Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 51,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][APPS WORKING] Gear Fit on Non-Samsung Devices

Tip us?

aooga
Old
(Last edited by aooga; 14th July 2014 at 06:06 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 837
Instructions:

1. Buy a Gear Fit
  2. Connect the Gear Fit to your computer.
  3. Download KIES and install it.
  4. Follow the prompts to update the Gear Fit.
  5. Link: http://www.samsung.com/levant/suppor...tware/KIES/JSP
  6. Install the first APK from the downloads below.
  7. Open the app you just installed.
  8. Go through the setup again on your device.
  9. Install the second APK below (not mandatory).
  10. You're done!
  11. If you have a Samsung device running a custom ROM, read the third section below.

Get Fit Apps Working (Optional):

THIS PART REQUIRES ROOT AND EDITING SYSTEM FILES. IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS, SKIP THIS PART.!
  • Open your build.prop with a text editor.
  • Edit the following values:
    • ro.product.model=GT-I9505
    • ro.product.brand=samsung
    • ro.product.name=SM-900S
    • ro.product.device=SM-900S
  • Reboot and now apps like Gear Calendar, Quick settings, Strava...etc. should work.

Samsung Devices With Custom ROMs:

THIS PART REQUIRES ROOT AND EDITING SYSTEM FILES. IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS, SKIP THIS PART.!
  • Open your build.prop in any text editor. Root Explorer works well, or whatever you're used to using.
  • Change the "Samsung" in "ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung" to anything else. HTC, LG, asdf, anything is fine.
  • This stops the force closing. You're done!

Workaround for Auto-Connecting Bluetooth:

Phones confirmed working:

• HTC One M8
  • HTC One M7
  • HTC One Max
  • HTC One X
  • Huawei Ascend P6
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 7
  • Xperia Z Ultra
  • Xperia SP
  • Xperia Z1
  • Xperia Z
  • Xperia Z1s
  • Xperia Z2
  • Moto X
  • LG G Flex
  • LG G2
  • LG Optimus G Pro
  • Xiaomi MI3

Downloads:

What works:

• Notifications
  • Clocks
  • Find my Device
  • Heart Rate
  • Reject Calls
  • Media Controls
  • Watchface customizer
  • Gear Fit Apps

What doesn't work:

• Weather
  • Quick reply SMS (works on the latest firmware).
  • Anything that uses a Samsung Account
  • Syncing fitness stats to phone
  • Custom Wallpapers
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PhilPan
Old
(Last edited by Naddict; 18th April 2014 at 05:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Force closes on me after installation of Gear Fit Manager. Running Note 3 with Aosp ROM.

Sent from my hlte using xda app-developers app

aooga
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilPan View Post
Force closes on me after installation of Gear Fit Manager. Running Note 3 with Aosp ROM.

Sent from my hlte using xda app-developers app
I didn't make the APK, I just took it from the S5, so it should work. Maybe it doesn't work on AOSP roms. The only phones I confirmed it working on are the ones in the OP.

Can you edit your post to not quote the entire OP?

EDIT: On the M7.

Baka no Kami
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I was able to do the update on a Nexus 5 with an older version of the manager and then upgrading. Using 1.25 it paired then tried to start the update. The update only went about 4 percent before stopping. I stopped the manager on the Nexus, but this left the Fit in update mode. Installed 1.49 and tried to pair it again. It went through the update fine and the Fit rebooted. After that the Nexus immediately paired with it.

The only trouble I've been having is with the fitness app. It doesn't seem to actually pull any info from the Fit. When I go in to the settings and try to look at my profile it crashes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baka no Kami For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twin snakes
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Xperia Z ultra work great, almost all of its feature, execept weather thing

PhilPan
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin snakes View Post
Xperia Z ultra work great, almost all of its feature, execept weather thing
If anyone gets its working on an Aosp ROM or CM11 ROM, please post what you did, as mine just kept force closing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

rEVOLVE
Old
(Last edited by rEVOLVE; 16th April 2014 at 07:01 PM.) Reason: changed mind - Fit missing features!
Thanks Meter 60
Any idea if this will work w/ Moto devices? I have a Note 3 I can do the prelim on and then I want to get a Fit for my wife's Droid Maxx. I also have a Gear 2 Neo I can test w/ it, but as I understand they're different OS so maybe not a good test to see if Fit works without actually having one. If anyone else can try I'd appreciate it.

Edit: NVM, I had forgotten the Fit doesn't have the mic and speaker. WHHHHHYYYYYY Samsung??!?!!! It would have been the first smartwatch suitable for females who don't want the big bulky bezel, except you gimp it by not giving it the handy feature my wife was actually interested in. The other ones are too big. Heck I would have gone w/ a Fit myself if it had it as I'm still on the fence on keeping my Neo.

aooga
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEVOLVE View Post
Any idea if this will work w/ Moto devices? I have a Note 3 I can do the prelim on and then I want to get a Fit for my wife's Droid Maxx. I also have a Gear 2 Neo I can test w/ it, but as I understand they're different OS so maybe not a good test to see if Fit works without actually having one. If anyone else can try I'd appreciate it.

Edit: NVM, I had forgotten the Fit doesn't have the mic and speaker. WHHHHHYYYYYY Samsung??!?!!! It would have been the first smartwatch suitable for females who don't want the big bulky bezel, except you gimp it by not giving it the handy feature my wife was actually interested in. The other ones are too big. Heck I would have gone w/ a Fit myself if it had it as I'm still on the fence on keeping my Neo.
It should work since Moto phones are pretty close to stock. Yeah the Gear 2 is too big.

AstroDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Hope this thread does not get lost.
I would like the freedom of buying a non-Samsung device.
The Following User Says Thank You to AstroDigital For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PhilPan
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
I been trying with no luck to get the Fit working on CM. Everytime I install and open it just force closes. Gear 2 manager at least opens, but not fit manger.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app