Post Reply
Audio

[Q] What ROM for best audio quality?

24th March 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #1  
-ix-'s Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
75 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Hi,
Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to use as a hiqh quality audio player on the run with my headphones. This was the result of some heavy research and a few posts of praise by Supercurio himself:
Quote:

On Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, #WM1811 driver uses already the optimal analog mixer configuration I'm calling "Dac Direct" in #VoodooSound. Nice!

Quote:

Yup #GalaxySIII and #GalaxyTab 2 7.0 DAC both give lower distortions levels than FIIO E17 USB DAC. Measurements just confirmed perception.

So, now that hardware seem to be top notch I don't want to mess up the software part.

1. Will flashing a non-stock ROM mess up the "Dac Direct" configuration?
2. Any recommended ROM with full focus on audio quality through headphones?
3. Or will actually any AOSP KitKat ROM be able to deliver maximum audio quality?

I don't care about effects. Just want as good audio quality through the headphone jack as possible. I will most likely install the "maximum volume mod" (found in the forum) and Viper4Android on any rom used.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks.
26th March 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #3  
lokesh.3440's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Shimla
Thanks Meter: 298
 
734 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ix-

Hi,
Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to use as a hiqh quality audio player on the run with my headphones. This was the result of some heavy research and a few posts of praise by Supercurio himself:


So, now that hardware seem to be top notch I don't want to mess up the software part.

1. Will flashing a non-stock ROM mess up the "Dac Direct" configuration?
2. Any recommended ROM with full focus on audio quality through headphones?
3. Or will actually any AOSP KitKat ROM be able to deliver maximum audio quality?

I don't care about effects. Just want as good audio quality through the headphone jack as possible. I will most likely install the "maximum volume mod" (found in the forum) and Viper4Android on any rom used.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks.

Sungsonic HD is best Stock based ROM ever which offers premium quality sound. There are basically two Kitkat based ROMs (AFAIK) named Izer HD and Dhollman ROM which have Viper4Android sound effects with great inbuilt equalizers... here you go :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2668994
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2580426
in case of Dhollman you will have to flash Viper4android sounds effects separately....but in Izer hd it comes by default......
Last edited by lokesh.3440; 26th March 2014 at 09:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lokesh.3440 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
CyanogenMod has a nice audio tuner allowing you to tune your sound to your likings.

If it is not already clear, you can also tune your headphones sound.
Last edited by CyanogenModFTW; 26th March 2014 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CyanogenModFTW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #5  
-ix-'s Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
75 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Big thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'm a bit worried though that the ROMs mentioned - well not CM, but the other two - seem to have loads of apps, mods and tweaks ported from other devices which could actually cause instability and degrade the sound. Of course, I don't really know this since I haven't tried them myself, but having flashed a lot of ROMs on other devices I've learned that this is often the case....

I am leaning towards trying two different configurations and then deciding.

Stock (rooted) + Viper4Android
CM11 + Viper4Android

Once again, thanks for your input!

EDIT:
Somehow I missed the suggestion of Dhollmen KitKat ROM above. That actually seems really interresting. I like the fact that it is compiled using Linaro, which suggest a nice attention to detail by the dev.
Last edited by -ix-; 26th March 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Dhollmen
26th March 2014, 10:16 AM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ix-

Big thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'm a bit worried though that the ROMs mentioned - well not CM, but the other two - seem to have loads of apps, mods and tweaks ported from other devices which could actually cause instability and degrade the sound. Of course, I don't really know this since I haven't tried them myself, but having flashed a lot of ROMs on other devices I've learned that this is often the case....

I am leaning towards trying two different configurations and then deciding.

Stock (rooted) + Viper4Android
CM11 + Viper4Android

Once again, thanks for your input!

If you are actually trying to install it, it'd be a nice try to tune your sound, keep the volume a bit low, and over that, try to make some mixer/equalizer tuning to make it sound quite a bit louder, while still sounding nice, without any distortions. Somewhat like Loudness Equalization.

CyanogenMod is basically full stock Android, with a few tweaks, some of them including Audio.
Speaking of loads of apps installed..
DSP Manager is included with CyanogenMod... and not much apps have been added. It's also much faster than your average Android ROM.
Last edited by CyanogenModFTW; 26th March 2014 at 10:20 AM.
26th March 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #7  
-ix-'s Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
75 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanogenModFTW

If you are actually trying to install it, it'd be a nice try to tune your sound, keep the volume a bit low, and over that, try to make some mixer/equalizer tuning to make it sound quite a bit louder, while still sounding nice, without any distortions. Somewhat like Loudness Equalization.

Yes, properly EQing my headphones is the main reason for installing Viper. I do it a lot on my computer, using a parametric EQ, and to tell the truth, I can't really enjoy music anymore without being able to finely tune my headphones....

I don't care at all for other effects as my experience is that they always degrade the sound (which is also why I steered away from the ROMs mentioned above, even if they are popular).

Strange enough though, I didn't find the volume lacking at all. To me, the headphone amp is powerful enough on stock settings.


EDIT:
I do like DSP Manager in CM (running CM10.1 and CM11 on other devices). It's a really great EQ, and pretty refined crossfeed effect. However, IMHO Viper is a little bit better for my needs.
Last edited by -ix-; 26th March 2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: DSP Manager
26th March 2014, 10:26 AM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ix-

Yes, properly EQing my headphones is the main reason for installing Viper. I do it a lot on my computer, using a parametric EQ, and to tell the truth, I can't really enjoy music anymore without being able to finely tune my headphones....

I don't care at all for other effects as my experience is that they always degrade the sound (which is also why I steered away from the ROMs mentioned above, even if they are popular).

Strange enough though, I didn't find the volume lacking at all. To me, the headphone amp is powerful enough on stock settings.

I do have a nice configuration on my p5100, I have my sound set to low, but it's great and loud sounding. I have enabled bass boosting, and made a custom Equalizer preset that boosts up the mid frequencies quite a bit.

Also, CyanogenMod is a fast and fluid, lightweight ROM which is also good for everyday uses. The tweaks make for a good ROM, so far I haven't had any problems.

You should try the settings which work best with your speakers or headphones, they are never the same and never reproduce the same frequencies.


[ EDIT DUE TO YOUR LAST EDIT ]
It was also worth to mention that I have reccomended Cyanogen because DSP Manager is really simple to use. I've found the tweaks and effects to be instant.
Last edited by CyanogenModFTW; 26th March 2014 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CyanogenModFTW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 12:21 PM   |  #9  
-ix-'s Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
75 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
I have now rooted my P3110 and installed Viper4Android. Only judging from what I hear, the "direct DAC" configuration (mentioned in the first post) does not seem to be messed up, because the audio coming out of the headphone jack still seems immaculately clear.

Using Viper I can now tweak the EQ to my heart's content. Just wish there were a few more bands....

Since I'm mostly using my P3110 for listening to music, I think I will stay stock for now. Doesn't seem all that laggy to me!
30th March 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #10  
CSP III's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 394
 
628 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
EDIT:
Somehow I missed the suggestion of Dhollmen KitKat ROM above. That actually seems really interresting. I like the fact that it is compiled using Linaro, which suggest a nice attention to detail by the dev.[/QUOTE]


By far the best. There will be no disappointment. Try it and judge for yourself

The Following User Says Thank You to CSP III For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
audio, dac, p3110, rom, wolfson
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes