Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 48,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] Ultimate GPS fix for any firmware and any device

Tip us?

Mycorrhiza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Angry [REF] Ultimate GPS fix for any firmware and any device

+

I seriously hate the Galaxy S for it's GPS. I mean really hate. Although having improved the fixing with newer firmwares, it is still atrocious while navigating: skipping all over the place and giving wrong directions and above certain speeds (around 140-160Km/h) loses gps altogether.
For me its basically unusable and I was very close to throwing it out of my car window a lot of the time!

Luckily I still had my Holux GPSlim 236 from the times were integrated GPS was still a myth and alongside Bluetooth GPS Provider it works like a charm. Pinpoint accuracy all the time. Finally my Galaxy S feels like my Milestone did GPS-wise.

Of course it is not practical to carry around a GPS receiver all the time, but for those reliant on in-car navigation it's a good solution as gps receivers should be pretty cheap now.

For anyone interested I recommend a Sirf based chip as the app support NMEA.

andrewluecke
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Any chance of posting a sample Mytrack recording?

compuse
Old
Thanks Meter 2
haha and that one is over 5 years old!

Mycorrhiza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuse View Post
haha and that one is over 5 years old!
And ironically it is so much better albeit much larger than the GPS in the brand new Galaxy S.

I will try to record my next trip when I use the GPS with myTrack.
On the trip I recently tested the Holux on it was 99% accurate almost all of the time. No wrong location, no location skipping and it even registered correctly when I was stopping at an intersection.

Oletros
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycorrhiza View Post
And ironically it is so much better albeit much larger than the GPS in the brand new Galaxy S.

I will try to record my next trip when I use the GPS with myTrack.
On the trip I recently tested the Holux on it was 99% accurate almost all of the time. No wrong location, no location skipping and it even registered correctly when I was stopping at an intersection.
I will try my Holux M-241 with its MTK chipset

padlad
Old
Thanks Meter 387
I was hoping my old R74 would do the job when in the car but the galaxy cannot even 'see' it. Gutted

Mycorrhiza
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
You mean the bluetooth our the app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlad View Post
I was hoping my old R74 would do the job when in the car but the galaxy cannot even 'see' it. Gutted

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

BottleB
Old
Thanks Meter 35
You shouldnt be driving at 140-160km/h

padlad
Old
Thanks Meter 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycorrhiza View Post
You mean the bluetooth our the app?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Both. As i understand it, the app will only work with the bluetooth gps as long as the Galaxy can 'see' the gps unit via bluetooth, which it can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to padlad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dvance
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleB View Post
You shouldnt be driving at 140-160km/h
Why not? Maybe he was on a derestricted toll road like the Nurburgring for example, or he was simply on the German Autobahn, where there's plenty of place where there is no speed limit. Or you're suggesting that you shouldn't drive at that speed anyway?

The Following User Says Thank You to dvance For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]