Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MK2 rooted with Safestrap (E: Unable to mount '/cache')

Tip us?

vector_pPing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] MK2 rooted with Safestrap (E: Unable to mount '/cache')

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get Safestrap to funtion properly on my VZW GS4 MK2. I rooted my phone with Saferoot and installed Safestrap v3.71. I am able to boot into recovery fine but whenever I try to create a new ROM slot it never works. It doesn't matter which one I select, I am able to set the partition sizes for the data and cache and select create slot. It gets about half way done creating and then my phone reboots. I am able to immediately enter back into recovery after it reboots. I activate the ROM slot that was just created but it says the data and cache partitions are empty, also the text in the terminal reads "E: Unable to mount '/cache'. I thought that maybe my phone just doesn't have enough memory so I manually deleted things off my phone, to no avail. I uninstalled Safestrap and completely unrooted my phone and did a factory reset so I know I have plenty of space on my phone. I also get the same error message when attempting to do a nandroid backup through Safestrap. I've tried everything I can think of to get this to work so if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3369

DONATE TO ME
Ive seen this error once before, and while I did find a fix, the user constantly had minor nagging issues as a result. Usually this is the last thing I recommend but to save you trouble I suggest you back up everything important to a pc and flash a full stock odin tar. If it fails flash with the pit file. Sorry I couldn't give better news lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vector_pPing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well that's unfortunate, I was hoping I had just overlooked a minor detail during the installation/setup lol. I will try that once I figure out how to flash a full stock odin tar, as I'm a noob lol. If you have a link to a thread that explains it clearly that would be appreciated, if not I can probably find one fairly easily. Any ideas as to why this is such a rare occurrance? I'm kinda puzzled that there has only been one other user with this error. Thanks for your help!

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_pPing View Post
Well that's unfortunate, I was hoping I had just overlooked a minor detail during the installation/setup lol. I will try that once I figure out how to flash a full stock odin tar, as I'm a noob lol. If you have a link to a thread that explains it clearly that would be appreciated, if not I can probably find one fairly easily. Any ideas as to why this is such a rare occurrance? I'm kinda puzzled that there has only been one other user with this error. Thanks for your help!
Read Surge's post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209 - use the "Emergency Repair" process.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

vector_pPing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge1223 View Post
Usually this is the last thing I recommend but to save you trouble I suggest you back up everything important to a pc and flash a full stock odin tar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It worked! I did the full wipe using Odin and was able to create a ROM slot and begin flashing. Thanks for your help!