Verizon now charging $300 for non 0/0 que

Search This thread

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
I looked for a similar thread.

I am swapping out my Droid 4 today, sd card reader died. and one of the FIRST questions from TechII was "Have you rooted your device?"....."You will be charged $300 if your que is not 0/0. You will have "voided warranty" Thankfully I had not.
Then she went on to say they used to just let it go but as of 2013 they starting cracking down...

Just an FYI...
Rich

bofis

Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I looked for a similar thread.

I am swapping out my Droid 4 today, sd card reader died. and one of the FIRST questions from TechII was "Have you rooted your device?"....."You will be charged $300 if your que is not 0/0. You will have "voided warranty" Thankfully I had not.
Then she went on to say they used to just let it go but as of 2013 they starting cracking down...

Just an FYI...
Rich

Does the Droid 4 even keep track of that? Whenever I FRUed my phone I'd always SBF it back to stock, which unrooted it and reverted it back to day 1...I wasn't aware there was anywhere that they could check to see if it had ever been rooted at that point?

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
Does the Droid 4 even keep track of that? Whenever I FRUed my phone I'd always SBF it back to stock, which unrooted it and reverted it back to day 1...I wasn't aware there was anywhere that they could check to see if it had ever been rooted at that point?

Yeah, It is in the Recovery Menu(blue list) look towards the bottom. It's yellow and is supposedly coded in the firmware(beyond my scope), supposedly not hackable(?) but it reads as follows:

que 0/0... that means no root & never rooted

que 0/1 ...." " no current root but was rooted at one point.

que 0/2........"....." " " " twice..etc..

que 1/1....means phone is currently rooted.

Anything except the 1st que 0/0 will cost $300. According to Verizon TechII 4/10/14.

bofis

Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Lame! At that point, just seek out a refurbished Droid 4 on eBay or elsewhere for less and don't deal with Verizon's equally refurbished replacements.

Reactions: DarkMidnight

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Couldn't one just claim ignorance? "My *what* isn't 0/0? I don't know what that is, I bought this phone from a friend" etc.

Or would they just use the fact that the que is not 0/0 to deny a FRU? My earpiece speaker died recently and, needless to say, my phone has been rooted many times... I went to the VZW store and was informed that because the D4 is an older model, they can't guarantee another one (even with my TEP insurance) because there simply might not be any left in the warehouse. I'm gonna try fixing the speaker myself, replacement part is on the way...

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
Hi Khiraji
I know its been 6 months since last post about fixing your speaker on your D4, but did that ever work? Amazing, working on hardware on smartphones now is becoming more popular, very cool even attempting it. I just went from a D2-D3-D4,, and now I have a LG G3(Sorry D5, I waited)..MAN am I happy!!.. Thought I would hate a non hard slideout-keyboard but not with a 5.5" screen. I am now phasing out my laptop. G3 has slide-able split screen..Phone connection is crisp, loud.

If the root counter on the D4 is in recovery menu as "que=0/0" , would be in a similar fashion on other phones?

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Hi Khiraji
I know its been 6 months since last post about fixing your speaker on your D4, but did that ever work? Amazing, working on hardware on smartphones now is becoming more popular, very cool even attempting it. I just went from a D2-D3-D4,, and now I have a LG G3(Sorry D5, I waited)..MAN am I happy!!.. Thought I would hate a non hard slideout-keyboard but not with a 5.5" screen. I am now phasing out my laptop. G3 has slide-able split screen..Phone connection is crisp, loud.

If the root counter on the D4 is in recovery menu as "que=0/0" , would be in a similar fashion on other phones?

It worked for about a week, then the buzz came right back :(
This was with 3 separate replacement speaker units - I tore my phone apart 3 times, and I was getting pretty good at it before I finally just gave up, SBF'd back to stock, and went to the VZW store hat in hand. I talked to a higher-up at the store, and it turns out VZW has a huge stash (almost 8k units as of July) of D4s for exactly this situation. They overnighted me a CLNR phone and only in the past week has the goram buzz started up again...

I think the writing is finally on the wall for my D4. I went back into the store today to look at the latest offerings and the Droid Maxx is pretty sweet. With the Droid Turbo launching in a few weeks (which has a HUGE battery, updated specs), D4 might finally be getting retired. My upgrade is up in February, so maybe she'll hold out until then. Quite sad, really... I wanted a D5 so badly, because the keyboard form factor RULES and is superior to touchscreens in every way, but looks like that won't ever happen =/

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Wow, earlier this year I had my D4 replaced (under insurance) because the accelerometer was dead. The first replacement they sent me, the phone wouldn't detect the SIM card. Sent it back, waited, they said they had no more D4s in stock. A couple days later they sent me another D4, last one available at the time. It has a flaky /? key on the keyboard, doesn't work most of the time. I would have sent it back again as well, but sometimes if you hit it repeatedly it eventually works, and I didn't want to give up and switch to some other phone.

