Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 40,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Update fails to install

Tip us?

csos95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Update fails to install

I tried to install the new update but on the install screen it says failed to verify and asks if i want to install anyways.
I choose yes and it errors out saying the update is for device "roth" and i have device "thor"
Does ayone know a workaround for this?

Evo_Shift
Old
(Last edited by Evo_Shift; 7th April 2014 at 03:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 350
Have you messed with any system files or changed out the recovery or anything like that? I assume the Shield is going to look to make sure the system is all intact before allowing the update. Though the fact it says Roth which is a spelling error of Thor seems weird. Mine updated fine...

If you can find the update using root explorer you could delete it and redownload it.

csos95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm, and rooted using Kwonggers toolkit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

mortis2600
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by csos95 View Post

OTAs will commonly fail if you install custom recovery. You'll have to wait for someone to make it into a zip that you can run through CWM.
- mortis2600 -

Phone: Moto X
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
Watch: Omate TrueSmart 2.0
Media: Chromecast, G-Box MX2 Midnight
The Following User Says Thank You to mortis2600 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CDeviant
Old
(Last edited by CDeviant; 7th April 2014 at 06:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by csos95 View Post

You probably still have CWM installed, to install an OTA you must first go back to the stock recovery. You can download it from here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/o...s/recovery.img

Put that file in your ADB folder

To flash it, connect to usb and enable ADB debugging.
on PC type:

adb reboot bootloader

-Wait to reboot-

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

-Now you have stock recovery installed-

Reboot the shield normally and install the OTA update, it should work.

Your bootloader is still unlocked, but you don't have root.

To install CWM, just follow the same instructions but replace the stock image with the CWM recovery image. You can download that here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/cwm/recovery.img

The shield will be unrooted when you update. To root, simply flash CWM and reboot. CWM will ask you if you want to disable Stock reflashing, and if you want to root.
You may also need to flash the real SU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/396/Sup...etrieve_file=1

For me, I was not able to let the SU app install the binary's alone, (Normal, or CWM method) I had to flash the SU zip.
But the update is smooth, and everything is working. Just no SD write support obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDeviant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

csos95
Old
(Last edited by csos95; 7th April 2014 at 10:28 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeviant View Post
You probably still have CWM installed, to install an OTA you must first go back to the stock recovery. You can download it from here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/o...s/recovery.img

Put that file in your ADB folder

To flash it, connect to usb and enable ADB debugging.
on PC type:

adb reboot bootloader

-Wait to reboot-

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

-Now you have stock recovery installed-

Reboot the shield normally and install the OTA update, it should work.

Your bootloader is still unlocked, but you don't have root.

To install CWM, just follow the same instructions but replace the stock image with the CWM recovery image. You can download that here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/shield/cwm/recovery.img

The shield will be unrooted when you update. To root, simply flash CWM and reboot. CWM will ask you if you want to disable Stock reflashing, and if you want to root.
You may also need to flash the real SU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/396/Sup...etrieve_file=1

For me, I was not able to let the SU app install the binary's alone, (Normal, or CWM method) I had to flash the SU zip.
But the update is smooth, and everything is working. Just no SD write support obviously.
I tried this but it wouldn't download the ota again an I couldn't find where it was. So, I tried going back to stock to update but now it is stuck on the boot screen. I tried downloading a newer factory image from the nvidia website but now all of the windows links are locked behind some developer program that I have to make an account, submit an application, and wait for approval. Do you have any links to a recent factory restore image?

EDIT: I ended up just downloading mint and the linux .sh file to get the factory images.

eric4shay
Old
Thanks Meter 5
You can use the root toolbox on this forum to reflash stock and relock and fix it

csos95
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4shay View Post
You can use the root toolbox on this forum to reflash stock and relock and fix it
That's what I tried before but it didn't work

Unjustified Dev
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4682
If some updates please capture the OTA zip that downloads and upload it for us to tear apart.

eric4shay
Old
Thanks Meter 5
What steps are you doing on there also email me eric4shay@gmail.com I will be able to respond more quickly