Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,449 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gpe device running sense roms?

Tip us?

d11dog11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Default Gpe device running sense roms?

Can I flash sense based roms on the Google play edition ? I know you can do gpe based roms on sense devices but I can't find any info on what happens the other way. Thanks.
VZW GS4

d11dog11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Bump, probably trading for this tomorrow so I would really like an answer today. Does anyone know?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
VZW GS4

rrat
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11dog11 View Post
Can I flash sense based roms on the Google play edition ? I know you can do gpe based roms on sense devices but I can't find any info on what happens the other way. Thanks.
Not as far as i am aware, you will have to go through a few hoops unlocking bootloader s-off - firmware change to sense etc, i have bricked
my device in the process as i have a current post up here asking for help, gonna get M8 tomorrow, so we are in similar circumstances !

d11dog11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrat View Post
Not as far as i am aware, you will have to go through a few hoops unlocking bootloader s-off - firmware change to sense etc, i have bricked
my device in the process as i have a current post up here asking for help, gonna get M8 tomorrow, so we are in similar circumstances !
I know it needs s off and custom recovery and all that. I just mean once I have it ready to flash roms, is there any reason I can't flash a sense rom?

VZW GS4

rrat
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I know it needs s off and custom recovery and all that. I just mean once I have it ready to flash roms, is there any reason I can't flash a sense rom?

I am trying to do that now and i am stuck on the bootloader !!! Bricked, ! You can give it a try but am not a novice and i am stuck with a bricked
GPE version phone, if i was you, sell your working variant GPE on Gumtree, Ebay and go from there ! Good luck

NxNW
Old
Thanks Meter 517
Come on folks. Do your research.

A GPE One's hardware is identical to the AT&T carrier-locked/branded or Developer Edition or "International" (WWE) unlocked/unbranded phones.

Any of them can be turned into any of the others by (carefully) writing to the necessary partitions.

Once any of these phones is S-OFF you can easily run any of the ROMs intended for any of the others.

In fact, you can use "firmware" intended for one while running another, although I would advise you understand what "flashing firmware" really means before making any firm conclusions there.

Anyway, short answer to the OP, yes if you're S-OFF and do a little reading, you can flash a variety of Sense ROMs.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NxNW For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d11dog11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Come on folks. Do your research.

A GPE One's hardware is identical to the AT&T carrier-locked/branded or Developer Edition or "International" (WWE) unlocked/unbranded phones.

Any of them can be turned into any of the others by (carefully) writing to the necessary partitions.

Once any of these phones is S-OFF you can easily run any of the ROMs intended for any of the others.

In fact, you can use "firmware" intended for one while running another, although I would advise you understand what "flashing firmware" really means before making any firm conclusions there.

Anyway, short answer to the OP, yes if you're S-OFF and do a little reading, you can flash a variety of Sense ROMs.

That was the answer I was expecting and I thank you.

VZW GS4
The Following User Says Thank You to d11dog11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d11dog11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Next question, do I have to worry about s off like I did on my Verizon version or does the old fastboot oem unlock work like a nexus?

VZW GS4

NxNW
Old
Thanks Meter 517
Quote:
Next question, do I have to worry about s off like I did on my Verizon version or does the old fastboot oem unlock work like a nexus?
Unlock is not the same as S-OFF.

You can do a lot with just being unlocked, but at some point you probably want S-OFF.

I didn't buy my phone from Google, so I don't know if unlocking is as simple as using a fastboot command like on a Nexus.

If not, you will have to unlock like everyone else. You can go to htcdev.com and/or do it as part of the S-OFF process.

Just to review the obvious, unlocking your phone in this way will erase everything personal on it including your pictures, your music, everything.

Backup your stuff.

To go all the way S-OFF, you first need to find out your HBOOT version. Most GPE phones have 1.54 right now.

Then decide which S-OFF exploit might work for you.

Read the rumrunner and firewater threads very carefully before doing anything. Always read the OP several times and then peruse the last two or pages of activity in any thread before making any conclusions.

Good luck.

ipfreelytech
Old
Thanks Meter 81
GPE Hboot unlocks just like a nexus with Fastboot OEM Unlock. A token from htc dev is not required.

Still going to need to use an exploit to gain S-OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Unlock is not the same as S-OFF.

You can do a lot with just being unlocked, but at some point you probably want S-OFF.

I didn't buy my phone from Google, so I don't know if unlocking is as simple as using a fastboot command like on a Nexus.

If not, you will have to unlock like everyone else. You can go to htcdev.com and/or do it as part of the S-OFF process.

Just to review the obvious, unlocking your phone in this way will erase everything personal on it including your pictures, your music, everything.

Backup your stuff.

To go all the way S-OFF, you first need to find out your HBOOT version. Most GPE phones have 1.54 right now.

Then decide which S-OFF exploit might work for you.

Read the rumrunner and firewater threads very carefully before doing anything. Always read the OP several times and then peruse the last two or pages of activity in any thread before making any conclusions.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to ipfreelytech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]