Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 40,273 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fingerprint Scanner buggy?

Tip us?

YoungAceAtlanta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Default Fingerprint Scanner buggy?

Am i the only one having problems with the Fingerprint scanner not working? i mean it works far as detecting my fingerprint but it only ask for my fingerprint once to unlock the device not multiple times after i lock my device
Phone History/Current line up

Android:
Samsung Galaxy S5 - White
HTC One M8 - Gunmetal
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Nexus 10
iOS:
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0
iPad Mini iOS 6.X

Borii
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Not multiple times? Not sure I understand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

karmuh
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAceAtlanta View Post
Am i the only one having problems with the Fingerprint scanner not working? i mean it works far as detecting my fingerprint but it only ask for my fingerprint once to unlock the device not multiple times after i lock my device
Do you mean that once you unlock your device using the fingerprint, and then lock your device, it doesn't ask for the fingerprint again? If so, that's because you need to change the "secured lock time". It's under Settings > Lock screen > Secured Lock Time. Set the timer lower or have it instantly lock whenever the display turns off.
Retired Devices:
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5S (Damaged)
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5

Current Devices:
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) -- OS X 10.9.3
[White] 16GB AT&T Galaxy S5 -- KitKat 4.4.2 --
Rooted via Towelroot
The Following User Says Thank You to karmuh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuh View Post
Do you mean that once you unlock your device using the fingerprint, and then lock your device, it doesn't ask for the fingerprint again? If so, that's because you need to change the "secured lock time". It's under Settings > Lock screen > Secured Lock Time. Set the timer lower or have it instantly lock whenever the display turns off.
This is what I had to do. It is unfortunate the fingerprint reader only lets you register 3 fingers.

YoungAceAtlanta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Not multiple times? Not sure I understand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
Sorry i meant when i lock my device after unlocking it with my fingerprint the device does not require my print again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuh View Post
Thanks that fixed it. Didn't see that option
Phone History/Current line up

Android:
Samsung Galaxy S5 - White
HTC One M8 - Gunmetal
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Nexus 10
iOS:
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0
iPad Mini iOS 6.X

Dark_Vortex
Old
Thanks Meter 5
It's been my experience so far that the default setting out of the box allows you to unlock the phone for a few minutes without requiring a fingerprint just in case you locked your phone & forgot to one last thing.

Of course, I can see the benefit of setting the time-out for this feature if one has a very suspicious mate or is doing things to warrant a mate to be suspicious.

edditnyc
Old
Thanks Meter 294
I'm surprised, the reviews made it seems like fingerprint wasn't reliable but it's great. Even had my girlfriend try it. No GS5 for her.

Dark_Vortex
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edditnyc View Post
I'm surprised, the reviews made it seems like fingerprint wasn't reliable but it's great. Even had my girlfriend try it. No GS5 for her.
If you watch some of the video reviews, not all...but some, it looks like they were trying to make it malfunction on purpose to make it look bad.

I still get a bad read every once in awhile, but I'm at probably a 99% success rate. I'm *very* pleased.