget dissappear twice now, then, randomly over several restarts, some widgets/apps will replace themselves over the top of the new ones i have just newly placed there.. strange, but i have came across this before on cm roms, so im sure there is a bug there somewhere, even if it is not too common..

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
you say you do a factory reset, can i ask, do you mean a factory reset in the fone settings, or are you referring to a full wipe using cwm/twrp? as when i flash, i wipe everything accept what i dont want wiped on the external sd.. i dont factory reset, is this after you have flashed the new rom? or before you flash a new rom?
Yes, what you do should suffice. I meant cwm/twrp wipe (boot, system, data, cache, android.secure). SD card is not touched. So you are doing fine with that, but anyway, there has to be something make those issues... Can you look at /system/addon.d folder? There is stored info about files that will be preserved even if you install a new ROM with a wipe. If there are many leftovers from ROMs or programs you tried earlier, then you should try to manually clear this folder before new ROM install.

the device gradually slows down, becomes laggy and ultimately unuseable
That was the point with pre-4.2 ROMs, and even with 4.2 there was a bug with gallery thumbnails which made it to eat gigabyte and more of storage after some time. That was fixed in CM 10.1.3. Also a Lite-Kernel used by earlier ROMs is very great, but has its issues, for example, systemui crashes when camera launch after some phone use and sleep of death.
I used CM 10.1.3 for a a three months and still keeping a backup of it for a some case. There was no slowing or lagging, it was almost perfect (if you don't use VoIP or BT handset) even after those months of use. Strangely, but I didn't have even "settings -> about crash" issue bubor listed!

Welll here are some tip which have helped me

i wish i could agree with you.. im running kitkat crdroid, and like every rom i have flashed over the years, has plenty of bugs that make it very annoying as a daily rom. phone switching off twice a day, icons/widgets dissapearing after rebooting, becomes laggy after a week or so of usig the rom, laggy browsing on all browsers, trebucket crashing regurly etc etc, thats on top of the bugs you list.. the only roms that are stable are completely finished official cm or miui roms (which there are none for this fone..). the stock rom is the only one that has not given me trouble. with the greatest respect to those that put their time i to make these roms, im sure people who flash them make them out to be more stable than they really are unfortunatelly.

i .. umm.. well i agree that as of now they have issues but they will get better .. ours is an old device... so i guess we should tread slowly . which is exactly what the developers are doing .. .
and i agree on the ram hungry part but there are ways for that too . .
funny i have been messaging people to help me post this stuff through them . . but well thats the prob with being a junior member .
My personal tested suggestions for omni rom which have really incremented to the performace some of which are :
- using one of the lightest launchers as i find trebuchet and even google launcher RAM hungry is 'Lightning Launcher' the bloody app itself is in BYTES!!
-also i use link2sd with ext4 that helps in storage and also use sd maid for regular clean up.
-also i have been testing memory swapping using linux swap partition on sd card (class 10 ) and yeah i know it degrades sd card but oh well like Glados testing testing testing
-i have also switch off startup at boot for certain apps

and i apologize for posting what maybe well known tricks or improvs but i really dont know where else to post these (still have the ten post ban from posting :) )
and if these dont help then sorry to waste your time . .

PS anyone think an F2FS file system like for the nexus7 would\might help ?

tl;dr use the given tips maybe they might help . . and with custom roms i guess you have to spend time to keep them running well .

Reactions: Makshow

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
Yes, what you do should suffice. I meant cwm/twrp wipe (boot, system, data, cache, android.secure). SD card is not touched. So you are doing fine with that, but anyway, there has to be something make those issues... Can you look at /system/addon.d folder? There is stored info about files that will be preserved even if you install a new ROM with a wipe. If there are many leftovers from ROMs or programs you tried earlier, then you should try to manually clear this folder before new ROM install.

That was the point with pre-4.2 ROMs, and even with 4.2 there was a bug with gallery thumbnails which made it to eat gigabyte and more of storage after some time. That was fixed in CM 10.1.3. Also a Lite-Kernel used by earlier ROMs is very great, but has its issues, for example, systemui crashes when camera launch after some phone use and sleep of death.
I used CM 10.1.3 for a a three months and still keeping a backup of it for a some case. There was no slowing or lagging, it was almost perfect (if you don't use VoIP or BT handset) even after those months of use. Strangely, but I didn't have even "settings -> about crash" issue bubor listed!

ok thanks, i cleared the data in trebucket, and started again with placing apps/widgets on home screen, and i also have deleted the hacked version of adobe flash that you install with dolphin browser, and, supprisingly after a couple of days of testing, my apps/widgets are not deleting themselves, the phone is significantly less laggy, and i have had no switch offs, so, im very pleased with that! so id suggest against downloading that version of flash player with this rom..

