Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,768 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tripping Knox for root?

Tip us?

abraxo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Tripping Knox for root?

I constantly hear that the reason an exploit is tough to find is because people don't want to set off the Knox. If Knox is tripped, would the phone still work? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fine with voiding warranty if it means we can get rid of all this bloatware

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

TOA Duck
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxo View Post
I constantly hear that the reason an exploit is tough to find is because people don't want to set off the Knox. If Knox is tripped, would the phone still work? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fine with voiding warranty if it means we can get rid of all this bloatware

You have been mis informed. An exploit has not been found at all. If it is, Knox will more than likely be tripped.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Infuse
Samsung Focus WP7
iPhone 3g good riddance

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic3113310_1.gif

Alarand
Old
(Last edited by Alarand; 10th May 2014 at 10:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxo View Post

If you "trip" knox in the sense that you're talking about, by flashing anything that isn't the official att firmware, your phone won't boot. (bootloader lock)

I believe there's a counter that gets tripped when you successfully flash a custom rom so samsung can tell if your warranty is void or not, this isn't what the issue with finding root is however, it's the first part.

Also, the reason why it's so difficult to find an exploit is because att/verizon pay samsung and samsung pays various other parties, likely a lot more than $12,000 (the bounty), to ensure that said exploits are not found and that the device will remain locked.

I don't know why att doesn't offer an unlock service for like 100$ they would make an absolute killing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alarand For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]