Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 54,018 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do you backup your game progress in Android?

Tip us?

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Default How do you backup your game progress in Android?

I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

It's something I miss from iTunes, which easily backups all your apps data.

I tried Helium Premium and didn't worked with the game Asphalt 8. I tried copying my progress from my Nexus 10 to my new Nexus 7. Didn't work.

How do you guys backup your games?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 274

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

I tried Helium Premium and didn't worked with the game Asphalt 8. I tried copying my progress from my Nexus 10 to my new Nexus 7. Didn't work.

Thanks.
Have you tried Titanium Backup? Do a backup with data of the game and it should be restorable later. If you're transferring between devices, then you might need to adb pull the backup files and adb push them into the correct folder on the new device.

Actually, if you do use Titanium Backup, you could also just hook your Nexus 10 up to the computer and use Windows Explorer to browse into the TitaniumBackup folder to copy them onto your computer using the GUI, since it's in /sdcard/. Do the same thing to copy them from your computer onto the new device and restore them. You'll have to figure out which files are the ones you need for that game. If you want to avoid any confusion, only backup the game and no other apps in Titanium Backup, then all the files in that folder all pertain to that game. There should around 3 files, and more-or-less have names that are similar to whatever app you need.

For the record: I don't really play games on my tablet or phone. The steps above are all just what I think should work. I actually bought Asphalt 8 and have two devices (Nexus 4 and Nexus 7) that I would want to sync my saves between if I really got into it and I would use the above method if I really wanted to sync them. One thing to note: it probably won't be very wieldy if you are wanting to continually transfer save files between the two devices (to continue progress on the other device, then back on the other one). It'll get old having to do that often.

thor6577
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Quote:

Thanks.

Actually, Asphalt 8 has cloud capabilities. You just need to go to settings on your Nexus 10 and click Connect. Sign in with Google or Facebook and then it is saved. Then all you have to do is go to your Nexus 7 and connect your game with the same social media account that you connected your Asphalt 8 on your Nexus 10 to. It should work, I have done this when switching ROMs on my Nexus 7. ( Btw I use titanium backup and sometimes Helium too)
My Devices:
Nexus 5
Running Stock ROM

LG-P999 G2X
Retired

Samsung Galaxy S ll T989
Rooted, Running on stock ROM, stock kernel 2.3.3

Nexus 7 2013 Tablet
Rooted, Running on PA 4.0 , 4.4.2, PA Kernel

Contributions
Boot Animations
It take 5 minutes to download and flash a ROM, but it only takes a few seconds to thank me.

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Ok, I just found out something.

I deleted Asphalt 8 on my Nexus 10, which is where I had all my progress, and the installed it again. When opening the game a pop-up window appeared and told me of I wanted to restore my previous progress, located in the cloud. I said yes and it worked.

So I guess the cloud save feature only works inside each device, meaning it can't be synced to other devices, cause in my Nexus 7 it hasn't told me to restore.

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 900

DONATE TO ME
Titanium backup is good. Data Sync is another that let's you automatically sync between various devices over the network and/or save to cloud storage like Dropbox or Box.net

It can automatically find devices to sync with. It is smart enough to compare timestamps and only update newer files. You can sync "on change", on demand, or a set time, WiFi only etc. Works really well. It can also sync your devices and cloud storage at the same time.

Even with one device, it's handy just to get your backups off your device incase there is an accident.

Just install it on all your androids and launch it on one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

AarSyl
Old
Thanks Meter 705
Quote:

Thanks.

Are you rooted to begin with? I noticed that this was not mentioned. If you are not, then Titanium Backup is worthless to you.

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarsyl View Post
Are you rooted to begin with? I noticed that this was not mentioned. If you are not, then Titanium Backup is worthless to you.
Not rooted yet. But I would like to know how to backup games whether it's with root or some other way. I can root whenever I want but need to know first how to backup games.

AarSyl
Old
(Last edited by AarSyl; 13th October 2013 at 03:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 705
I don't think that you can. But I don't think that you have to delete all of your data to root, but don't quote me on that. Just make sure that you follow each step correctly. Read ahead before you so anything.

I made a mistake while I was routing, and had to wipe the internal memory. Want a big deal for me, since I only had it for one day before I tried.

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Having a hard time syncing my Asphalt 8 progress between my two devices: Nexus 7 and SGS3.

I managed to copy my progress from the Nexus to the phone and then lost everything on the Nexus. Now I can't get it to sync from the phone to the Nexus...

It always appears the screen telling me I have two accounts: local and cloud. Which one I want to keep?

It's a mess.

Anyone knows how can I just keep it synced between the two devices? What options do I need to choose on both for them to sync properly?

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I use a combination of both Titanium Backup (TB) AND Helium.

I found out for some apps, either TB failed or Helium failed. For example, I backed up "Walking Dead: Assault" with TB and although the backup was successful, restoring the app did not bring the game back to where I left off. Helium works, though. And yes.. I did select backup "data" too.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note