Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,519 Members 38,145 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for a replacement for WhatsApp. Something with far less intrusive permissions

Tip us?

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Looking for a replacement for WhatsApp. Something with far less intrusive permissions

but also something well known, used, and won't turn out to spy on me....

Thank you.

Primokorn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,060

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oy-ster View Post
but also something well known, used, and won't turn out to spy on me....

Thank you.
KiK, WeChat, HAngouts, LINE, Viber...
Nexus 5 | Ask any questionTWRP themesDark XDAGetting started on XDA

LGE Nexus 5 | TWRP Recovery | Mahdi | Uber!!!

Quote:
Searching can take less time than waiting for an answer
The Following User Says Thank You to Primokorn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primokorn View Post
KiK, WeChat, HAngouts, LINE, Viber...
Thank you very much!
There are however some problems with those options...

Viber/Line/WeChat- What is less intrusive about them? (if anything I see even more permission demands).
Hangouts- Same problem, plus it's Google (the less information they have the better).

Kik- Now that was a somewhat promising candidate but after researching a bit I found that it secretly saves all your contact data on their servers ( http://dcurt.is/stealing-your-address-book ), a fact that make me suspect they do more surreptitious things as well.
Also, I was told that it cooperates closely with the police/inteligence agencies/other goverment institutions... so that makes me suspect them even more.

Primokorn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,060

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you very much!
There are however some problems with those options...

Viber/Line/WeChat- What is less intrusive about them? (if anything I see even more permission demands).
Hangouts- Same problem, plus it's Google (the less information they have the better).

Kik- Now that was a somewhat promising candidate but after researching a bit I found that it secretly saves all your contact data on their servers ( http://dcurt.is/stealing-your-address-book ), a fact that make me suspect they do more surreptitious things as well.
Also, I was told that it cooperates closely with the police/inteligence agencies/other goverment institutions... so that makes me suspect them even more.
It was only suggestions coz I don't use this king of apps.
Have you ever heard of XPrivacy?

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Primokorn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
It was only suggestions coz I don't use this king of apps.
Oh sure, didn't mean to make it sound like I'm complaining or anything, I'm grateful for any suggestions (which I want more of ).

Quote:
Have you ever heard of XPrivacy?
Yeah... It's a root application. Unfortunately rooting is not an option, the device must stay intact as recieved. That is why I'm looking for an app that I can trust to begin with...

Primokorn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,060

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yeah... It's a root application. Unfortunately rooting is not an option, the device must stay intact as recieved. That is why I'm looking for an app that I can trust to begin with...
Good luck ^^. I think all mainstream apps require almost the same permissions.

I have attached the permissions requested by Telegram app, the russian Whatsapp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-18-13-35-52.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2805181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-18-13-36-03.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	2805182  

Quote:

jckhng
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm not sure if telegram is good. The tech press were giving it quite a bit of coverage previously because it is meant to be secure and encrypted.

But I have not yet tried it!
The Following User Says Thank You to jckhng For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oy-ster
Old
(Last edited by oy-ster; 26th June 2014 at 06:50 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks,
Telegram is a good suggestion but I'll pass on that too, due to: a) apparently it is actually more problematic than Whatsapp security wise on some aspects (stored messages), though much better on others ( http://security.stackexchange.com/qu...elegram-secure ), and b) I still don't like some of the permissions ...

I was wondering... my searches led me to this app called Surespot ( https://www.surespot.me/ ), putatively it seems like a convenient solution and it is ostensibly open sourced... The thing is, I have no idea how to evaluate its trustworthiness. True, it requires fewer permissions, but better having an intrusive legitimate app than a privacy conscious malware :P.

At least with whatsapp I have some trust in the publisher not to cross several lines (ie. abuse his permissions) while the other program... Opensource- sure, but how many people actually bother to inspect it? And warn others? And can the code be remotley changed? (though I suppose it is a security flaw so it should be warned about)...

Anyway, thanks and would appreciate more suggestions.

BotFly
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Thanks,
Telegram is a good suggestion but I'll pass on that too, due to: a) apparently it is actually more problematic than Whatsapp security wise on some aspects (storaged messages), though much better on others ( http://security.stackexchange.com/qu...elegram-secure ), and b) I still don't like some of the permissions ...

I was wondering... my searches lead me to this app called Surespot ( https://www.surespot.me/ ), putatively it seems like a convenient solution and it is ostensibly open sourced... The thing is, I have no idea how to evaluate its trustworthiness. True, it requires fewer permissions, but better having an intrusive legitimate app than a privacy conscious malware :P.

At least with whatsapp I have some trust in the publisher not to cross several lines (ie. abuse his permissions) while the other program... Opensource- sure, but how many people actually bother to inspect it? And warn others? And can the code be remotley changed? (though I suppose it is a security flaw so it should be warned about)...

Anyway, thanks and would appreciate more suggestions.
Check out WICKR. Super slick and ultra secure.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to BotFly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oy-ster
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
indeed I checked it. I don't know, less than 5000 downloads...
Its an unknown publisher with closed source code... Don't know if I like it.
Plus, apparently there is all sort of criticism about its claimed security precisely because of the closed code.