FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Note 2 TW ROMs fading away

856 posts
Thanks Meter: 364

Post Reply Email Thread
Hate to say it but looks like some Note 2 TW devs are leaving the phone. Seems they are vanishing weekly. Too bad because there were some great ROMs out there and I hate to see some of them go for the VZW variant. Really sad that VZW and Samsung are making things so difficult for devs these days. Makes me wonder if they left it open just long enough to steal hard working dev ideas for themselves without having to pay an R&D department to test the OS. Looks like AOSP 4.3 ROMs are starting to take off though, and with the addition of the App Bar, Halo and a host of other mods by great devs we still have a few options. That coupled with great mod apps in the Play Store you can almost get the TW experience with AOSP now.

Or maybe they are moving on to other projects until we get the 4.3 TW update. Then, hopefully some of them will return and develop for one of the top devices still on the market. The Note 3 will most likely be locked down like the S4 so I am thinking the Note 2 may be the last great Samsung device open to rooting and having the ability to flash custom ROMs.

To all the devs that made (or still making) great TW ROMs for our VZW Note 2, thanks for all your hard work. I know I have enjoyed being able to try different ROMs and tinkering with them. You all deserve donations and our gratitude. You guys and gals make the Android experience enjoyable for all of us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Real_JESRadio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Real_JESRadio Ad-Free

16th September 2013, 06:13 AM |#2  
Flag Orlando FL
Thanks Meter: 237

More
I'm sure they will be back when we get the 4.3 update. This is the only phone that has an unlockable bootloader, with TW on verizon that's actually decent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BennyJr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BennyJr Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 06:38 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davenport

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJr

I'm sure they will be back when we get the 4.3 update. This is the only phone that has an unlockable bootloader, with TW on verizon that's actually decent.

Hopefully thats the case. Or it may be time to switch carriers. Kinda tired of VZW and their procedures anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Real_JESRadio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Real_JESRadio Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 06:43 AM |#4  
Flag Orlando FL
Thanks Meter: 237

More
If I could I'd leave for an att mnvo but I can't

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
16th September 2013, 07:22 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJr

What's wrong with the s3?

I'm sure the s4 will have an unlocked bootloader soon, especially with the 3k+ bounty.

TBH, this is what always happens. it makes sense that the devs move back to the latest phone. plus the note 3 is coming out soon too, so, yeah, pretty sure what happened to the s3 will happen to the note 2.

at first I really liked TW, but then I switched to the PACman rom and I haven't looked back. the features on TW are nice, but honestly I don't use them that much. i know every user varies, but there are a lot of apps out there that replace TW functionality. I really haven't noticed since switching. I just was unhappy being on 4.1.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimdoocheol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kimdoocheol Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 01:40 PM |#6  
Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 40,464

Donate to Me
More
As a TW ROM author for the S3 I can tell you guys TW has its limits and there is only so much we can do so we are all awaiting the 4.3 upgrade. We can mess around with themes and included apps, inverting things, but there are limits. It is not like TW has a nightly source code to keep building from. Just be patient and maybe play with some different themes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KennyG123 Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 03:43 PM |#7  
Iowa
Thanks Meter: 2,426

More
Also keep in mind that the xposed framework has removed a lot of the necessity for a true custom rom as it does just about everything that previously had to be hardcoded in. Most custom roms anymore are really just themes with xposed installed by default.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akellar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akellar Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 04:28 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,564

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdoocheol

What's wrong with the s3?

I'm sure the s4 will have an unlocked bootloader soon, especially with the 3k+ bounty.

TBH, this is what always happens. it makes sense that the devs move back to the latest phone. plus the note 3 is coming out soon too, so, yeah, pretty sure what happened to the s3 will happen to the note 2.

at first I really liked TW, but then I switched to the PACman rom and I haven't looked back. the features on TW are nice, but honestly I don't use them that much. i know every user varies, but there are a lot of apps out there that replace TW functionality. I really haven't noticed since switching. I just was unhappy being on 4.1.

The S4 wont be unlocked...however Im sure something like Kexec or Safestrap will be used to work around the Locked Bootloader. If you read into the details of Qualcomm processors and qfuses, you will quickly learn its pretty much impossible.
16th September 2013, 04:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 124

More
JB is still a very active rom, as is Nebula. One of the problems I have run into is that many of the roms are built on the international base. Cleanrom was the perfect rom for me but unfortunately Scott has moved on.

Jellybeans = very active, but I personally seem to always have little issues, I have however never seen anyone else with them.

Cleanrom = dead, but rock solid stable for me

Transnebula = Great support, and very active, however the tab UI just does not work for me... I would KILL to have these guys put together something like clean rom but with floating multiwindow. (One of the devs is also f&*(ing Batman in disguise I swear, listening to his gadget list is bloody awesome)

Lab Rats = a theme beast, but I am not really into theming, seems to me there is always something not quite right with custom themes.

There are also a few international based roms that are very active.

Edit: Oh yeah, also beware flashing Lab Rats at work unless you want your co-workers making fun of you for the boot up sound
The Following User Says Thank You to Morkai Almandragon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Morkai Almandragon Ad-Free
16th September 2013, 07:04 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davenport

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

As a TW ROM author for the S3 I can tell you guys TW has its limits and there is only so much we can do so we are all awaiting the 4.3 upgrade. We can mess around with themes and included apps, inverting things, but there are limits. It is not like TW has a nightly source code to keep building from. Just be patient and maybe play with some different themes.

Agreed. I actually missed my GS3 for about 2 months until the N2 ROMs started picking up. Now I'm digging PAC Man 4.3 and can't wait to see what happens with TW 4.3. Just hope the devs migrate back eventually. The N2 is a great device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
16th September 2013, 07:07 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davenport

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkai Almandragon

JB is still a very active rom, as is Nebula. One of the problems I have run into is that many of the roms are built on the international base. Cleanrom was the perfect rom for me but unfortunately Scott has moved on.

Jellybeans = very active, but I personally seem to always have little issues, I have however never seen anyone else with them.

Cleanrom = dead, but rock solid stable for me

Transnebula = Great support, and very active, however the tab UI just does not work for me... I would KILL to have these guys put together something like clean rom but with floating multiwindow. (One of the devs is also f&*(ing Batman in disguise I swear, listening to his gadget list is bloody awesome)

Lab Rats = a theme beast, but I am not really into theming, seems to me there is always something not quite right with custom themes.

There are also a few international based roms that are very active.

Edit: Oh yeah, also beware flashing Lab Rats at work unless you want your co-workers making fun of you for the boot up sound

Beans just got a Moto X so I hope he builds for the N2 still after 4.3 drops.

Haven't tried Trans yet. Not a big tablet UI fan.

Still need to try the newest Lab Rats

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)