Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Update fails to install

OP csos95

7th April 2014, 03:34 PM   |  #1  
csos95's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
I tried to install the new update but on the install screen it says failed to verify and asks if i want to install anyways.
I choose yes and it errors out saying the update is for device "roth" and i have device "thor"
Does ayone know a workaround for this?
7th April 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #2  
Evo_Shift's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 368
 
1,940 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Have you messed with any system files or changed out the recovery or anything like that? I assume the Shield is going to look to make sure the system is all intact before allowing the update. Though the fact it says Roth which is a spelling error of Thor seems weird. Mine updated fine...

If you can find the update using root explorer you could delete it and redownload it.
Last edited by Evo_Shift; 7th April 2014 at 04:37 PM.
7th April 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #3  
csos95's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm, and rooted using Kwonggers toolkit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
7th April 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #4  
mortis2600's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by csos95

I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm, and rooted using Kwonggers toolkit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OTAs will commonly fail if you install custom recovery. You'll have to wait for someone to make it into a zip that you can run through CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mortis2600 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
164 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by csos95

I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm, and rooted using Kwonggers toolkit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

You probably still have CWM installed, to install an OTA you must first go back to the stock recovery. You can download it from here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/o...s/recovery.img

Put that file in your ADB folder

To flash it, connect to usb and enable ADB debugging.
on PC type:

adb reboot bootloader

-Wait to reboot-

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

-Now you have stock recovery installed-

Reboot the shield normally and install the OTA update, it should work.

Your bootloader is still unlocked, but you don't have root.

To install CWM, just follow the same instructions but replace the stock image with the CWM recovery image. You can download that here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/cwm/recovery.img

The shield will be unrooted when you update. To root, simply flash CWM and reboot. CWM will ask you if you want to disable Stock reflashing, and if you want to root.
You may also need to flash the real SU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/396/Sup...etrieve_file=1

For me, I was not able to let the SU app install the binary's alone, (Normal, or CWM method) I had to flash the SU zip.
But the update is smooth, and everything is working. Just no SD write support obviously.
Last edited by CDeviant; 7th April 2014 at 07:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDeviant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #6  
csos95's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeviant

You probably still have CWM installed, to install an OTA you must first go back to the stock recovery. You can download it from here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/o...s/recovery.img

Put that file in your ADB folder

To flash it, connect to usb and enable ADB debugging.
on PC type:

adb reboot bootloader

-Wait to reboot-

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

-Now you have stock recovery installed-

Reboot the shield normally and install the OTA update, it should work.

Your bootloader is still unlocked, but you don't have root.

To install CWM, just follow the same instructions but replace the stock image with the CWM recovery image. You can download that here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/cwm/recovery.img

The shield will be unrooted when you update. To root, simply flash CWM and reboot. CWM will ask you if you want to disable Stock reflashing, and if you want to root.
You may also need to flash the real SU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/396/Sup...etrieve_file=1

For me, I was not able to let the SU app install the binary's alone, (Normal, or CWM method) I had to flash the SU zip.
But the update is smooth, and everything is working. Just no SD write support obviously.

I tried this but it wouldn't download the ota again an I couldn't find where it was. So, I tried going back to stock to update but now it is stuck on the boot screen. I tried downloading a newer factory image from the nvidia website but now all of the windows links are locked behind some developer program that I have to make an account, submit an application, and wait for approval. Do you have any links to a recent factory restore image?

EDIT: I ended up just downloading mint and the linux .sh file to get the factory images.
Last edited by csos95; 7th April 2014 at 11:28 PM.
7th April 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
You can use the root toolbox on this forum to reflash stock and relock and fix it
7th April 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #8  
csos95's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4shay

You can use the root toolbox on this forum to reflash stock and relock and fix it

That's what I tried before but it didn't work
7th April 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #9  
Unjustified Dev's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis , TN
Thanks Meter: 5,102
 
4,928 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
If some updates please capture the OTA zip that downloads and upload it for us to tear apart.
7th April 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
What steps are you doing on there also email me eric4shay@gmail.com I will be able to respond more quickly

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes