Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,209 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Damaged Nook ST Glowlight light guide

Tip us?

David0226
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Damaged Nook ST Glowlight light guide

I recently dropped something on my Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and created a "hole" in the light guide layer . I have found a way to minimize this distraction and thought I would share it here. I have my Nook rooted and have AIReader installed. I noticed that if I use white text on a black background the "hole" in the light guide is much less distracting. It seems the bright spot from the "hole" appears much smaller when the light does not reflect off of a white background. With the Glowlight off the defect it not noticeable, so reading in normal light is fine and when I have the Glowlight on switching to the black background doesn't seem so strange because the room is dark anyway.

I suspect others have this all too common problem, so I hope this information helps someone.

t_0_0_l
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do you want to look into trying any of these products? I found them a while ago and I was thinking perhaps the uniformity tape could reduce the glare properly and finally be a fix to the glowlight issue. I looked into other light guiding films to replace the entire screen "protector" but it looks like it has to be specifically designed to distribute the light evenly.