Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,223 Members 52,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Warning! Samsung's My Magazine Home.apk

Tip us?

anticloud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Warning! Samsung's My Magazine Home.apk

Warning!

Samsung's My Magazine Home.Apk reads your contacts as mail is received -

and a side effect bug. If "My Magazine Home.apk" is removed from the system folder and you have email notification switched on - you will get an error, email will stop working if you attempt to open your incoming email from the notification bar...
The Following User Says Thank You to anticloud For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tokan_one
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Well this solves my entire issue damn I had no idea why Email was doing that on Stock
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon RE)
ROM: 4.4.2 LEAK -- Stock
Kernel: Stock

Tablet: iPad (3rd Generation)
ROM: iOS 7.1.1

Previous Phones: (AT&T) Motorola RAZR V3 > iPhone 1 > Samsung Feature Phone > iPhone 1 > (Verizon) Samsung Feature Phone > Motorola Droid 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Motorola Droid Bionic > Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > iPhone 5 > (current)

anticloud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default App Ops? - the answer? Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokan_one View Post
Well this solves my entire issue damn I had no idea why Email was doing that on Stock
This is a function of trust I guess -

On my ROM, Beanstown106's Jellybeans Rom for Note 3 - *MJE version; I opted to put My Magazine back but go to App Ops, find Magazine, and revoke permissions for reading contacts, and updates etc... Will it work, dunno?

To further prevent "stuff" from happening with Magazine, I cracked open SQL Lite editor, found the My Magazine database, and looked in the config table - stripped it of all personal account information (e.g. contacts, music, video, etc) - whatever I can find... whacked it...

Have a nice day

Morlok8k
Old
Thanks Meter 245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticloud View Post
This is a function of trust I guess -

On my ROM, Beanstown106's Jellybeans Rom for Note 3 - *MJE version; I opted to put My Magazine back but go to App Ops, find Magazine, and revoke permissions for reading contacts, and updates etc... Will it work, dunno?

To further prevent "stuff" from happening with Magazine, I cracked open SQL Lite editor, found the My Magazine database, and looked in the config table - stripped it of all personal account information (e.g. contacts, music, video, etc) - whatever I can find... whacked it...

Have a nice day
I have two My Magazine's listed:
"sstream.app" & "com.samsung.android.app.lounge"

I've looked in both and i dont see any personal info anywhere.

more info?

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 173
The permissions required to run the app tell the tale. I saw the permissions and immediately closed the app. I got no time for that jibber jabber.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MichaelMcC
Old
Thanks Meter 35
The interesting part is freezing it causes the problem. So whatever actually hands email notification over to My Magazine still tries to do it. I wonder if figuring out what is handing it off could be patched up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app