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
I've spent many days pondering the future of my D4, and the writing on the wall is becoming clearer... for me, an upgrade is coming sooner than later. The Droid Turbo is looking quite sweet indeed and while I will forever mourn the loss of my keyboard, one must adapt to survive sometimes. I know I'll hate it for the first couple of weeks, but if the Turbo turns out to be as fast as my friend's HTC One M8 then it'll be dang close to a physical keyboard in landscape mode.

Oh well. It sucks.

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
I've had my g3 for over a week now and love it. I just did not use my physical keyboard on my D4 for the last couple weeks I had it to get use to not having them. Now with a 5.5" screen there is lots of space to type on the screen.
Everything is so much faster and smoother, it was way worth it for me.
I still can't find the secret menu code dial #. I have tried a few but doesn't work. Getting ready I'm getting ready to ioroot.

Rich

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
I've had my g3 for over a week now and love it. I just did not use my physical keyboard on my D4 for the last couple weeks I had it to get use to not having them. Now with a 5.5" screen there is lots of space to type on the screen.
Everything is so much faster and smoother, it was way worth it for me.
I still can't find the secret menu code dial #. I have tried a few but doesn't work. Getting ready I'm getting ready to ioroot.

Rich

That's the phone I want. I spent many hours pouring over every review under the sun and the G3 has everything I want in a new device. I went to Verizon today, SBF'd D4 in hand, only to learn that no, you can't jump into Verizon Edge whenever you want... you need to be eligible for an upgrade anyway (which defeats the purpose of Edge, but whatever) or go for the "manager-approved accessories bundle" which is like $130 for some accessories I probably would never use.

Ugh. Frustrating. And I went back after work only to find 10+ people in the queue ahead of me. So, now I'm re-rooting and loading up the (life-saving) backup image I made right before SBFing. Bah.

Tomorrow I'm headed back there to see if there's something else they can do for me... the biggest thing now is that my earpiece is fuzzing out yet again. I have insurance on this phone so I could have them send me a FRU for free, but it's only a matter of time before *that* one fuzzes out.... and my upgrade isn't until February 19.

Bollocks. Well, maybe I'll figure out what to do after a few beers. :confused:

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
Hi Khiraji,
If verizon, for sure, will send you a free FRU, then maybe that D4 will be okay, or no worse, than what you have now until Feb. I always had really good sound from the speakers on the three Droid 4s I had. 1st one camera died, & 2nd one keyboard keys. 3rd one no probs for 1 year.
But then the D4 you exchange will have a que 0/1or? for root count costing you $300?

Can the que in the recovery menu nowadays be reset back to 0/0? I'm unclear on that.

Rich

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Can the que in the recovery menu nowadays be reset back to 0/0? I'm unclear on that.

That I'm not sure of - but the last time this happened, the unit I sent in when my FRU came had definitely before been rooted (SBF'd completely back to stock first, of course). They didn't ding me $300... knock on wood for the same results this time...

richsapf

Feb 16, 2008
I'm kinda curious what your "que score" is before & after flashing back to stock. Actually I can test myself now since my D4 is no longer under contract.. any suggestions for a good Rom? I never reserched any for the D4 like I did for the D3. I used Eclipse?..omg. over 2 years sinced I've flashed/rooted.

With this G3, I rooted toot-sweet. Mainly because kit-kat will not even let you rename files on your sd card. Oh yah, it is still at kit-kat with update to lollipop rumered for early 2015. I really love this work of art though, with an 801 Snapdragon quad core, & can you believe 3gigs of Ram. Im not a gamer so its almost overkill. I can't see needing, for me, the 805cpu. The UI is to me intuitive. But this is all coming from a biased of my new toy and not even touching any other phone to compare.

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Just got home from the VZW store, a FRU D4 is on its way via FedEx Overnight :D no check was done on my phone other than just a brief visual inspection. I've since re-rooted and am waiting for my safestrap backup to re-load, but I'll let you know what the que score is once I SBF back to stock to send it back in a couple of days.

That's awesome to hear about the G3 - I could have gotten one today, but it would have meant forking over ~$180 for an accessories pack full of stuff I'd never use (bluetooth speaker, etc.). So, I'll wait... as long as the earpiece on this replacement unit doesn't fuzz out again, I can stand another 4 months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah, It is in the Recovery Menu(blue list) look towards the bottom. It's yellow and is supposedly coded in the firmware(beyond my scope), supposedly not hackable(?) but it reads as follows:

que 0/0... that means no root & never rooted

que 0/1 ...." " no current root but was rooted at one point.

que 0/2........"....." " " " twice..etc..

que 1/1....means phone is currently rooted.

Anything except the 1st que 0/0 will cost $300. According to Verizon TechII 4/10/14.
    Lame! At that point, just seek out a refurbished Droid 4 on eBay or elsewhere for less and don't deal with Verizon's equally refurbished replacements.