i .. umm.. well i agree that as of now they have issues but they will get better .. ours is an old device... so i guess we should tread slowly . which is exactly what the developers are doing .. .
funny i have been messaging people to help me post this stuff through them . . but well thats the prob with being a junior member .
My personal tested suggestions for omni rom which have really incremented to the performace some of which are :
- using one of the lightest launchers as i find trebuchet and even google launcher RAM hungry is 'Lightning Launcher' the bloody app itself is in BYTES!!
-also i use link2sd with ext4 that helps in storage and also use sd maid for regular clean up.
-also i have been testing memory swapping using linux swap partition on sd card (class 10 ) and yeah i know it degrades sd card but oh well like Glados testing testing testing

and i apologize for posting what maybe well known tricks or improvs but i really dont know where else to post these (still have the ten post ban from posting :) )

tl;dr use the given tips maybe they might help . . and with custom roms i guess you have to spend time to keep them running well .

some good tips there, thankyou, i havent tried any of them yet, but i will have a go at some of them and see what happens.. thanks thfusor..

etherfish

Aug 22, 2012
thanks guys..

For what it's worth, I recently had to reflash and decided to use dman325's stock UCLJ3. (He has two versions, stock and one with the aosp lockscreen. If you decide to use either, use the stock one. dman325 had to resign the aosp one with a test signing key that, recently, got invalidated or declined and it prevents Google Play from updating past 3.7.15 and Google Play Services wont install at all because of a shared_uid fault due to certificate conflict, etc.)

I got frustrated with the amount of bloat in an otherwise vendor fun-packed rom, so I went in and hacked out lots of crap. Largely relying on either "what is safe to get rid of" lists for similar samsung phones and my own poking around/guestimation using dex2jar and jd-gui. I really, honestly don't understand what InputEventApp.apk was meant to do. Seriously. But, getting rid of it reduced the logcat spam tremendously. Also, the wsslcm* apks are somewhat frightening in appearance.

I've gone a few steps further, I modified android.policy.jar smali to prevent the emergency dial option from showing up on the lock screen - I accidentally pocket dialed 911 a year ago and am not about to do that again. I also modified the kernel ramdisk image to set ro.debuggable=1 and ro.secure=0. I tried, while I was at it, to replace /dev/random with /dev/urandom, but I'll have to do some experimenting.

I've added a few static binaries for proper gnu utilities. bash, ls, grep, sort, du, etc. It surprises me that a functional shell environment doesn't get more attention on phones with keyboards.

So, that's my $0.02. Try the stock UCLJ3 and fiddle with it a bit. Good luck.

jmpcrx

Feb 5, 2009
diss
For what it's worth, I recently had to reflash and decided to use dman325's stock UCLJ3. (He has two versions, stock and one with the aosp lockscreen. If you decide to use either, use the stock one. dman325 had to resign the aosp one with a test signing key that, recently, got invalidated or declined and it prevents Google Play from updating past 3.7.15 and Google Play Services wont install at all because of a shared_uid fault due to certificate conflict, etc.)

I got frustrated with the amount of bloat in an otherwise vendor fun-packed rom, so I went in and hacked out lots of crap. Largely relying on either "what is safe to get rid of" lists for similar samsung phones and my own poking around/guestimation using dex2jar and jd-gui. I really, honestly don't understand what InputEventApp.apk was meant to do. Seriously. But, getting rid of it reduced the logcat spam tremendously. Also, the wsslcm* apks are somewhat frightening in appearance.

I've gone a few steps further, I modified android.policy.jar smali to prevent the emergency dial option from showing up on the lock screen - I accidentally pocket dialed 911 a year ago and am not about to do that again. I also modified the kernel ramdisk image to set ro.debuggable=1 and ro.secure=0. I tried, while I was at it, to replace /dev/random with /dev/urandom, but I'll have to do some experimenting.

I've added a few static binaries for proper gnu utilities. bash, ls, grep, sort, du, etc. It surprises me that a functional shell environment doesn't get more attention on phones with keyboards.

thanks etherfish, if i continue to have probs i may well do that, i was thinking about going back to stock. dont think i have the confidence to fiddle like you have though as im more of a windows man than linux, but thanks for the great advice ;)

etherfish

Aug 22, 2012
thanks etherfish, if i continue to have probs i may well do that, i was thinking about going back to stock. dont think i have the confidence to fiddle like you have though as im more of a windows man than linux, but thanks for the great advice ;)

Well, you learn by doing, I believe. Also, I have a classy - for a flip phone - Motorola Razr2 v8 kicking around I can always put my SIM into if I've managed to hose my captivate glide. Also, I'm replying because I can't post in the rom development forum until I have 10 posts. Hurray for well founded, but nonetheless arbitrary restrictions. So, a number of things have piqued my curiosity.

