[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-29 KK B03]
ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.
THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Safestrap
CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
STABLE v3.71 (JB) / BETA v3.75 (NC2/KK)
WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
- Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (2 on the N3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.
NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
- You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
- Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
- For more information you can read up here:
INSTALL VIDEO by DMX (For VZW Device): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZI...e_gdata_player
HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?
- Requirement: Root
- [NEW FOR v3.72+ KK Safestrap] Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
- Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
- Download the Safestrap APK
- Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
- (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
- Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
- Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
- Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
- From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
- That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x
During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).
HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
- Push the APK up to your sdcard.
- Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
- [NEW 2013-12-19]Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
- THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
- Browse to where you pushed the APK
- Click on it and install like normal
- Once installed, open the APK
- Grant SU access
- Use the "Install Recovery" button
- All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using
NEW TO v3.75:
- [v3.75] If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
- [v3.72] Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
- [v3.72] If you installed the custom-safestrap APK by @drakeymcmb please use "Uninstall Recovery" and then uninstall that APK before installing a new one. They have different signatures and you will end up with 2 Safestraps and 2 hijacks.. which is very NOT good.
- [v3.72] Busybox is now required for the Safestrap APK to work correctly
- [v3.72] ROM-SLOTs aren't supported yet
- [v3.72] "Reboot Recovery" doesn't work in the APK
- If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
- No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock Note 3 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.
- If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3
FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:
- TWRP 2.7.1.x update for the base recovery.
- ROM-SLOTs now have a 16gb size limit (vs 4gb previously) [THEY DON'T WORK YET IN KK THO SO BE PATIENT]
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-HLTEATT-NC2-3.75-B03.apk
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-HLTEATT-3.71.apk
Mirror 2 (Crackflasher)
As of version 3.75, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/
WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.
For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.
Special Thanks To
DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
Safestrap Recovery v3.71 (JB) / v3.75_B03 (NC2/KK), Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
, DeesTroy & TeamWin
Current Stable Version:
Stable Release Date:
Current Beta Version:
Beta Release Date: