Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,844 Members 51,190 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TOOL][NABI] NabiLab GUI - Root, Play, Recovery for JR, XD, 2

Tip us?

aicjofs
Old
(Last edited by aicjofs; 11th October 2013 at 12:12 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 675
Default [TOOL][NABI] NabiLab GUI - Root, Play, Recovery for JR, XD, 2

NABI LAB GUI

Currently you cannot install Gapps on 2.1.27 see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1647

I abandon this project a long time ago, as the NabiLab command line program was working with very few issues besides getting the drivers working. That program was entirely for the Nabi 2 product. As I worked on rooting the Nabi XD and compiling TWRP for it, I took a condensed version of NabiLab and made it into NabiRootXD program. I never owned the Nabi JR 4GB model(Tegra2) and never bothered creating an auto installer for it, or for TWRP for that matter. Recently I came on to the new Nabi JR 16GB(Tegra3) after rooting and creating TWRP for it I wondered if I should re-use the tried and true NabiLab. That's when I remembered my initial attempts at a VB .NET app for the Nabi2. It seemed like with 4 different Nabi projects out there it might be in at least my best interest to maintain them all in one program.

Overview

The goal was to provide a program for the current crop of Fuhu Nabi devices. It should have similar function to the stable working NabiLab commandline program but expand support to the other Nabi products. I also want the user to be able to see and or edit the commands being sent to the device without having to compile the windows app, so this program sets out to simply start the similar batch files that original NabiLab used. At this point all functionality of NabiLab isn't restored to this newer program, so in some respects NabiLab original is still a superior program. In the NabiLabGUI's corner it has the latest TWRP (2.6.0.0 as of this writing), and some common adb/fastboot commands at your finger tips. At this point we can call this ALPHA testing. Despite the NabiLab commandline roots here it is bound to have some bugs. I will put it here, and down below: using the unlock bootloader feature in NabiJR 16GB will wipe your data

You Tube video description :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h7ZiWp2B7Q

-Devices

Nabi 2 (NV-7A)
Nabi JR 4GB (NV-5A)
Nabi XD (NV-10A)
Nabi JR 16GB (NV-5B)

-Functions

Install TWRP 2.6.0.0
Install stock recovery
Install root
Install Gapps(Google Play, Play Store, etc)
Perform initial backup of device
For NabiJR 16GB: unlock/lock the bootloader
Send simple/common ADB and fastboot commands
Auto updating via Microsoft ClickOnce
Installation in the start menu as NabiLab
Removal via control panel

-What it doesn't do that NabiLab original did...yet

Auto restore a device back to stock
Edit lockscreen image
Display devices stats

Prerequisites

.NET framework 3.5 (Sorry)
The program has to be initially installed in Internet Explorer(double sorry)
ADB/Fastboot drivers installed. PDAnet drivers have had the most sucess. Use the tools menu on the right side to check and see if you can control Nabi with ADB and Fastboot before starting the scripts.
Device updated to it's latest firmware. While older firmware may work it is best to be on the latest.

Download

NabiLabGUI installer You have to launch this link in Internet Explorer, there is an extension for google chrome called ClickOnce but I have had little luck getting it to work. Here is the copy and paste link if you are currently in a different browser.
Code:
http://home.comcast.net/~aicjofs/NabiLabGUI/publish.htm
Since I am just hosting this on Comcast, they don't serve the proper MIME types, you may have to toggle the "compatibility mode" button in IE. If the bar is blue on the web page it likely wont work, if it's orange it will. If you are seeing xml after clicking install you need to toggle compatibility. See the video for an example.

Usage

Main Menu

Have device on, and powered up to TWRP or Android. Launch program from start menu.

The program has tool tip enabled which you can hover the mouse over to get general information. In this screen you can issue the ADB/Fastboot commands by selecting the radio button and pressing button. The CMD prompt button will open a command window where you can issue commands within the $PATH, fastboot, and adb. On the left side you select the device you have plugged in to issue device specific auto scripts.

Deivce Menu

Root, Recovery, Gapps, Backup - This option is best used if you have a brand new Nabi. A new window will open. Follow directions, start by pressing the etner key, and don't hit enter button rapidly, be patient. Most sticking points are pressing the volume keys on the device, in the correct order and quickly enough. After its complete you should have TWRP recovery installed, a rooted Nabi, with Gapps and a backup of your unmodified Nabi in the folder TWRP/BACKUPS/YOURSERIAL/stockunrooted on your device. Not a bad idea to copy this off the Nabi to your computer if you need to free space or have it in a second location.

Gapps only - Installs Gapps only. You must first have TWRP installed.

Root only - Installs root/superuser. You must have TWRP installed.