So, first of all, this surprised me in the logs:

Code:
I/Launcher( 2263): onCreate():  product model family:U1 product model : GT-I9221
I'd always wondered why I had an SGH-I927 when other phones, like the remarkably similar Galaxy R, are GT-I9103. Is/was GT-I9221 an internal reference?

Also, there are other inconsistencies, for example:
Code:
D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]> REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS
D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]< REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: REQUEST_NOT_SUPPORTED

If you jump into the debug/field test menu system, (dial *#*#197328640#*#* ) you can bring up the list of neighboring cells in both GSM and WCDMA modes... So, why is the request marked not supported? Furthermore, why didn't samsung disable the request in the first place if they went to the trouble of disabling it from working. I imagine this has a reason, but I doubt it's a terribly great one.

And the FM receiver? I do believe our broadcom BCM4329 is a bluetooth+wifi_in_an_sdcard (well, SDIO really, but still, not pci-e and not usb.) and has an FM receiver built in, but it's omitted and hidden?
Code:
W/AudioPolicyManager(  112): FM radio recording off

Oh, the conspiracy theories. And then there's the weird lines you discover if you dump the string identifiers from /system/bin/drexe!

For example, these lines are all sequential:

Code:
broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE android_secret_code://767*3855
InvokeOemRequestHookRaw broadcast factorst OK
InvokeOemRequestHookRaw factorst fail %d
/system/.configure.txt

(what's with /system/.configure.txt???)

Do not type 767*3855 into your phone. It's the factory wipe code or possibly part of it. I do believe drexe is the DataRouter you often see spamming the logs with:

Code:
E/DataRouter(  107): usb connection is true 
E/DataRouter(  107): DSR is ON. Don't send DTR ON.

And we find these strings in drexe:

Code:
__initialize_usb_ipc
/data/.usb_stream
usb connection is true 
InvokeOemRequestHookRaw usbstatus true is success

oh, and:

Code:
pipe failed (%s)
fork failed (%s)
child pid = %d.
execute sh.
system/bin/sh
execl fail %d

What do you think? Why does drexe seem to have code to support and start a shell? Well, if nothing else, thank you for reading.

P.S. I don't suspect anything the least bit conspiracy like, malicious, or devious. I've worked for some huge companies; i don't think it'd be likely.

Reactions: GrammarNazi

Makshow

Jun 10, 2013
Kharkov
Also, I'm replying because I can't post in the rom development forum until I have 10 posts. Hurray for well founded, but nonetheless arbitrary restrictions.
Technically, you can post in cappy dev forums started from 3 posts. I saw someone posting there his fourth post.
As for other things you listed... Well, I'll be glad to have an FM receiver in our glide. :) But I really think that reason for all this staff can be as simply as hands growing from wrong place or restricted development time...

Pawprints1986

Mar 26, 2014
Technically, you can post in cappy dev forums started from 3 posts. I saw someone posting there his fourth post.
As for other things you listed... Well, I'll be glad to have an FM receiver in our glide. :) But I really think that reason for all this staff can be as simply as hands growing from wrong place or restricted development time...

I recently, after some research, also installed dans stock (i decided to go complete stock since i didnt know what the lock screen thing meant).

I havent had any trouble with being outdated. Only thing i noticed (unless im doing it wrong, im new to this phone) was that screencaps dont work. its power button and volume down, right?

Other things id like to customize are data being in the top drawer instead of bluetooth (since i never use it), and id like to be able to see who texted me on the lock screen, but while still using the stock messaging app, and without an app having to constantly run.

Other than those couple of things its been great!

im HOPING down the road for an un-buggy or at least minimally buggy version of 4.4. well see what happens with that i guess.

Some help

I recently, after some research, also installed dans stock (i decided to go complete stock since i didnt know what the lock screen thing meant).

I havent had any trouble with being outdated. Only thing i noticed (unless im doing it wrong, im new to this phone) was that screencaps dont work. its power button and volume down, right?

Other things id like to customize are data being in the top drawer instead of bluetooth (since i never use it), and id like to be able to see who texted me on the lock screen, but while still using the stock messaging app, and without an app having to constantly run.

well i always say stock is best cause it IS optimized however there are things like keep and total Google integration that i like so i updated to kit kat
for screen caps if they dont work i could maybe suggest an application called super manager its pretty loaded it has screen cap and may even give you prox sense wake up for device.
also customizing the drawer hmm.. i guess you could try xposed framework but please be careful and make a backup before

as for who texts you and the content of the text you could try dash clock its able to do a lot :D

lasuazo

Aug 10, 2013
hello guys I was just wondering if I could get some help since I returned back to fully Ice Cream Sandwich Stock. I completely removed all the system bloat with link2sd, uninstalled all att crap. Can anyone recommend me something since I feel the ram consuption still to high... battery so far is doing kind of good almost as in crdroid
But i believe it can be improved. Any recommended settings or something else i can do? Already tried lite kernel but it gave me some issues. Rather keep stock. Any recommendations please guys. Also if you know a "ok google" like app or something as a swifty assistant would be nice. Please recommend. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
thanks guys..

Hi,

well that depends.. on what you mean with "finished" ;)

I have tested all (3 months ago) available ROMs for the Glide. IMO the best available ROM is PACman but as said it depends. I used pac_i927-milestone.1.RC1.4.zip for a long time (months) without having any issues besides Bluetooth Headset which is a general problem in JB and higher version). I have tried other PACMan ROM versions as well but the above one was the best of stability and battery life (in my case).

So it depends what features you really need or are a must-have for you. If you do not have bluetooth headsets I would recommend the above otherwise .. well I would recommend sediROM ;)

Regards
xdajog

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

hello guys I was just wondering if I could get some help since I returned back to fully Ice Cream Sandwich Stock.

Haven't done that before but would be rooted ICS stock also ok for you?

If so:
--> search for thread ID 1994902 or search for: [ROM] Stock UCLJ3 Rooted, Deodexed, Zipaligned
(sorry not allowed to post links..)

Regards
xdajog

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks guys..

Welll here are some tip which have helped me

Well, you learn by doing, I believe. Also, I have a classy - for a flip phone - Motorola Razr2 v8 kicking around I can always put my SIM into if I've managed to hose my captivate glide. Also, I'm replying because I can't post in the rom development forum until I have 10 posts. Hurray for well founded, but nonetheless arbitrary restrictions. So, a number of things have piqued my curiosity.

So, first of all, this surprised me in the logs:

Code:
    I/Launcher( 2263): onCreate():  product model family:U1 product model : GT-I9221
    I'd always wondered why I had an SGH-I927 when other phones, like the remarkably similar Galaxy R, are GT-I9103. Is/was GT-I9221 an internal reference?

Also, there are other inconsistencies, for example:
    Code:
    D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]> REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS
    D/RILJ    (  426): [1718]< REQUEST_GET_NEIGHBORING_CELL_IDS error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: REQUEST_NOT_SUPPORTED

If you jump into the debug/field test menu system, (dial *#*#197328640#*#* ) you can bring up the list of neighboring cells in both GSM and WCDMA modes... So, why is the request marked not supported? Furthermore, why didn't samsung disable the request in the first place if they went to the trouble of disabling it from working. I imagine this has a reason, but I doubt it's a terribly great one.

And the FM receiver? I do believe our broadcom BCM4329 is a bluetooth+wifi_in_an_sdcard (well, SDIO really, but still, not pci-e and not usb.) and has an FM receiver built in, but it's omitted and hidden?
    Code:
    W/AudioPolicyManager(  112): FM radio recording off

Oh, the conspiracy theories. And then there's the weird lines you discover if you dump the string identifiers from /system/bin/drexe!

For example, these lines are all sequential:

Code:
    broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE android_secret_code://767*3855
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw broadcast factorst OK
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw factorst fail %d
    /system/.configure.txt

(what's with /system/.configure.txt???)

Do not type 767*3855 into your phone. It's the factory wipe code or possibly part of it. I do believe drexe is the DataRouter you often see spamming the logs with:

Code:
    E/DataRouter(  107): usb connection is true 
    E/DataRouter(  107): DSR is ON. Don't send DTR ON.

And we find these strings in drexe:

Code:
    __initialize_usb_ipc
    /data/.usb_stream
    usb connection is true 
    InvokeOemRequestHookRaw usbstatus true is success

oh, and:

Code:
    pipe failed (%s)
    fork failed (%s)
    child pid = %d.
    execute sh.
    system/bin/sh
    execl fail %d

What do you think? Why does drexe seem to have code to support and start a shell? Well, if nothing else, thank you for reading.

P.S. I don't suspect anything the least bit conspiracy like, malicious, or devious. I've worked for some huge companies; i don't think it'd be likely.