Install TWRP x.x.x.x - Install TWRP and nothing else

Install stock recovery - Install stock for OTA, or selling, etc

Bootloader unlock(only on NabiJR 16GB) - UNLOCKING WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE IT CLEAN. WARNING!! WARNING Now that is out of the way....Before you do anything on the NabiJR 16GB you will have to unlock the bootloader. During the script you will need to OK the unlock on the Nabi itself. You have to be quick, the timeout is 3 to 5 seconds maybe. You will get a prompt when its unlocked. Did I mention...IT WIPES YOUR DATA!

Example of Script Window

You need to have the blinking cursor in the small white bar at bottom. The window opens this way but if you leave focus and comeback you can have the cursor in the upper grey area, and press any key won't work

Other & Links

Install location XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\xxx\xxx or Vista/7/8 C:\Users\username\appdata\local\apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\

Nabi JR 4GB TWRP
Nabi XD TWRP
Nabi 2 TWRP
NabiLab commandline version
Main Nabi2 thread
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

riassan
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
NABI LAB GUI

I abandon this project a long time ago, as the NabiLab command line program was working with very few issues besides getting the drivers working. That program was entirely for the Nabi 2 product. As I worked on rooting the Nabi XD and compiling TWRP for it, I took a condensed version of NabiLab and made it into NabiRootXD program. I never owned the Nabi JR 4GB model(Tegra2) and never bothered creating an auto installer for it, or for TWRP for that matter. Recently I came on to the new Nabi JR 16GB(Tegra3) after rooting and creating TWRP for it I wondered if I should re-use the tried and true NabiLab. That's when I remembered my initial attempts at a VB .NET app for the Nabi2. It seemed like with 4 different Nabi projects out there it might be in at least my best interest to maintain them all in one program.

Overview

The goal was to provide a program for the current crop of Fuhu Nabi devices. It should have similar function to the stable working NabiLab commandline program but expand support to the other Nabi products. I also want the user to be able to see and or edit the commands being sent to the device without having to compile the windows app, so this program sets out to simply start the similar batch files that original NabiLab used. At this point all functionality of NabiLab isn't restored to this newer program, so in some respects NabiLab original is still a superior program. In the NabiLabGUI's corner it has the latest TWRP (2.6.0.0 as of this writing), and some common adb/fastboot commands at your finger tips. At this point we can call this ALPHA testing. Despite the NabiLab commandline roots here it is bound to have some bugs. I will put it here, and down below: using the unlock bootloader feature in NabiJR 16GB will wipe your data

-Devices

Nabi 2 (NV-7A)
Nabi JR 4GB (NV-5A)
Nabi XD (NV-10A)
Nabi JR 16GB (NV-5B)

-Functions

Install TWRP 2.6.0.0
Install stock recovery
Install root
Install Gapps(Google Play, Play Store, etc)
Perform initial backup of device
For NabiJR 16GB: unlock/lock the bootloader
Send simple/common ADB and fastboot commands
Auto updating via Microsoft ClickOnce
Installation in the start menu as NabiLab
Removal via control panel

-What it doesn't do that NabiLab original did...yet

Auto restore a device back to stock
Edit lockscreen image
Display devices stats

Prerequisites

.NET framework 3.5 (Sorry)
The program has to be initially installed in Internet Explorer(double sorry)
ADB/Fastboot drivers installed
Device updated to it's latest firmware. While older firmware may work it is best to be on the latest.

Download

NabiLabGUI installer You have to launch this link in Internet Explorer, there is an extension for google chrome called ClickOnce but I have had little luck getting it to work.

Usage

Main Menu

Have device on, and powered up to TWRP or Android. Launch program from start menu.

The program has tool tip enabled which you can hover the mouse over to get general information. In this screen you can issue the ADB/Fastboot commands by selecting the radio button and pressing button. The CMD prompt button will open a command window where you can issue commands within the $PATH, fastboot, and adb. On the left side you select the device you have plugged in to issue device specific auto scripts.

Deivce Menu

Root, Recovery, Gapps, Backup - This option is best used if you have a brand new Nabi. A new window will open. Follow directions, start by pressing the etner key, and don't hit enter button rapidly, be patient. Most sticking points are pressing the volume keys on the device, in the correct order and quickly enough. After its complete you should have TWRP recovery installed, a rooted Nabi, with Gapps and a backup of your unmodified Nabi in the folder TWRP/BACKUPS/YOURSERIAL/stockunrooted on your device. Not a bad idea to copy this off the Nabi to your computer if you need to free space or have it in a second location.

Gapps only - Installs Gapps only. You must first have TWRP installed.

Root only - Installs root/superuser. You must have TWRP installed.

Install TWRP x.x.x.x - Install TWRP and nothing else

Install stock recovery - Install stock for OTA, or selling, etc

Bootloader unlock(only on NabiJR 16GB) - UNLOCKING WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE IT CLEAN. WARNING!! WARNING Now that is out of the way....Before you do anything on the NabiJR 16GB you will have to unlock the bootloader. During the script you will need to OK the unlock on the Nabi itself. You have to be quick, the timeout is 3 to 5 seconds maybe. You will get a prompt when its unlocked. Did I mention...IT WIPES YOUR DATA!

Example of Script Window

You need to have the blinking cursor in the small white bar at bottom. The window opens this way but if you leave focus and comeback you can have the cursor in the upper grey area, and press any key won't work

Other & Links

Install location XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\xxx\xxx or Vista/7/8 C:\Users\username\appdata\local\apps\2.0\xxx\xxx\

Nabi JR 4GB TWRP
Nabi XD TWRP
Nabi 2 TWRP
NabiLab commandline version
Main Nabi2 thread
going to give this a whirl on my daughters now
The Following User Says Thank You to riassan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spectre51
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1320

DONATE TO ME
So no way to root and install gapps on the 16gb nabiJR without unlocking the bootloader and installing the custom recovery?

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z

Current Phones/Tablets:
OnePlus One // Xperia Z Ultra // Lumia 1020 // Xperia Tablet Z // Surface Pro
Accessories
Sony Smart Wireless Headset pro MW1 // Smart Bluetooth Handset SBH52 // Z Ultra Power Cover CP12
Past Phones/Tablets:
iPhone 1st Gen/3GS/4S // Nexus One // Dell Streak // Atrix 4g // Lumia 900, 920 // Xperia Play, S, P, ion, TL, Z, Z1 // iPad 1, 3

Click here for my Xperia firmware downloads.
Use the Thanks button if I helped.

aicjofs
Old
Thanks Meter 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre51 View Post
So no way to root and install gapps on the 16gb nabiJR without unlocking the bootloader and installing the custom recovery?

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z
I have not tried it, but in theory you could use motochooper root method. Then manually transfer su, superuser.apk, set permissions, then install gapps manually. No need to unlock bootloader, of course without doing it you have no recovery to fall back upon.

LowFire82
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Just used this on both my Nabi Jr 4GB and Nabi2, worked wonderfully! A couple bugs that cause software crash, but nothing that restarting it back up didn't hurt. I think the scripting for the all-at-once Recovery/Backup/Root/GApps needs some work, as they both got hung up for me on each one...so I just did each step individually.

Also, I downloaded it using Chrome and installed it from that way as well, and it worked just fine...and I didn't have to use any extension

Thank you very much!!!

djeleet
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm looking to do my nephews nabo but I don't know what nabi it is. The model number on the back is Nabi-A. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great. I just don't want the kid mode on there. He doesn't use it anymore so my mom is going to use the Nabi so I would like to get as close to a normal android tablet as possible (custom Rom, Google play store, etc) Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

aicjofs
Old
Thanks Meter 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeleet View Post
I'm looking to do my nephews nabo but I don't know what nabi it is. The model number on the back is Nabi-A. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great. I just don't want the kid mode on there. He doesn't use it anymore so my mom is going to use the Nabi so I would like to get as close to a normal android tablet as possible (custom Rom, Google play store, etc) Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
Nabi-A is the original Nabi, this program doesn't support it. I haven't followed much about that tablet. It is rootable, you could at least remove some of the kids programs. I doubt there is a custom ROM.

ipskang
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have nabi Jr 16 gb, to install twrp then need to unlock boatloader. If I do that then I Will lose that, does that all apps as well provided by Fuhu?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipskang View Post
I have nabi Jr 16 gb, to install twrp then I need to unlock boatloader. If I do that then I Will lose data, does that all apps as well provided by Fuhu?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

ROM: Android Open Kang Project - maguro - JBean

Amazon Kindle Fire

ROM : Jelly Bean Tablet Edition aka Project Jandycane

"Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"

aicjofs
Old
Thanks Meter 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipskang View Post
I have nabi Jr 16 gb, to install twrp then need to unlock boatloader. If I do that then I Will lose that, does that all apps as well provided by Fuhu?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

You just loose everything on internal SD(data/media), and all saved settings, games, etc. Everything you put on the device. After a reboot the device will put all your apps back from the backup on the addon partition. Basically it is a factory reset.
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks

ipskang
Old
Thanks Meter 5
In your first post, its mentioned that gapps cannot be installed on 2.1.27 but I have product version 1 of Nabi Jr 16gb nick edition . Can I install gapps ? How do i check system memory?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

ROM: Android Open Kang Project - maguro - JBean

Amazon Kindle Fire

ROM : Jelly Bean Tablet Edition aka Project Jandycane

"Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"